Hi Guys,

for years I've been a huge post-rock/ambient/shoegaze addict. Recently I finally started a post-rock/ambient/shoegaze band. I'm using all my gear wich I use in my regular band (Ernie Ball Wah, Boss FV500H, Strymon Big Sky, Boss DD20, Boss TR2, Fulltone OCD, MXR Dyna Comp (soon to be replaced by a Wampler Ego Compressor), Xotic EP Booster, Blackstar HT100 Stage, Orange PPC212 OB, PRS SE Zach Myers, Epiphone Les Paul Standard).

My questions involves the Boss TR2 (Tremolo). I don't use it anymore in my regular band, because I don't find any use for it anymore. It's now sticking on my board, doing nothing.

After searching google, people playing post-rock and other similar music like it, seems to swear by a tremolo pedal.

Because of this I've been thinking about using the TR2 in my post-rock project, but I can't seem to find a setting wich I can use in multiple songs, because not every song has the same tempo as set up with the rate on the tremolo.

Are people using it to simulate tremolo picking? To make it easier?

Does anyone have great settings for this pedal or is it best to just ditch it and use the money for something else? Note: Selling the pedal is a last resort.

Any special tips/tricks are most welcome.

Thanks guys!
Last edited by humbucky at Dec 31, 2015,
I can't find the article, but I read somewhere Kevin Shields of MBV is using 2 tremolo pedals set to different speeds on the intro of "Only Shallow". I'm not sure what his settings are though. There's a lot going on there.
If you just want to have it for recording, use Audacity.
I love using the tremolo on my amp but it was a hassle to incorporate it into my band because all songs have a different tempo.

Solution: I'm eventually going to buy a tremolo pedal with tap tempo like this one:
http://www.t-rex-effects.com/tapster/

set the general settings and then simply tap the tempo of the song, turn it on and you're good to go.

However, you don't seem to really care for the effect since you don't have a specific plan for it. I'd say take it off your board and stash it somewhere. Some day you'll either figure out a use for it or need to fund another project
The tremelo guitar effect sounds nothing like tremelo picking. Just saying.

I would not get caught up in trying to get the modulation in time with your song tempos. That effect is useful in shoegaze, but more as a shimmery texture on chords left to ring out.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
it doesn't have tap tempo, but the Voodoo Lab tremolo pedal is quite awesome. it has a volume control which is nice so you don't lose or gain any unwanted volume, and if you want it louder you can control it.

the shape knob which is nice for the choppynes or more tame settings, it has a pretty good range.

and i got mine for $80 shipped.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the replies!

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for a tremolo pedal, because I have one. I just want some settings, tips and tricks for the Boss TR-2 or tremolo pedals in general to be useful in this kind of music. I want to use the tremolo pedal because I have it, not because I need it.

I'm seriously thinking about selling it, but I'd rather not if I can find a way to use it in more than one song.
Quote by humbucky
Thanks for the replies!

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for a tremolo pedal, because I have one. I just want some settings, tips and tricks for the Boss TR-2 or tremolo pedals in general to be useful in this kind of music. I want to use the tremolo pedal because I have it, not because I need it.

I'm seriously thinking about selling it, but I'd rather not if I can find a way to use it in more than one song.

it's got 3 knobs mate. just mess around with it..
mojostompboxes.com
Get a fairly fast rate an enough depth to hear the trem but not enough so that it's sounding choppy. Just a nice pulsing. Then the placement is about preference, but I'd like it after everything except a reverb. Letting all the sound get caught in the pulse, but having some reverb at the end to wash it out a little. Then play some big chords and let them ring. Basically the tremolo is adding a new texture to the sound rather than being a rhythmic effect.

I also like having tremolo at the very end of the chain, super fast rate, and super choppy. Everything in your signal gets chopped up in the tremolo and it makes for a cool effect for high notes as a textural lead part
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by greeny23
it's got 3 knobs mate. just mess around with it..

Yep.
Also, don't worry about the tempo so much. People have been using trem for fuckin years and years and years and I guarantee it doesn't always match the tempo. It's no biggie. I'm playing my second gig in a row tomorrow night without a tap tempo delay where previously I'd always had one for the longer delay time stuff. Shit's liberating man.

Also, like my man above said, end of chain choppy shit is a good time.