Recently, I've been trying to tab by ear. I can get the basic song structure down, but sometimes I find that I have a hard time tabbing little licks and intricacies on guitar because it's difficult to hear what exact notes are being played due to vocals or drums or a second guitar drowning out the sound of what's being played. Is there any software or any tools available that can help me tab songs by ear? Especially for the quiet parts or fast parts?
Slow it down. Even Youtube can do that. You could also use Audacity.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by jerrykramskoy
+1

Love this software. Used it for years for working out hard solos, hard chords, teaching, and practising. Worth every penny.
And let's just underline that it's free for the first month (no limitations). After that, the registration cost will seem amazingly cheap.

When I first got it, I managed to use it free for two months, just by clicking away the warnings. But then I realised it was so good they deserved the very reasonable fee. I honestly think it's the best program of any kind I've ever used - no surplus bells and whistles, no stupid "cool" skins, just a perfectly transparent interface. It works just the way I want it to work, shows me just what I want to see.
It's a program I couldn't now do without. (Well, I could - but the alternatives I've tried are all pretty clunky and/or frustrating.)

The only downside - to work with video (youtubes) you need to convert them to a different format with other software. That's free too, but it's just a slightly irritating extra step.
Quote by jongtr
And let's just underline that it's free for the first month (no limitations). After that, the registration cost will seem amazingly cheap.

When I first got it, I managed to use it free for two months, just by clicking away the warnings. But then I realised it was so good they deserved the very reasonable fee. I honestly think it's the best program of any kind I've ever used - no surplus bells and whistles, no stupid "cool" skins, just a perfectly transparent interface. It works just the way I want it to work, shows me just what I want to see.
It's a program I couldn't now do without. (Well, I could - but the alternatives I've tried are all pretty clunky and/or frustrating.)

The only downside - to work with video (youtubes) you need to convert them to a different format with other software. That's free too, but it's just a slightly irritating extra step.

Hi Jongtr ... I pay for transcribe for exact same reasons. The youtube mp3 converter does the trick for me.
I'd advocate for Amazing Slow Downer, mostly because it can connect to your spotify account. Having spotify's entire library of songs with me on my phone and being able to transcribe anywhere is important to me, not needing the actual mp3 file. I've learned quite a few solos and tunes while on the train, it's great.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Hi Jongtr ... I pay for transcribe for exact same reasons. The youtube mp3 converter does the trick for me.
I meant the video, not just the audio. (For the audio I just record it in real time into Transcribe, because I don't always want the whole thing. In fact for audio I often go to Spotify, where the quality is generally better.)
Youtubes are in flv format, and Transcribe only works with mp4 or mov. I use the imaginatively named "Free YouTube Downloader", which downloads and converts in one move. Very handy if you want to see fingering!
I'm not aware of any other slowdowner which does that.
Of course some browsers let you slow to half-speed, but you can't loop or manipulate in other ways. And many youtubes are out of sync, while Transcribe's video window has a slider which lets you put the audio in sync with the video if necessary.

The one deal-breaker for many with Transcribe would be that there is no app version. (The designer has said he has no plans to produce one.) Doesn't bother me, but would put off some.
Last edited by jongtr at Jan 1, 2016,
Quote by jongtr
I meant the video, not just the audio. (For the audio I just record it in real time into Transcribe, because I don't always want the whole thing. In fact for audio I often go to Spotify, where the quality is generally better.)
Youtubes are in flv format, and Transcribe only works with mp4 or mov. I use the imaginatively named "Free YouTube Downloader", which downloads and converts in one move. Very handy if you want to see fingering!
I'm not aware of any other slowdowner which does that.
Of course some browsers let you slow to half-speed, but you can't loop or manipulate in other ways. And many youtubes are out of sync, while Transcribe's video window has a slider which lets you put the audio in sync with the video if necessary.

The one deal-breaker for many with Transcribe would be that there is no app version. (The designer has said he has no plans to produce one.) Doesn't bother me, but would put off some.

Well ... I've learned something new. Thanks for the above. I've never tried video inside Transcribe. Must give it a go.