I think it my finger tips are to fat to fit them all in one fret. Is there better way to place them?
They are not, you are just not used to it. Give it practice and patience and you will be able to do it.

Another way to do it, in addition (not instead of) to using the 123 grip is to to 234 or just use your index finger and bar the D,G and B strings.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
or just use your index finger and bar the D,G and B strings.

I generally agree with you on pretty much everything Sickz, however, I'm going to disagree here. The reasoning behind that being that not only are you likely to accidentally mute the e string, but it makes further chord switches more difficult as your other 3 fingers aren't in a suitable place for the more common chord switches associated with a standard A chord. Taking shortcuts because something is immediately easier is generally never a good idea. In the long term it does more damage.
Last edited by vayne92 at Dec 31, 2015,
Quote by vayne92
I generally agree with you on pretty much everything Sickz, however, I'm going to disagree here. The reasoning behind that being that not only are you likely to accidentally mute the e string, but it makes further chord switches more difficult as your other 3 fingers aren't in a suitable place for the more common chord switches associated with a standard A chord. Taking shortcuts because something is immediately easier is generally never a good idea. In the long term it does more damage.

I agree Vayne, that is why i tried to specify that additional ways to do it where just that, additional, he should be able to finger this chord in all these ways. Because depending on the situation, you'd want to bar that fret.

But i fully agree with, short-cuts should never be encouraged. Versatility should.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
I kind of agree with both (and I think they actually agree with each other as well), here's my take on it, which is a mix of both answers with a bit more explaining! If it's overexplained and you know alot of the things I write already then sorry, but I rather explain too well then too poorly

Firstly, there's no such thing as "too fat" fingers, sure the bigger you fingertops is the less room for space you have, but it's just a matter of practicing. Sure it may take a while longer to perfect because of that, since you have less margin of error when placing the fingers. But there's many examples of brilliant guitar players that have big fingers, just look at Yngwie Malmsteen and Andy McKee to name two.

And secondly, I'm gonna assume you know the finger numbers (1=indexfinger etc.). So both the fingerings Sickz write about is equally good (123 and 234), since it lets you play the full A chord with the high E-string ringing as well. Both these fingering are useful to know, in some chord progressions the first fingering fits better and in others the second. So there's no "better way" since that's the only way to safely include the high E-string, as well as making smooth chord switches.

However the barred version can be used in songs until you've mastered the regular way, if you get tired of failing the regular fingerings and want the joy of playing songs fluently now then go for it, but never stop practicing the regular fingerings one way or another. Just be sure to either master lifting the part of indexfinger touching the high E-string so it's properly muffled, or bend it so it only touches the three strings you wanna press down. The latter might seem impossible to some, but it can be done, I've seen both guitar and ukulele players being able to do it (D chord on ukulele), though it's extremely hard to get right and it's really not reliable when playing songs with above beginner strum/pick patterns in my opinion.

So lastly how I teach my students to practice chords you struggle with. My tip is to grab the chord, strum and adapt fingers until each string sounds good, release and wiggle the fingers, then repeat this. This way you efficiently practice the muscle memory for that specific chord, and the wiggling when releasing kind of resets the fingers. I've seen lots of people practice this way but many don't "reset" the fingers by wiggling them, which doesn't get the same effect.
Last edited by Arzosah at Jan 1, 2016,
Johnny Hiland is a big fat f*ck and he plays faster and cleaner than I could ever hope to with my scrawny skeleton hands.

It mostly just takes practice using your fingertips rather than the finger pads. Go slow.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jan 1, 2016,
Ive also gotten a lot of trouble from A chord. Generally the problem is that fourth string when you've got three fingers on the fret. I recently re-trained myself to start playing it 2,3,4. The second finger is stronger than the first for pressing that d string, and it also allows you get a bit higher on the fret with that fingering. So while 2,3,4 may be less convenient, I found I would always get a buzz from 1,2,3 otherwise, unless I pressed hard to the point it hurt my fingers, or press so soft that I was muting it.

But people are still recommending 1,2,3... I'm surprised. Well maybe my calluses will continue to get stronger in my second year of playing??
If not barring the A 'open A" I play it like a inverted D chord. 2nd finger on D string 2nd fret-1st finger on G string 2nd fret and 3rd finger on B string 2nd fret. My 1st finger behind my 2nd & 3rd finger. like an inverted D but on same fret. Plus it makes moving from D to A much smoother once you get it.
oh..and keep your 2nd finger in place and switch to a C chord....see how easy it is.
What others said, possibly the best way is to bar the D, G and B string with your index finger, if you have to strum it had i like to use my middle finger to gently hold on the low E so it doesn't ring out.
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer
Justin guiatr shows an easy a chord it took me days to get it down