Now that I finally have an amp that I really love and treasure (Mesa Mark V) I want to be perfectly sure that how I'm using it is correct and safe but also not overly paranoid

1. When not playing the amp I keep it unplugged from the electrical socket to avoid any surges or spikes that could possibly hurt it.

2. After powering up I give the tubes about a minute or so to warm up before turning Standby on. I also make sure my Master Volume is all the way down (I'm not sure if this is necessary, I just do it out of habit and I don't know if it would hurt the amp or the tubes in the long run, turning Standby on with the Master above zero).

3. Before turning Standby off I turn the Master Volume all the way down.

4. I let the amp cool for about 30 minutes before I put the head cover back on it to let it release the heat.

Is any of the above overreacting or is this the correct way to do it all? What do you think? Cheers
Well, that's overkill and some of it is a bit silly, but it won't hurt anything.

If you're serious about protecting it from spikes and overvoltage, get a proper power conditioner. That will protect the amp while it's being used, which is when it's most likely to be damaged. Unless your house gets hit by lightning, unplugging the amp while it's off isn't really protecting against much of anything.
Quote by richaxes
Now that I finally have an amp that I really love and treasure (Mesa Mark V) I want to be perfectly sure that how I'm using it is correct and safe but also not overly paranoid

1. When not playing the amp I keep it unplugged from the electrical socket to avoid any surges or spikes that could possibly hurt it.

2. After powering up I give the tubes about a minute or so to warm up before turning Standby on. I also make sure my Master Volume is all the way down (I'm not sure if this is necessary, I just do it out of habit and I don't know if it would hurt the amp or the tubes in the long run, turning Standby on with the Master above zero).

4. I let the amp cool for about 30 minutes before I put the head cover back on it to let it release the heat.

Is any of the above overreacting or is this the correct way to do it all? What do you think? Cheers

1. I do the same thing

2. it is typical to wait 30 sec-1 minutes. The volume thing is not a big deal.

3. not necessary

4. Not necessary, but it surely isn't going to hurt anything.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I wouldn't call it paranoid. It's like the sorts of people who let their car warm up after start and open the hood after shut down to vent heat. It's not necessary, but it doesn't hurt and might save you a bit of grief wayyyyyy down the line.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by AcousticMirror
standby is not necessary

+1
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i unplug my amps as well. not because of surge worries but more about making sure it isn't turned on by accident when the mrs is cleaning. she likely won't notice and it could be on for hours which will eat up tubes. i also tend to turn the master down just so i don't get any suprises when i plug in (a couple of times i didn't check and suprise the amp was on like 6, to loud to keep the peace.)
I do none of those things and I've never had an issue with any amp. From Voxs and Marshalls to Boogie Stilettos and Rectumfriers.

Probably still not a terrible idea to unplug your amp if a big storm is on the way though. Lightning can be a bitch to electronics
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I unplug the amplifier, remove the tubes (after they've cooled, of course), wrap them in bubble wrap and then put them in an airline case. The amp goes into its airline case, which is carefully wrapped in flotation gear (in case of flood). The cabinet goes face down (in case of an earthquake, the voice coils will go more straight up and down) and the head is positioned so that the transformers won't distort the chassis in case of an earthquake.

The tubes are then put on a small altar with the proper offerings and two candles are lit. Then I double check the insurance policies (flood and earthquake riders) and make sure that the coverage is up to date and that the premiums are paid. Can't be too careful.

Honestly, your precautions sound a bit less trouble than mine, and nothing at all wrong with them. Truth is, mine stay plugged into the wall, but perhaps I should rethink that.
Quote by Robbgnarly
1. I do the same thing

2. it is typical to wait 30 sec-1 minutes. The volume thing is not a big deal.

3. not necessary

4. Not necessary, but it surely isn't going to hurt anything.

Agree with all of the above.
Except #2
I've got an AC30 and rumor has it, using the standby switch is bad for the rectifier tube.
YMMV

I flip both switches on at the same time.

Quote by dspellman
I unplug the amplifier, remove the tubes (after they've cooled, of course), wrap them in bubble wrap and then put them in an airline case. The amp goes into its airline case, which is carefully wrapped in flotation gear (in case of flood). The cabinet goes face down (in case of an earthquake, the voice coils will go more straight up and down) and the head is positioned so that the transformers won't distort the chassis in case of an earthquake.

The tubes are then put on a small altar with the proper offerings and two candles are lit. Then I double check the insurance policies (flood and earthquake riders) and make sure that the coverage is up to date and that the premiums are paid. Can't be too careful.

Honestly, your precautions sound a bit less trouble than mine, and nothing at all wrong with them. Truth is, mine stay plugged into the wall, but perhaps I should rethink that.

What?
Did you fire the Navy Seals and Hazmat team you had guarding it?

Edit:
Its far better to be overly cautious than haphazard about it.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 29, 2015,
Yeah I keep the standby switch flipped all the time and I just keep my guitar volume rolled down until it warms up.

Edit: even that might be uneccesary, I just love the sound of rolling up the volume all dramatic and let a fatass D chord ring out
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Dec 29, 2015,
I once had a girl take my combo by the by the cable in the input jack and drag it to my room. Because moms don't have time for your shit, that's why.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I once had a girl take my combo by the by the cable in the input jack and drag it to my room. Because moms don't have time for your shit, that's why.

Once had a jam when I was in So Cal.
My buddy brought some new guy over, we set up, went outside for a smoke.
I come back in the house and this new asshole has his mic plugged into my AC30.
I let him know in no uncertain terms that my amp was OFF LIMITS to anyone without my permission first, And I wasn't a really nice guy about it.
He never came back.
Because I don't have time for THAT SHIT!

That amp is MY baby. Don't fucking touch it. Don't even ask to touch it. Don't even look at it. Don't even think about looking at it.

However, that friend of mine in question, I would him let use it anytime he wanted (he still has to ask first, but he has enough class to already know that), but we've known each other since around 79 or 80 and both of us first started playing guitar around 1981.
We were like Rossington - Collins Jr.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 29, 2015,
I would say starting with the volume at 0 is just a good habit to have. No one likes the guitarist that starts at 11 when the venue needs a 2. I think it's better to start low and get louder than to start loud and get louder. But thats neither here nor there
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by richaxes

1. Nope I do the same.

2. I generally give a minute of warm-up time.

3. Nah.

4. Maybe 5 minutes tops.
Quote by dspellman

Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 30, 2015,
Quote by Katsock
I would say starting with the volume at 0 is just a good habit to have. No one likes the guitarist that starts at 11 when the venue needs a 2. I think it's better to start low and get louder than to start loud and get louder. But thats neither here nor there

My amp sits there a lot. Unless the damned cat has gotten to it, everything should be same-same.

Otherwise, yeah start low. Who knows what's been going on with that damned volume knob lately.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Nothing wrong with babying your amp. My question is, how are you going to baby it when you start transporting it to gigs and rehearsals. That's when most of the damage gets done to amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
My amp sits there a lot. Unless the damned cat has gotten to it, everything should be same-same.

Otherwise, yeah start low. Who knows what's been going on with that damned volume knob lately.

Oh well yea, if you don't move it set and forget it haha. I can't even remember the last time I played my amp that wasn't in a venue. I do performances 10 times a week when I'm on the road and leave it in the trailer/garage at my friends when I'm home for the holidays.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by dspellman

This gave me the best LOL I've had in a while. Since I only light one candle, I DO think two is overkill.
The best thing you can do for your amp is buy a power conditioner. I got a Furman on craigslist for $40, & the peace of mind is priceless. If you play at a club, you never know what jinky wiring they may have in the building, but I use it at home too. Better safe than sorry.
Also, if you must move your amp after shutting down, you may want to wait a couple minutes for it to cool down a bit in case you bang the amp into something or jar it. I've heard it's something about the tubes being susceptible to damage if jarred while hot. dspellman could explain why that is.
Also, never put your beer on an upward-vented amp. Bad shit can happen.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011