I am a huge fan of jackson guitars and in fact I own 3. When I was 8 I bought my first jackson. I bought a lower mid range King V and until I was about 14 I loved the guitar. since then I jave switched to Super strats and teles only. My king V's finish is really quite awful, I painted stripes around the horn in black nail polish and it is missing chunks on the bottom and the top front. I was hoping to buy a new body that I will refinish myself (either an RG or a Dinky) and put the electronics and neck on the new body. This would be my first major guitar modification but I know I am capable. Before I buy parts and get started I was hoping to get some tips and help with the process as well as answer a few questions.
First- will I have a problem putting the neck on a different body or is should it fit/be easy to fix
Second - I don't want a string through bridge like most non floyd jacksons have I just want a screw on bridge. Will this mess with action or will it be fine?
Third - Can you forsee any complications due to things I may have overlooked and if so what?
Quote by PizzaSaurusRex

First- will I have a problem putting the neck on a different body or is should it fit/be easy to fix

It depends on what body you're talking about specifically, but more than likely, you will have problems with finding a neck and a body that'll fit correctly. Neck pocket dimensions are not very standardised, so they tend to come in all shapes and sizes. Just because a guitar has a bolt-on neck doesn't mean you can screw any old body to any old neck and expect it to work.

It's best to get a body from another Jackson if you want any hope of the neck fitting to it. There is a strong modding community for the old MIJ Jacksons, so it's not that hard to find an MIJ body on ebay. Measure the neck pocket dimensions very carefully, and ensure that the portion of the neck that gets screwed into the body is in exactly the right location. Ask the jcfonline forum about whether or not a dinky body will fit to your neck and show them the particular body you're interested in buying.

Second - I don't want a string through bridge like most non floyd jacksons have I just want a screw on bridge. Will this mess with action or will it be fine?

What do you mean by a 'screw-on bridge'? Strictly speaking, all bridges 'screw in' to the guitar in some fashion.

Do you mean to say that you wish to convert the guitar to use a tailpiece and a TOM bridge instead of just having a string through with a TOM? In which case, you won't have any problems assuming you can find a way of filling the holes that the strings go through.

If you're talking about changing the bridge to something different entirely from a TOM, then in that case, you're going to run into problems. Specifically, you're going to have problems establishing the correct neck angle. Guitars that use TOM bridges by design require a 3-4 degree neck angle. And that angle is established by cutting the neck pocket at an angle relative to the plane of the body. You will have to modify the neck pocket quite substantially to make the neck sit completely flat for any bridge other than a TOM to work. Personally, I don't think that's worth the effort unless you can somehow find another body, or have the right tools & woodworking experience to convert one yourself.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 30, 2015,