I'm a big 70's/80's classic/hard rock fan looking to learn electric guitar. I've listed below the songs I want to learn. Looking for any feedback on what type of guitar would do these songs the most justice. Budget is $500 or below...many thanks

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak, Free - All Right Now, Aerosmith - Walkin the dog, ACDC - Sin city, Kiss - Cold gin - Grand funk - american band, Foreigner - dirty white boy, Tommy tutone - 867-5309, Nazareth - Hair of the dog, Billy Squier - everybody wants you, Bowie - Suffragette city, Mellencamp - Hurts so good, 38 Special - If I'd been the one, Cheap Trick - surrender, CCR - Born on the bayou, ZZ top - tush, Bryan Adams - Cuts like a knife, Rick Springfield - Jessie's girl
I can't really speak for the other bands because I don't particularly listen to 70's/80's hard rock, but Angus from AC/DC used a Gibson SG. Of course, that is way out of your price range, so I'd say an Epiphone SG. For that hard rock, you'll definitely want to be looking into Epiphone verisons of Gibson guitars because those were very popular(still are) for that hard rock style you wish to play.
Quote by rockpile2015
I'm a big 70's/80's classic/hard rock fan looking to learn electric guitar. I've listed below the songs I want to learn. Looking for any feedback on what type of guitar would do these songs the most justice. Budget is $500 or below...many thanks

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak, Free - All Right Now, Aerosmith - Walkin the dog, ACDC - Sin city, Kiss - Cold gin - Grand funk - american band, Foreigner - dirty white boy, Tommy tutone - 867-5309, Nazareth - Hair of the dog, Billy Squier - everybody wants you, Bowie - Suffragette city, Mellencamp - Hurts so good, 38 Special - If I'd been the one, Cheap Trick - surrender, CCR - Born on the bayou, ZZ top - tush, Bryan Adams - Cuts like a knife, Rick Springfield - Jessie's girl

Although everything falls into a similar enough category, you have listed some varying playing styles of guitar. if you want to play all of these I would just suggest something versatile. an epiphone les paul (or sg mentioned^) is a great guitar that could serve you well. even better if you could get some coil splitting pick ups so you can do humbucker sounds and single coil sounds (not as good as true single coils though).

Another thing to consider is 2 cheaper guitars in the price range. you can pick up a squire strat for $150, and that leaves you $350 to pick up a epiphone les paul. those would both be used prices, but for those prices you're looking at middle to upper condition for those guitars.

and of course the follow up is that the guitar is much less important than the amp when you're talking about tone and trying to replicate a sound. do you already have an amp or are you budgeting for an amp as well?
thanks for the guitar advice....as for the amp I was hoping for $200 or less for something decent, but please tell me if thats unrealistic and what I should look for...many thanks
Check out Epiphone's Les Paul Plustop Pro! They sound great and are well within your budget. They are often marked down further with one of GC's 15% off coupons or from other competitive resellers. These have the Epiphone latest Probuckers with Coil Splitting via the Push Pull Vol knobs.

As for an Amp, check out the Fender Mustang III (v2).
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps