Hey Guys how we all doing today?
I am in the need of some opinions
A few years ago I stripped my Epi Special 2 leaving only a blank body.

I now have decided to completely redo the guitar from the ground up, and in starting this build I am in the need of a new neck. I am not really worried about the neck fitting right away as I have a decent amount of woodworking experience.

What I am looking for is quality though, I'm not afraid to spend a little more for a good neck but do you guys have any experience with Chinese made necks? There were 2 specific ones I had in mind

Also I haven't been able to find the one neck I'd really want though. That'd be a maple fretboard with a vine inlay; there were several I found but they all had strat headstocks of which I am not a fan.

Any help or comments would be appreciated thanks
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
so you stripped a $149.95 guitar and want to put on it what amounts to a custom made "quality" neck at possibly 3x the cost or more? as you say, i have to question that...

the block inlay on the $28 ebay neck is crooked. for $28 you get what you get. what do you think decent inlay costs? doing vine inlay isn't cheap nor easy, so why not try a decal of some sort on a neck with dots? you could hide them with the sticker or pull them out and fill them in and put the graphic on top.
Last edited by ad_works at Dec 28, 2015,
I'm not against cheap bodies at all - a couple of mine are truly awful by any standards except performance - but I wouldn't buy a cheap replacement neck. One of mine is worthless body/Warmoth Pro neck.

The main question I have is how can you be sure that a replacement neck will fit on what might be a non-standard body? Can someone can offer advice on that.
This isn't what you want to hear, but if you want to get a better guitar in a manner that's remotely cost-effective, then this is a waste of time. If you just want to have a bit of fun, then more power to you. But personally, I try to buy guitars were I don't have to put a significant amount of money into them to make them any good.

Getting a neck like that to fit into the body of your guitar is going to be a total crapshoot and will more likely than not, not work with your guitar. But I'm sure you already know that and accept that risk. I also wouldn't trust a Chinese seller that cannot spell for a femtosecond.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 28, 2015,
Thanks for the input guys, this really is a build just for fun though. I have other guitars that will no doubt play better but wanted to make this one playable again as it was my first guitar.
I guess my real question was if anyone has any experience with these necks and if so how do they feel in comparison to other necks.
I know it's not warmoth quality but I guess I didn't specify I don't want to spend a couple hundred on a neck. Sorry for the confusion
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
Quote by WildMiles96

I now have decided to completely redo the guitar from the ground up, and in starting this build I am in the need of a new neck. I am not really worried about the neck fitting right away as I have a decent amount of woodworking experience.

I guess I'd be most worried about fitting the neck so that the scale and intonation would be correct (and, well, then there's the proper neck angle and...). It's certainly not like fitting a Fender spec neck to a Fender spec body.
I am thinking more like dspellman. I would be more concerned with intonation issues using a neck that wasn't designed for the body and neck cavity. On the other hand I have done some unorthodox things as an experiment and some of it worked (some didn't) so why not try it.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Thought I'd let you guys know I bit the bullet and ended up buying a PRS replica with ghost birds and a maple fretboard. Also got some stain while was at it. I'll let you know how the finished product turns out, thanks for the input
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox