I bought a PODxt earlier this year (around summer) to get myself somewhat of a better practise amp that could be silent as well (big plus!) and I can also record stuff at home, which is awesome. I bought this one second-hand and it came without the additional model packs. I'm quite liking the world of amp-modeling and I'm considering diving deeper into their possibilities (also for live usage). For now I;m wondering whether I should get the additional model packs from Line 6, as they're on sale now until the 31st. I've read that it greatly expands the tonal capabilities of the PODxt, but I'm also a little bit sceptical as all this stuff is relatively old. So, my following questions arise here:

- is the PODxt still a viable option in 2016 for home usage and recording?
- if so, should I get the additional model packs?
- or should I abandon the PODxt altogether and go for something else?

Thanks a lot for any replies!
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
The model packs probably won't have any resale value at all. Your XT (assuming not live) is probably worth about $80. So you could look at eBay and GC used for the Pod HD (or X3) and see if you could get it and sell the XT for around the same price as buying model packs. I would decide based on that price differential. My inclination is to not buy the model packs, but I have no idea if they are super cheap (which they should be).
it's fine for home recording. i have one and that's what i use. obviously newer models have more and better models but i've found 5-6 models that i use regularily that work just fine. don't really use it for live purposes but in a pinch it can work (but not thru amp at least with the amp models active). some of my stuff done with the XT can be found in my profile
I have an XT and I wouldn't put any more money into it. You can get a POD HD bean for $199. Sell your XT for $75 and throw the extra cash on top of the $80 you'd spend and you'll have something much better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Several options.

1. Take advantage of the model pack sale.
2. Sell the XT and find a good used X3 (nearly everything that came in the model packs and everything that's in the Bass Pod XT is in the X3, I believe) for about the same price as the XT plus model packs.
3. Don't buy model packs sell the XT and buy something even MORE expensive (like the HD series).

I have the XT with the model packs, and the model packs are worth having (and not "obsolete" or anything). That said, I honestly don't think I'd buy the model packs for the XT. I think it would be smarter to find one that already has them installed; it should be LOTS cheaper.
The problem you're going to be battling is how much attention Line6 is likely to be giving the POD XT. Digital processing is moving at light speed with more and better capabilities. Both the customer base and Line 6 will be focusing more and more attention on the newer technologies. I'm not sure it's terribly wise at this point to invest any more money in that technology when you could save that money and move toward the more recent innovations that will continue to have more support in the marketplace.
Quote by dunedindragon
The problem you're going to be battling is how much attention Line6 is likely to be giving the POD XT. Digital processing is moving at light speed with more and better capabilities.

It's a bit weird, but Line 6 has maintained a pretty solid connection with the XT series tech. The older Floor Pods (put out around the same time that the Pod HD was introduced) were actually done with Pod 2.0 sounds built in, and those PREdate the XT. The fact that they've actually got NEW model packs available for the discontinued XT is probably due to the fact that the same model packs work with the software versions as well.

There's not THAT much distance between the XT sounds and those from the current HD series. The same can be said for the 2004 (ish) Variax guitars and the current crop that now comes with its own version of "HD" ness. There have been improvements in the piezos, to be sure, and there's more processing power available to eliminate artifacting with some of the more complicated settings (alternate tuning on a 12-string, for example), but the older guitars are more than serviceable.

While there are improvements, certainly, the old tech has not been rendered obsolete, as happens with old iPads and iPhones.