I've probably made this thread before but a long time ago.

Tell me about your music listening habits. Are you the kind of person who has music on all the time as background noise? Do you make time to listen to music and savour the experience? Do you have any unusual habits or rituals related to music appreciation?

I don't listen to a lot of music. Maybe 2-3 songs a day, and not every day. On rare occasions, I will listen to an album the whole way through before going to bed.

I generally don't understand song lyrics and tend not to pay too much attention, unless they are so awful they ruin the song. For me, the music itself is the highlight. A friend of mine appreciates lyrics above all else and doesn't understand the appeal of instrumental music.

Another friend never listens to songs the whole way through. He skips to the next track after 2 minutes because he gets bored.
I almost exclusively listen to albums. Have very few genre or mood based playlists. Also I think im the one of the very few who can study (reading) while listening to music. My friends think that its weird..
I listen to music with my headphones when I leave the house, to smoke or to go out and play, and when I am looking for new ideas on youtube, or sometimes I will jam over a song I know. I dont listen to more than a few hours of music a day.

As for content habits, I tend to only like music with interesting improvisation as of late, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Chick Corea's Elektric Band, and the Mahavishnu Orchestra. I sometimes listen to classical music, it's nice to have balance.
I used to listen to a ton of music, pr much only full albums at a time, while doing everything.

Now I really only listen to music while i'm out of the house, while i'm playing a few certain specific videogames, or i'll listen to a song or two on Youtube while i'm between games and on forums or something.
I don't listen to it a ton.

For the past month or two I think 75% of what i've listened to has been made up of Lupe Fiasco's Tetsuo & Youth and Bentham's OMG.
I used to listen to it every chance I get. I was really into it and I'd actively search for new music very often.

Now, it's sort of just there to fill a void. If I'm the gym, or the car, or waiting for someone, or on break at work, I'll listen to music.
Free Ali
Free Lard
I only listen to YouTube slam poetry. It keeps my white person dreads all nice and tight.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Every Monday Spotify updates its weekly playlist so I will have a couple of Fifa sessions and listen through the new music while playing that. Whatever I like I will save to my discovered playlist. And then I will go through the discovered playlist to see if I do still feel the song to be worthy of going into my genre playlist.

I will then explore the artists other material in hopes that their catalogues are great.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
depends. sometimes i play music all the time.

leately tho i haven't when i'm home because the people i live with would probably have some issue. they also tend to sleep until noon most days. idk, i just want to avoid any potential confrontation.

when i'm driving music is a must, tho. even driving around the corner to Quick Chek in silence almost makes me lose my mind.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I sit and listen to music through headphones, purely to listen to the music, although I tend to do it when browsing and/or talking online
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by sashki

Another friend never listens to songs the whole way through. He skips to the next track after 2 minutes because he gets bored.

ugh... that really is the worst kind of person to listen to music with
i have music playing basically all day. it starts when i wake up, and i throw a more calm relaxing album i like on to fall asleep to. only time i dont have it on is during certain video games

favorite way of listening to music tho is just going for long walks on winter nights. its so soothing
mostly listen to music when i'm studying, or walking somewhere, or trying to fall asleep

i used to only listen to full albums at a time but ever since i got spoiled by spotify i've been sticking to playlists of my favorite tracks
Mostly when driving, at work, gym, or occasionally when on the computer.

Quote by sashki at #33751368

These are the worst kind of people to go on a road trip with.
I listen to music for a total of about 3 hours in the car every day. I don't really listen much at home anymore because of this.

Quote by sashki

also this drives me fucking insane.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Dec 30, 2015,
I usually just put my entire library on shuffle and then skip through to whatever I'm in the mood to listen to.

If I'm listening to a new album for the first time I'll try and listen to it the whole way through.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
If it's pop / jazz I sometimes listen in the car.

For classical I like to sit in the studio and follow along to the score.

I favor listening to a few things repeatedly rather than a lot and discover all the lil details in them.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
For classical I like to sit in the studio and follow along to the score.

I love doing this, helps me visualise playing it myself.
Don't limit it to just classical though.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
I love doing this, helps me visualise playing it myself.
Don't limit it to just classical though.

well.. most other music don't have scores.

The scores for classical pieces provide a ton of insights on composition, instrumentation, etc. Not as essential with other music.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I have music on pretty much all the time, just whatever I feel like listening to. Sometimes albums, sometimes shuffle, whatever.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
When I go out anywhere where I know I'll be more than a few hours, I take my headphones and put everything on shuffle. Techdeath one minute, club jazz the next, and whatever the hell The Algorithm is afterwards.

Since last year, I've always listened to half an hour/an hours worth of music before falling asleep. It's helped immensely. I have specific albums for it such as Haruka Nakamura's 'Twilight' and the second CD to Uneven Structure's 'Februus'.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I listen to music everyday, I like to suss youtube out and find new bands to listen to. Been digging sludge and doom metal and been getting more into it the last few years, but primarily I've always been a thrash kid, Thrash is my favourite genre fuckin love it.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
I don't listen as much as I used to. Mainly just while driving and occasionally I'll get some new music and listen to it a lot at first and then it just gets incorporated in with all the other music that I know too well. I mostly just put my whole library on shuffle and skip through, the exception being when I get new music and listen to the full album a few times, or if I'm in the mood to listen to one of those albums that you almost have to listen to the whole thing at once. I just don't have as much drive to spend the time looking for enough new music to keep me interested enough to listen all the time like I used to. I think it's just a phase I'm in right now. That and I've started listening to a lot of podcasts, which is taking a lot of that music listening time.

As far as lyrics, it kinda depends on the genre, but usually on the first few listens I don't pay a lot of attention to the words and focus on the actual music, then later I've internalized the music enough that I can pay more attention to the words. That isn't always the case though depending on the song. Because of this there have been a few songs that I didn't really care about that much at first, then later realized the lyrics were awesome and liked it more. I've also already really liked a song and then once I started listening to the words liked it even more. Bad lyrics don't really bother me as much, they just don't add anything.
I used to listen to it in the car, at work and at home. In the past couple of years I pretty much keep in to home when playing cover songs. Got to burned out on listening to music to much. More into talk radio thing during the day now.
Quote by EyeNon15
I always have the biggest urge to listen to music after sex, mostly jerking off.
I know what you mean. it's too distracting during
i have a turntable like all the other douches so ill sometimes dedicate a good bit of time spinning records im in the mood for, otherwise just occasionally abusing spotify
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.