I know these nuts typically need some shaping and adjustment. But do the pre cut string slots themselves typically need adjustment with a nut file?
I use 10 - 46 strings and have found the slots on Tusq nuts to be fine.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
The pre cut tusq nuts I've used have just had shallow guide grooves, not proper slotting. They needed some filing, but not a ton. I think on a couple I just widened the slots for the lower strings.
For my 7 string, I did not need to do it, but for my PRS SE Standard, I had to do it.
Quote by Roc8995
The pre cut tusq nuts I've used have just had shallow guide grooves, not proper slotting. They needed some filing, but not a ton. I think on a couple I just widened the slots for the lower strings.

same for me, mostly spot on but i took a v-shape needle file and passed it though about 2 - 3 passes per slot on the thinner strings. that had them seat down nicely.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I have a few tusq nuts. The only one I had to shave was one I was not supposed to have for my guitar.