Hi, I started playing guitar about 2 years ago, all by myself, started with my elder bro's electric and his amp (well, he's a doctor now and can't spare ANY time).

I learnt my first song as "Take a Little Ride" by Jason Aldean... On YouTube.

Since quite long, I loved guitar songs, the fiery solos or sexy licks, and always wanted to play.
So, I didn't learn the conventional way from a tutor (heck, i don't even know).

learnt playing guitar by playing my favorite easy songs. No techniques, scales, etc.
Later, in a year, i started looking up scales and began practicing them, bought an acoustic (AFTER HANDLING AN ELECTRIC). So now i can play common chords, octaves, jam in a few scales here and there, play small licks and solos... and a few other common techniques.

-Played in the freshers welcome function in my univ once (AS IF THAT REALLY COUNTS)

All that history was to give you an idea of what and how much i know. So based on that, my questions are,

1) what is next in learning, howto and whatto.

2) Planning on nagging dad to get me my first electric. So, 6 string or 7? Both are around the same cost but maybe different brands and i looooooove the JHHHRRRRRR JHHHHRRRRR low fluidish sound that metal uses in low riffs or really heavy power chords
well what guitar and amp do you currently have and that will give us an idea of what you might need.

Also we need budget and location and styles of music you want to play
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 29, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
well what guitar and amp do you currently have and that will give us an idea of what you might need.

Also we need budget and location and styles of music you want to play

I'm from India, I like most of the popular genres, country rock, rock, metal, djent(after getting to know of the INTERVALS band), classic rock, etc.

I have my own acoustic by GBnA (local manufacturer) got at about Rs. 6k with guitar, cover, picks and a tuner mounted capo. ~ $90.

My brother has an old squier start he bought about 6-7 years ago at about Rs. 13-15k and a stranger cube 20m amp. ~$195 to $225.

my budget could be around Rs. 15-16k with minor fluctuations ~$250.
also, im fixated on zoom G1on.
I probably wouldn't need an amp.
Till then im using guitar rig 5 with a generic usb audio link.
Last edited by niranjan23d at Dec 29, 2015,
since I'm not familiar with your domestic market, my advice is to go try as many guitars as you can and choose which is the best feel to you.

If you like the squier (I assume it is a strat model) the Squier VM series is pretty nice, or something like a LP shape. The LTD EC series is pretty nice and there is probably something in your price range.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
since I'm not familiar with your domestic market, my advice is to go try as many guitars as you can and choose which is the best feel to you.

If you like the Squier (I assume it is a strat model) the Squier VM series is pretty nice, or something like a LP shape. The LTD EC series is pretty nice and there is probably something in your price range.

----> So, given my skill level, what can i learn new, what should i do to be consistent in play speed or not missing notes...

----> Also, I believe I'm a beginner (PRO BEGINNER MAYBE), does it mean i need to reach a level before getting exposed to the "GLORY" a 7 string model? Or is it just like buying any other guitar? Can i purchase it straight away?

also, i prefer thick, viscous tones from humbuckers.
Quote by niranjan23d
----> So, given my skill level, what can i learn new, what should i do to be consistent in play speed or not missing notes...

----> Also, I believe I'm a beginner (PRO BEGINNER MAYBE), does it mean i need to reach a level before getting exposed to the "GLORY" a 7 string model? Or is it just like buying any other guitar? Can i purchase it straight away?

also, i prefer thick, viscous tones from humbuckers.

Try different styles like jazz to get you familiarized with other styles that you can use in what you play.

I've been playing for 20+yrs and everyone starts somewhere.

It is purely up to you when and if you want a 7 string. I have never felt the need for one. I will say that having a decent idea if 6 string will deff be better when transitioning to a 7 string.

You should checkout LTD and Ibanez guitars they might suit your needs pretty nice. I still suggest you go to any local music store and try everything in your price range and even some that are higher priced so you know what you do and do not want in a guitar and if you need or want to save a bit more money to get something you really like.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A lot of beginners these days start with metal. It's basic, simple, produces big noises and lets them sound like what they hear behind football games and pickup commercials. The old alternative was learning to play "Mary had a little lamb," chord forms and scales to a metronome. Doing the latter does more to teach you how to play the guitar (and having a teacher who will correct your fretting hand shape and your picking technique will do the same) but metal keeps some folks interested.

Nothing fancy about a 7-string; it's a six-string with an added B string. And there's certainly no problem in starting with one; you can learn all the six-string things on it easily enough.

At some point, "thick, viscous tones from humbuckers" will become a bit boring and repetitive, as will low tunings and metal rhythms, and you'll want to branch out. At that point, you'll probably have to start learning about positions, scales and theory, and you may even develop an appreciation for single coils, etc. Jazz chord forms might begin to light you up. Don't lock yourself in to one thing. There's lots out there.