There are too many options online! Its very intimidating. I want to crack some slash solos in the future but at the moment I am learning some Gilmour stuff. I can play comfortably numb well enough to enjoy listening to a recording of myself playing it. Although I am not planning on playing night train for a while I want to be able to do some solo exercises that let me improve my speed and clarity with hammer-ons and pull-offs so that I can fly through those bluesy pentatonic riffs more quickly in the future. Do you people have links, or examples? THANKS. And btw what are some other good technique building exercises?
Play your favorite solos. This is how i got comfortable playing solos. I never had the patience to do finger exercises because those are so tedious and boring. It's much more effect in my opinion to play an actual solo that is in a song.
I agree with J23L ... a great way to improve, if you have a PC, is to get a copy of Transcribe (from seventh string). Load up the track, mark out the solo (or part of it), slow it down and loop it, and work it out by ear. Listen carefully to distinguish picking from hammer on and pull offs. Listen closely for nuances (how notes are dressed up, either going into a note, or coming out of it at the end of a phrase. Listen for slides ... that can give a strong clue for how a run is being played, such as along one or two strings, or whether it's vertically across the neck.

Play along at whatever speed is comfy ... then notch it up. More important to worry about accuracy at whatever speed that is.

I do find finger independence exercise useful, but at very slow speeds, and for me because I have nerve damage in my fretting hand, which is still recuperating. This is all about very fine control of motion, trying to minimiseany tension or motion in all but the finger I'm using (to hammer on or to pull off).

No matter how slow or fast, always check your body for tension ... observe it, and figure out how to remove it (it's always some form of relaxation). Speed is all about beng relaxed, confident, and using minimum motion.
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Dec 29, 2015,
Learn some Ace Frehley solos from KISS during 73-78. Really good introduction to all rock and blues techniques.

Play the Comfortably Numb solo in a different key. Try play it over a backing track with a different key, tempo or style. Make the licks you learned in Comfortably Numb fit this new key and groove. Think of learning licks from solos just like you needed to learn chords to play rhythm.

For the solos you can already play, do some analysis like learning what note you are finishing phrases on.
Visit my music school site for advice on gear, music theory and lessons.
www.essm.net.au
One of the things I love to do to expand creativity is to take a piece I'm going to write a solo over and go through it once only playing ONE note. Eek everything you can out of that one note. It will force you to think up more dynamics and rhythmic diversity so you aren't just trying to peel off notes, but rather writing something creative. Then do it with two and then three. By the time you get to three you should be whipping out some really interesting stuff. Then go ahead and write the whole thing. Works for me every time.