I'm no lawyer, so I'm not a fan on the law itself. Yes, I hate politic very much. Yeah, I'm not here about myself or my employment history, I just want to know about this law.

I'm here asking about At-Will Employment, the law for most states in North America. I'm not a fan of the policy personally, I think it seems that it offers to low a protection to people who are just doing their job. On an organizational level, there really is no reason to just fire people for the sake of it, and every reason not to. However at a lower level, these policies allow narcissist line/team managers to play god and to continually threaten and bully employees to be compliant beyond the remit of the work relationship. You get managers who will use at will employment to excuse practices such as continually re-arranging work schedules while not offering any flexibility, ask employees to do too much or to do things beyond their remit or level of training, or the classic, firing in retaliation for someone standing up for themselves. There is no legal requirement for them to give you a reason, but in practice, they nearly always do. If not, then I'm not surprised any company didn't given an employee a reason for his/her termination if he/she did not do anything wrong like sexual harassment, whistle blowing, chewing gum, etc.

So about At-Will Employment, why is employee allowed to discuss to the manager about their co-worker if there's a lie? Why wouldn't they tell him/her a warning or reason when they get fired? Why do employers have the right to complaint about their co-workers without a permission? Is this some kind of mutual decision or something?
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
Last edited by Hal-Sephira at Dec 30, 2015,
...are you sure english is your first language?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Beside, I think Nevada is an At-Will state because NV is a high drama, unfriendly state where people can complain or argue because they have the right to do so. They rarely complaint about their employers, not just to warn them. If an employee lying about his/her co-worker's action, then that company is in big trouble for firing employee for any reason. I think Nevada can be a rough state to live in because people here can do anything whatever the hell they want. Nevada is like a freedom state or whatsoever.
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
MXR M-103 Blue Box
Seasonal work, on call work, migratory work. Plenty of reasons for it. You should be aware of the terms of your employment, and if you're uncomfortable with at will look for more stable, long term work.
Look at the bright side: You can also leave whenever you want, and then have a short-term job on your resume that future employers will presume to be negative
Last edited by Fat Lard at Dec 30, 2015,
Quote by Fat Lard
Look at the bright side: You can also leave whenever you want, and then have a short-term job on your resume that future employers will presume to be negative

Okay.
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
MXR M-103 Blue Box
if you work for a corporate company even in an at will state they rarely if ever fire you without cause. as a manager i am requiered to write up any incident and report what measure was taken. most have a 3 and out policy. you get written up 3 times and at that point they can fire you. the reason for this is lawsuits. a person fired especially for sexual harrasement that can even vaguely prove it can be a major thorn in a companies side. race, religion etc also can cause unwanted issues. of course like many things the lower on the food chain you are the easier it is to just boot you.

my biggest issue with the "at will" thing is that places can treat you like crap, not give raises etc and the state says "well it's your choice to work there". nonsense you need a job to live so unles you are amoungst the lucky few that can just get another job no problem you are often stuck. for instance in NY if you work through a temp agency they can keep you pretty much forever and not py benifits etc. sure the temp agency usually tells you some BS about how the company will hire you in 3-6 months but suprise they often don't but will be more than happy to keep you for much longer with no raise or really any hope of a permanent job. the new healthcare laws have added to this as comapnies don't want to pay benifits unless they have to.
i don't feel like reading all of this, but i'm having trouble claiming my unemployment benefits this week because the shitty website won't work.

surprise surprise!
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
At-will is indeed about freedom. The freedom to come and go as you please and the freedom to employ or not as you please. Wise employers and employees do not abuse this freedom and choose to build long term relationships based on trust instead.

Not everyone is wise so if you don't like your schedule, your supervisor, your co-workers, or your company culture, go find one you do like and earn their trust.

In Italy there is no at-will agreement and employers have little or no rights. As a result employers avoid hiring anyone for as long as possible because they can never, ever get rid of them no matter how poisonous they have become to the organization.. It is a huge problem that stunts productivity and makes it very difficult for young people to get hired anywhere.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Nevada is like a freedom state or whatsoever.

I believe this is Nevada's motto.