I just heard from my dad and having looked it up, it seems genuine. He only found out he was sick on the 26th. The band said:

“There is no easy way to say this … our mighty, noble friend Lemmy passed away today after a short battle with an extremely aggressive cancer. He had learned of the disease on 26 December, and was at home, sitting in front of his favourite video game from The Rainbow which had recently made it’s way down the street, with his family.

“We cannot begin to express our shock and sadness; there aren’t words.

“We will say more in the coming days, but for now, please … play Motörhead loud, play Hawkwind loud, play Lemmy’s music LOUD. Have a drink or few.

“Share stories.

“Celebrate the LIFE this lovely, wonderful man celebrated so vibrantly himself.

“HE WOULD WANT EXACTLY THAT.

“Ian ‘Lemmy’ Kilmister

“1945 -2015

“Born to lose, lived to win.”
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Back in my university days, I had a friend who loved hard rock music and metal. She loved Motorhead and she used to blast Ace of Spades every time it played on the car radio. She, like, Lemmy tended to live life on the edge to its fullest.

When I found out she had passed away from cancer earlier this year, I blasted the song on my way to work.

I like to think that in the great beyond, Lemmy has a fan waiting for him that could match him drink to drink at the dive bar at the end of the universe.

RIP Lemmy, you were an original in a world that seems to lack originals more and more.
Christ, I remember way back when I would go to see Oma and Opa in The Netherlands as a kid. MTV was still very much a music video channel. Not speaking the native language, I'd spend a lot of time in the TV room with my sister rather than sit and listen to the garbled tongue of the Dutch. Ace of Spades was played so much during the day, and every time I was just so happy that it came on. I hadn't really progressed down the road of rock and metal past The Eagles at that point in my musical interests, and Motörhead was very much one of the bands that put me down that trail.

Getting older and delving more into the genre, I just loved how Lemmy really didn't give a flying f*ck, but not in a pretentious, better than you way. It was 'this is me.'

Although he could never get me liking Rickenbackers
Lemmy, your passing closes a significant chapter in the lives of bassists younger than I.

It appears that your distortion style from Ace of Spades made a significant impact on a young bassist named Cliff Burton.

While I came from the classical and Jazz Schools, the kids of the street have never been the same since your anthem was played to them.

You will remain a name near the top of the list of most influential bassists, by your style which was driven simply by your life.

The Chapter began with your anthem, the Ace of Spades. The second part of the chapter was it being heard and influencing a young Cliff Burton.

The third part of the Chapter is Cliff on tour drawing the Ace of Spades to win the right to the Bus Suite and then being found under the bus when it rolls over later that night,

The fourth part is when a childhood guitarist pall bearer friend of Cliff befriends me, hears me play at a music store after years of not playing for anyone but myself, and tells me I must play for people again. Later I am taken on by a band that makes me play your anthem at every gig, with my two distortions running and high and mid range cranking, always a bit intimidated by this epic you created.

From you, to Cliff, to his friend, to me. Unbeknownst to you, you hold a part of the cause of me playing for people again. A story of passions, happenstance, friendship, tragedy, and triumph of inspiration connects us all.

The chapter in bass that is you is now closed.

Your anthem continues to rip on through time and space.

Our love and appreciation follows closely behind.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
He inspired greatness in a lot of future bassist and even lead and rhythm guitarists. The band was one of the most top-tier bands ever...and a huge chunk of it can never be found again. Quite the inspiration for some of my grooves too. He will be missed severely, if that's not stating the obvious

-Sharky
Young Lemmy :O Wow, he looks even more badass than he did nowadays. Not having the older flair though, but hey. Chopper riding works well too. Those vocals were certainly bettered over the years lol