I have a friend who runs professional sound and he says a lot of regional acts rent amps and just bring their guitars and maybe pedal boards. Do any of you have experience with this and if so, does the tone change from gig to gig affect your playing? I think it would mine.
Quote by AxSlngr
I have a friend who runs professional sound and he says a lot of regional acts rent amps and just bring their guitars and maybe pedal boards. Do any of you have experience with this and if so, does the tone change from gig to gig affect your playing? I think it would mine.

I have played a few tours where on certain dates they provided a backline and I hated those gigs. I don't mind if they provide the cabs as long as they are decent, but I hate using amps that I have little to no experience playing through.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AxSlngr

While I definitely prefer the sound of my own set up, I can handle a backline provided it's not a terrible set up. I should really add a solid heavy distortion pedal to my set up, something that I can play some real hard rock on a Fender twin backline, but right now I have my own pedal board that I can plug into any amp and get a solid sound out. I prefer my amp, but If its a crammed bar or something I dont need it. I can even go ampless with my IEM, but I prefer some sort of amp.

Im flying to florida for a string of shows and im just bringing a guitar and a pedal board. Sadly Im leaving my wireless at home. and my IEMs :/
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by AxSlngr

Used to do that.
Hated it.
Every now and then would come across an absolutely stellar amp, though.

These days you have a LOT more control if you bring your guitar and a modeler and just feed into the PA. Same general idea, but none (or at least *little*) of the tone change.
When there's a crap backline I take my RM20. Small, easy to lug and sounds stellar. Of course though, depending on the venue I will take my RM100. Big and heavy but sounds even better. I take my own mike as well so what's the dude got to complain about?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 29, 2015,
Quote by Katsock
While I definitely prefer the sound of my own set up, I can handle a backline provided it's not a terrible set up. I should really add a solid heavy distortion pedal to my set up, something that I can play some real hard rock on a Fender twin backline, but right now I have my own pedal board that I can plug into any amp and get a solid sound out. I prefer my amp, but If its a crammed bar or something I dont need it. I can even go ampless with my IEM, but I prefer some sort of amp.

Im flying to florida for a string of shows and im just bringing a guitar and a pedal board. Sadly Im leaving my wireless at home. and my IEMs :/

Check your PM's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I can get a usable tone out of pretty much anything (within reason of course), so while I prefer to use my own rig, it's not a problem if I don't get to use it, and it doesn't really bother me much if it's an amp I'm not familiar with - using the backline that has been provided for the gig makes it much easier, transport wise, which sometimes outweighs the benefits of using my own amp

Then again, I have a very minimal approach to getting my tone, so I don't really need anything in particular. As long as I can get a decent overdrive tone which responds to dynamics reasonably well, either from the amp or from a pedal, I'm happy
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Typically guys that do this depend more on their pedalboards and effects for their tone than they do the amps. As long as they can get a good clean tone from the amp they'll manage the tone they send through it. There may be slight differences in some things, but those are mostly fixed by changing the EQ on the amp.

I think you'd be taking a big chance if your tone depended on a specific amp in a situation like this. This is one of the reasons I switched over to using a POD HD 500X, so I can simply plug into the board and have some pretty good assurance the tones will be close to what I expect. A lot of touring guys are starting to go that kind of route. It really simplifies setups and teardowns.
Quote by Blompcube
I can get a usable tone out of pretty much anything (within reason of course), so while I prefer to use my own rig, it's not a problem if I don't get to use it, and it doesn't really bother me much if it's an amp I'm not familiar with - using the backline that has been provided for the gig makes it much easier, transport wise, which sometimes outweighs the benefits of using my own amp

Then again, I have a very minimal approach to getting my tone, so I don't really need anything in particular. As long as I can get a decent overdrive tone which responds to dynamics reasonably well, either from the amp or from a pedal, I'm happy

But you can't get a heavy metal tone if your pedalboard only has an OD to match your 6505!

Granted i don't do that, I don't play heavy metal.
I have it so that my pedalboard works with my amp AND a good platform amp.

Also, most of these people touring and bringing their boards that rent, and not just use a backline, know what they are renting or what they could rent and work with, or at least I imagine since I do that (maybe a list of 5 amps. My rider lists all the equipment I need or use regularly, so a venue can backline a similar amp instead of one of us renting. Now sometimes, renting is super easy too, but not always).
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
But you can't get a heavy metal tone if your pedalboard only has an OD to match your 6505!

Granted i don't do that, I don't play heavy metal.
I have it so that my pedalboard works with my amp AND a good platform amp.

I'd probably want to use my own rig if I played metal, because I think that particular type of guitar tone really needs big closed back cabs for the tight and powerful low end that you just wouldn't get if you turned up to the show only to discover the organisers had brought peavey bandits But I don't play metal, and I don't really need anything that specific, tonally.

It doesn't usually take me long at all to dial in a setting on just about any amp that works for me and allows me to get the range of tonal variation I need by adjusting the controls on the guitar. I only bring a small pedalboard as a "last resort" in case I end up working with a strictly clean/non master volume amp, or an amp with an unreasonably flat and unresponsive overdrive channel, like a crate flexwave.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I have a friend promoter and I've seen some of the riders, they usually say 2 or 3 channel foot switchable tube amp or 3 channel foot switchable high gain amp which is pretty broad. Usually these guitarists are traveling with od pedal and guitar, so that pretty much covers the bases. There are surprises every gig, but it makes you more flexible guitarist. I can pretty much cover the bases with 3 channel tube amp and use overdrive.
Quote by diabolical
I have a friend promoter and I've seen some of the riders, they usually say 2 or 3 channel foot switchable tube amp or 3 channel foot switchable high gain amp which is pretty broad. Usually these guitarists are traveling with od pedal and guitar, so that pretty much covers the bases. There are surprises every gig, but it makes you more flexible guitarist. I can pretty much cover the bases with 3 channel tube amp and use overdrive.

I got thought I was getting a two channel, lead boost high "distortion" machine on tour, I was like YES EXACTLY what I need! It was a upper tier fender that did NOT have the tone I was looking for lol. But I brought my pedal board (all the way to Russia!) and I made it work haha
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
My tone is fairly squarely a P90 into a SLO. Unless the venue has a SLO, an RM100 or maybe a Jet City, I will use my own amp and to hell with what the venue or the sound guy want. It's my gig, not theirs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I played a venue at a metal festival and bands did about 15 min sets through backliner that didn't change, so it was basically 5 minutes to tune your guitar and get line level, then you're on.
I only had a Boss ds-1 into whatever amp the venue had, some kind of jcm800 knockoff, made it work, wasn't my particular sound but the huge moshpit couldn't care less and kept going nuts.
In that case I'd just use my RM20. That takes no longer than laying out a pedalboard. I set it up at the front of the stage next to a wedge and hang a mic on it. I use a Senheisser e609 so I don't even need a mic stand. 5 mins and I'm well ready to roll.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
My tone is fairly squarely a P90 into a SLO. Unless the venue has a SLO, an RM100 or maybe a Jet City, I will use my own amp and to hell with what the venue or the sound guy want. It's my gig, not theirs.

This.
My dirt tone is my custom JCM800 with a King of Tone boosting it.
Unless they have a JCM800 that sounds like my heavily modified one, they can suck it.

Cab wise, I'll use a venue's cab no problem.
Saves my bad back from lugging mine around.