xxx I need help with my bar chords, I can play them good enough for a beginner, but I get a very bad sore wrist when I play them. I have tried pinching the guitar, pulling towards me etc. and nothing works. I can play maybe 1-2 bar chords and then I need to shake out my hand and twist it for 10-20 seconds. Best regards, thanks a lot!
How do you hold your guitar? Is it fairly high, or hanging low on your body?

Do you have to strain your wrist to play any chords, or just barre chords?

(This is one I struggled with) How hard are you pressing into the fretboard?
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
I'm pressing pretty hard (enough to let all the strings ring well. Only bar chords have strained my wrist so far, I can play any open chord fine.
Does this happen with sitting, standing and wearing the guitar, or both?

And if standing, how low is the guitar?
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Even if everything is fine with the positioning, it should be normal to have some pain. You're a beginner and you haven't built enough endurance yet. But alas, it seems like you're getting pain way too fast.

Can you post any pics on how you hold the guitar and how is your wrist position when doing barre chords?

Is it acoustic or electric? Which type of body?
How long have you been playing and how long has it hurt? You could just need to get used to it if you're new to guitar. If you've been playing a while and it still hurts you could have a problem with your wrist which might be worth looking into.
Sure, "barre chords"

Buy seriosly I had the same problem, but I started on a poorly set up acoustic with 13's. Maybe switch to lighter strings.
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
Thumb placement is the likely issue. Place your thumb so the print is about halfway up and point up to the ceiling. If this is not what you've been doing, it will feel strange but stick with it until you get used to it.
Its a LOT more difficult to barre on an acoustic in my opinion, and Electric gets a lot easier. Did you just transition from Electric to acoustic or vice versa? Make sure you're not pressing too hard, I know that that was one hard habit of mine to break. You only need to press down enough to get the notes to ring, as over straining can cause problems. I could be that or it could just be normal pain. As said above, building endurance can take a bit...
Quote by gilgax2600
I'm pressing pretty hard (enough to let all the strings ring well. Only bar chords have strained my wrist so far, I can play any open chord fine.

I suspect you are pressing a lot harder than you need to. We all did this when starting out with them. As you don't have the correct technique, just yet, you are probably over compensating by strangling the neck.

Start by playing from the fifth position and above for a while until your fretting hand gets used to it. When you get a clear ringing chord, hold it and steadily reduce the grip whilst picking the strings to see how light you really can be with them. Pay attention to each finger as different pressure may be needed.
Any more pressure than you need to clearly ring the chord is wasted effort and may slow you down/change pitch of notes.