I have a double humbucker ibanez that has a 5 way switch
bridge
bridge parallel
neck and bridge
neck series
neck

and i want to change the bridge to a single coil using this ring converter

http://www.amazon.com/Allparts-Humbucker-Single-Pickup-Conversion/dp/B002MWKOHI

i was wondering if i could just wire in the single coil into the same spot that the previous pickup was in or would that not work? it has ibanez's normal 5 way switch and was wondering if i could do this so that way i have a true single coil in the bridge and the neck humbucker would still be able to use the 3,4, and 5th position. what would the 2nd position be? if i can't, would it be a good idea to just use a 3 way switch instead?
Sure, you can do that. If you drop the new pickup in to the current wiring, you'll get the same thing in positions 1 and 2 (just regular bridge pickup).

Might be useful to wire position 1 to mute the guitar.
Quote by Roc8995
Sure, you can do that. If you drop the new pickup in to the current wiring, you'll get the same thing in positions 1 and 2 (just regular bridge pickup).

okay thanks
Quote by Roc8995

how do i do this The new single coil only has two wires, a black and a white. The old one had one big black wire that was split and had 3 wires inside it. Which was a red and white. And then the ground
Last edited by GuitarNewbee at Jan 20, 2016,
the mounting ring is for cosmetic purpose i found you could use a single coil just fine without an adaptor, i did it to my warlock years ago when i needed to try out a stacked single coil I started to sell in my local classifieds , bought a big box of them and sold them like hot cakes for 3-4x the money... anyways..

try this , this is the most diverse 5 way regular 8 contact blade switch wiring you can do without any annoying hum.... however since you want bridge to go parallel do it backwards.

bridge - series (full power)
bridge parallel (hum cancelling weaking sound)
bridge/neck together , like the classic 2nd position on a les paul or SG
bridge/neck coilsplitted with the inner coils for that tighter coilsplitted sound , no hum
neck - series (full power)

of course if you got an import 5 way blade remember the contacts become inline so
13500135 still applies just instead of
1350 (left hand side)
0135 (right hand side)
it is in one line , i've elaborated on it below the harness.

here's the wiring if both your pickups are 4 wire , regardless if they match brand you've got this, this was used in fender showmasters but honestly why not. If you wanted a super 5 way switch you could do a lot more but this is still a great wiring. I like my 2 push pulls and 12 tones but these are 5 very useful tones for players, i have lots of other custom harnesses people can save too on my photobucket.

i made this tonight to shed a bit of insight with import blade toggles as i got some weird blade toggles with 3 contacts but it'll help you out too
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jan 19, 2016,
Quote by Tallwood13
the mounting ring is for cosmetic purpose i found you could use a single coil just fine without an adaptor, i did it to my warlock years ago when i needed to try out a stacked single coil I started to sell in my local classifieds , bought a big box of them and sold them like hot cakes for 3-4x the money... anyways..

try this , this is the most diverse 5 way regular 8 contact blade switch wiring you can do without any annoying hum.... however since you want bridge to go parallel do it backwards.

bridge - series (full power)
bridge parallel (hum cancelling weaking sound)
bridge/neck together , like the classic 2nd position on a les paul or SG
bridge/neck coilsplitted with the inner coils for that tighter coilsplitted sound , no hum
neck - series (full power)

of course if you got an import 5 way blade remember the contacts become inline so
13500135 still applies just instead of
1350 (left hand side)
0135 (right hand side)
it is in one line , i've elaborated on it below the harness.

here's the wiring if both your pickups are 4 wire , regardless if they match brand you've got this, this was used in fender showmasters but honestly why not. If you wanted a super 5 way switch you could do a lot more but this is still a great wiring. I like my 2 push pulls and 12 tones but these are 5 very useful tones for players, i have lots of other custom harnesses people can save too on my photobucket.

i made this tonight to shed a bit of insight with import blade toggles as i got some weird blade toggles with 3 contacts but it'll help you out too

Wow thanks so much for that really helps. Is there any other possible combinations I could get out of it? I'm still confused on how to do this with the new fender pickup because it's only is one wire coming out the hot wire, and then the ground wire. Instead of the ground, and then 2 coming out the hot. And what do you mean do it backwards? The order or the wiring?
2 wire pickups you are only limited to the one sound out of the pickups unfortunately , however you can have fun with capacitors and all altering the sounds.

well backwards for this wiring it's kind of difficult to explain but pretty much you focus on the 5 wires coming out of each pickup, what is done to the neck pickup do to the bridge and still follow the 1350 0135 pattern. It would take me a while to explain as comprehensively as my last post as I'm very visual.