Can someone tell me how the tone between the two sound? I recorded with a mic a long time ago. I stopped, because it was too much trouble. From the recordings I made with a mic, I do not see much of a difference. However, you might think otherwise. Can anyone elaborate?
Are you talking about plugging your guitar into your preamp vs micing up your guitar amp? If you have half decent amp sims and cab impulses, you can go a long ways. Recording direct is a lot of fun and very flexible. Although, ive gotten some of my favorite tones from micing up my amp. Its all give and take
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Both are useful so keep your options open. There is no right or wrong but only what works best in a given situation. Trust your ears.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Well, I mic my amp usually, just plugging into my PC sounds like crap in this case. I do wish I had a mic preamp between the mic and pc though. Currently use an XLR-USB converter.
"Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit." - George Carlin
I go JCM 900 > Scarlett Solo > Computer
Either one works

I've done Mic >> Interface and Mic >> Pre >> Interface and honestly, it takes a practiced ear to tell the difference.

Remember with recording there is no 1 right way to do anything. Do what you're comfortable with, what you can physically do, and most importantly, what gets you the sound you want.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
There are many nuances that are missed when recording a guitar direct. I prefer close and distance miking combined to give a large sound stage imaging wise. Use the 6 inch rule as far as keeping everything in phase (6,12, 24, etc.) and you will notice something substantial that direct recording doesn't reveal. Speakers moving air just sounds natural. Load boxes can be combined with this set up and add more detail, but you have to mike the cabs and the room to get that huge sound that we know and love.
You can even record DI into the audio interface/computer, then re-amp that signal through your amp later. So you record a clean signal and then play it through the amp and record that singal via line-in. This way you can mod tones through the amp to really dial it in, that's another thing you can do.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I agree that it all depends on the sound I am looking for on a particular song. I am ready to go either way. 15 years ago I was using a multi effects unit with some earlier cab simulators. I thought it was great and since I was recording in a limited space it was a lot more convenient also. Now I have a dedicated room that has been acoustically treated and I have gone back to recording my amp. It is much better for me (in most cases) than going direct into a mixer or even direct to my interface or digital recorder (Tascam DP32 and 2488 Mk 1). If I listen to older recordings I made going direct with a multi effect and cab sims the guitar sounds weak with no punch. In some respects it may not be an accurate comparison as at that time my recording gear was comprised of a combination of older analog gear and a Roland VS digital multi track.

Today I like the additional dynamic sound of a real amp. It just seems "bigger" and fuller.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.