ok so i'm completely clueless about this. i bought a prs ce22 the other day with the intentions of plugging it to my computer. it didn't work, and now i'm searching an amp.
from what i understand, tubes are better than solidstate, fender has great cleans and Marshall has great drive. i also know that you'll be needing at least 60 watt on a solid state to gig.
here is my question: i saw someone online selling a celestion g10 vintage 16 ohm 60watt speaker for around 60$. my plan was to buy a fender frontman (which costs about the same) and just replace the speaker, thus getting a 60watt amp for 120$.
now, is that possible? how do i know if a speaker will go into my amp? what are the criteria? is it worth it? thanks!
Quote by AoutoCooper
i saw someone online selling a celestion g10 vintage 16 ohm 60watt speaker for around 60$. my plan was to buy a fender frontman (which costs about the same) and just replace the speaker, thus getting a 60watt amp for 120$.
now, is that possible? how do i know if a speaker will go into my amp? what are the criteria? is it worth it? thanks!
That is not how it works. :p

The amp has to put out 60 watts. The speaker will only do what the amp tells it to. To put a different speaker in any amp, you need to match size (the G10 is a 10 inch), impedance, and wattage. I would not do any speaker swaps, and I would not go with the Frontman amp.

What was wrong with the guitar direct to computer setup?
yeah, don't do that, follow the link Cathbard gave you and answer all the questions and we can help you better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
ok, so here it goes:
budget: the lowest amount possible. i don't know the pricing on these things, i've got money, and i'll pay to get what i want. my ideal is between 90-120$ but i'm flexible.

Genres: blues rock, think Cream and Duane Allman etc.

new or used: i really don't care

home or gig: home

city: i'm outside the states

current gear: this is the first amp i'll have

again, when i think of an amp i want to have the kind of sound that clapton had when he played "sunshine of your love". full, fat tone with with a lot of depth and good gain. something like a Marshall. now i did hear that the frontman has crappy gain but what about putting using a gain pedal? or does that not work that way?
thanks a lot!!
Save your money. 100 bucks won't be getting you an amp with tones you want.

If that's your budget then just buy an interface so you can plug your guitar into the computer and either download the free amps that are available out there or save up and get a proper amp.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by AoutoCooper
ok, so here it goes:
budget: the lowest amount possible. i don't know the pricing on these things, i've got money, and i'll pay to get what i want. my ideal is between 90-120$ but i'm flexible.

Genres: blues rock, think Cream and Duane Allman etc.

new or used: i really don't care

home or gig: home

city: i'm outside the states

current gear: this is the first amp i'll have

again, when i think of an amp i want to have the kind of sound that clapton had when he played "sunshine of your love". full, fat tone with with a lot of depth and good gain. something like a Marshall. now i did hear that the frontman has crappy gain but what about putting using a gain pedal? or does that not work that way?
thanks a lot!!

Get the best Fender Mustang or Vox VT amp you can find in your price range.

Or follow the advice and get an interface

and last I looked there was nowhere on a map called "outside of the states"
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 4, 2016,
yeah outside of the states is a dictatorship north of iran.
i'm joking of course. anyway, i could get a peavy envoy 110 for about 100$. i checked online and it has a really good versatile sound, and for that price it's a great 40 watt amp. the problem is it's used from 1992 and i have heard amps don't age well. what do you say?
Generally there is no problem buying used amps, though this can vary amp to amp. Solid state amps can keep running forever, but a used tube amp might need a bit of maintenance, such as swapping out tubes. Of course, go and play it before you buy, and if you don't know that much about amps, bring a friend to take a look. I've personally started buying gear 2nd hand (both amps and guitars), and have had no major dramas.
ok i got one more last question: i heard that the frontman has great cleans, and i could get one really cheap. if i'll buy a distortion pedal, will that replace the distortion on the amp itself? then i could get a quality fender-y cleans, with marshall-y distortion coming from a pedal.
does that make sense? i'm really confused.
Quote by AoutoCooper
ok i got one more last question: i heard that the frontman has great cleans, and i could get one really cheap. if i'll buy a distortion pedal, will that replace the distortion on the amp itself? then i could get a quality fender-y cleans, with marshall-y distortion coming from a pedal.
does that make sense? i'm really confused.

I have a Frontman 15 floating around my house somewhere. I bought it for my daughter 10yrs ago and it really does suck. I would rather use a personal monitor with a bad monkey OD.

The newer Fender Champion 2 would be better sounding, but see if you can find something used with a 12" speaker. then yes you can add a pedal to get the dirt.

Actually the Vox Pathfinder is a decent little clean amp and it takes pedals pretty well. Take a look at one if you can
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Buy the Frontman you desperately want to buy. Everyone needs to throw some cold $$$ down the rathole with a POS amp that will never do what they want it to do. It is how us hard-headed musicians learn. Once you have that experience under your belt you will be much more open to suggestions and advice from more experienced players.

Owning your first true POS amp is a rite of passage.

Or you could skip this step, buy a Fender SuperChamp instead, and dial in really good Clapton tone any time you want. We all have choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPtR4MuTVFs
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 5, 2016,
+1 on staying away from the frontman. I got one in a combo with my first electric and it is a POS.