Budget = ~$200 (2nd hand)

Main considerations: distortion & amp model quality

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand zoom g3, mostly because of availability in listings in my area. Also I think its added features are pretty cool.

I've heard that digitech is pretty good too? I'm not really familiar with other competing brands.. vox?
Last edited by reliqua at Dec 31, 2015,
Personally I like neither companies (and have played on gear from both),

I'd suggest either looking into the cheaper Boss multi-FX or try the Line6 Amplifi100 - best bang for the buck you can get in my opinion!
I like the Zoom, it does a great job, has some great effects and is extremely easy to use.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Like Omnius, i would recommend and older Boss ME board.

I used to own the ME-40 before i upgraded to the ME-80 and both are absolutely fantastic.
Vox Tonelab does vintage tones pretty well. For modern hi gain stuff, Pod is the king. Both can be found used less than $200 in the USA.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Ehh the boss ME doesn't have amp sims though, and I travel a bit, GT is the only boss option :3. In this comparison video though the GT10 gain sounds pretty terrible, idk if it's terrible dialing haha. The official distributor here doesn't have the amplififx100, and I heard its usb connection is pretty useless. Pod HD is impossible to find cheap here, postage + import tax reaches $100 from ebay.
Quote by reliqua
Ehh the boss ME doesn't have amp sims though, and I travel a bit, GT is the only boss option.

ME80 has amp sims and exactly the same COSM as the GT100.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
If you want a pedal that had extra features then you get the Zoom. The models are pretty good. You might be able to find models that you like better, but there's no competitor that has the total package. Looper, rhythm tracks, USB record out. It's the only all-in-one solution.

If you don't think you'll need drums or looper then it's more about preference.