This piece is my brand of melodic metal - featuring an Agile 828 pro (8-string) it has ample extended-range chunk while still holding true to my melodic "80s" trademark. I hope this can add to your musical diet... enjoy,

Andy Scott (AndyRooJ)

https://youtu.be/fpawl9w5-QI
The intro with the clock ticking was cool, nice idea and execution. I'm generally very interested in 8 string stuff, it's cool to see what people come up with, and I have to say I really enjoy this song. It's refreshing as an 8 string idea and I like the overall feel a lot. You also have some nice chops on all of the instruments, I was certainly impressed by this song.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
The intro with the clock ticking was cool, nice idea and execution. I'm generally very interested in 8 string stuff, it's cool to see what people come up with, and I have to say I really enjoy this song. It's refreshing as an 8 string idea and I like the overall feel a lot. You also have some nice chops on all of the instruments, I was certainly impressed by this song.

Cheers for the comment. The 70's wall clock is always ticking in my music room so I figured I'd record it. I only bought the Agile 828 this year... previously I thought 8-string guitars made no sense from when I was playing them in music shops... however after a wide exposure to them on YouTube, I learned their purpose and that they are an instrument unto themselves... I just wanted to write something a little different to straight djent.

Andrew (AndyrooJ)
Last edited by andyrooj at Jan 1, 2016,
Hey brother, thanks heaps for your crit

I like the start, its different to much proggy stuff, especially the beginning. The song is cool, very clean, very nicely done, absent of any mistakes, I like it. The mix is good, clean, the tones are nice. The soloing is very Satch-esque, nice job.

If I had to criticise, Id say it is a bit clinical. I would say go a bit more crazy. Its quite tame, in my opinion a bit of extra energy would really vitalise the track

Good job though, keep writing!
I'm not usually a fan of metal but I like the melodic interplay in this, I enjoyed it would listen to it again. I think that the guitars are a little overpowering at times (though that might just be characteristic of the genre) and drown out the rest - I think the clock ticking would be cool if it was audible the whole way through to underpin the theme of the track. I love the way the guitar melodies and strings in the background interact, but I think the strings could do with being more audible too to seal the deal.

Great work overall though.
Quote by Serotonite
I'm not usually a fan of metal but I like the melodic interplay in this, I enjoyed it would listen to it again. I think that the guitars are a little overpowering at times (though that might just be characteristic of the genre) and drown out the rest - I think the clock ticking would be cool if it was audible the whole way through to underpin the theme of the track. I love the way the guitar melodies and strings in the background interact, but I think the strings could do with being more audible too to seal the deal.

Great work overall though.

Cheers Serotonite that's helpful input... I actually wanted to bump up the strings (as they took quite a while to construct from natural - single note samples) they do actually cloud the mix unfortunately.

Thanks again
Quote by TommyGunUk
Hey brother, thanks heaps for your crit

I like the start, its different to much proggy stuff, especially the beginning. The song is cool, very clean, very nicely done, absent of any mistakes, I like it. The mix is good, clean, the tones are nice. The soloing is very Satch-esque, nice job.

If I had to criticise, Id say it is a bit clinical. I would say go a bit more crazy. Its quite tame, in my opinion a bit of extra energy would really vitalise the track

Good job though, keep writing!

thanks TommyGunUk. I do tend to focus more the strive for perfection which does restrain my enthusiasm... When I do get more excitable some awesome sounds were achieved but then I'd stuff a note and I'd re-take the track.

Cheers for the input.
Hello.

This is a seriously fat sounding track. That 8 string gives a nice fat sound. Taste wise, the leads are a bit too classic rock for me - but I certainly cant fault the composition or playing. It's pretty much flawless and very polished.

I wish I could make my mixes sounded clean and crisp like that.

Cheers
Quote by RabidBadger
Hello.

This is a seriously fat sounding track. That 8 string gives a nice fat sound. Taste wise, the leads are a bit too classic rock for me - but I certainly cant fault the composition or playing. It's pretty much flawless and very polished.

I wish I could make my mixes sounded clean and crisp like that.

Cheers

Cheers Mr Badger. The agile with it's EMG 808s and neck-through construction gives a particularly crisp tone to its chunk.. I also used no effects on the backing guitars for the accuracy.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about my mixes.

Thanks again
Well damn man this was a refreshing song to listen to. Glad to see someone making use of an 8-string than the usual djent mediocrity.

I dig the string parts, but of course I like using a lot of strings myself. Catchy and uplifting and the transition riffs were complimentary and flowed nicely.

I did notice on some of your leads you move your mouth a lot. I had the same problem and probably do to some extent, I know this was from not practicing correctly or trying to force myself to play fast when I wasn't able to yet. Some of the faces seem intentional though.

However you are really a clean player and I really love that lead tone. Reminds me of Vai and Satch mixed together, but you also have a lot of other influences that I don't know as well. I can honestly say I have never heard a song like this before but again I also do not listen to 'happy' genres much lol.

As an instrumental it was nice and pleasant to listen to the whole way through. I suppose I can piggyback on some of the comments here and say put some more "UMPH" into your lead work. That is one of the main reasons I like to improvise my solos as I feel a guitar solo should be an extension of everything you worked on and just letting the flow and feel of the guitar take over. You can really tell when a solo has been constructed note by note or when it was played without restrictions.

I look forward to hearing more of your stuff.
great song ... played amazingly well ... very clean and precise ... had to go to youtube and like your video ! keep on rocking man!!
i love the sound of the 8 strings ... has that little something that the 6 string doesn't have

Quote by apothegm
Well damn man this was a refreshing song to listen to. Glad to see someone making use of an 8-string than the usual djent mediocrity.

I dig the string parts, but of course I like using a lot of strings myself. Catchy and uplifting and the transition riffs were complimentary and flowed nicely.

I did notice on some of your leads you move your mouth a lot. I had the same problem and probably do to some extent, I know this was from not practicing correctly or trying to force myself to play fast when I wasn't able to yet. Some of the faces seem intentional though.

However you are really a clean player and I really love that lead tone. Reminds me of Vai and Satch mixed together, but you also have a lot of other influences that I don't know as well. I can honestly say I have never heard a song like this before but again I also do not listen to 'happy' genres much lol.

As an instrumental it was nice and pleasant to listen to the whole way through. I suppose I can piggyback on some of the comments here and say put some more "UMPH" into your lead work. That is one of the main reasons I like to improvise my solos as I feel a guitar solo should be an extension of everything you worked on and just letting the flow and feel of the guitar take over. You can really tell when a solo has been constructed note by note or when it was played without restrictions.

I look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

Thanks for the detailed and useful critique. I am a bit of a stickler for perfection to the determent of organic or impromptu grit (or even personality).

You know I only noticed my ridiculous facial expressions once I started videoing my recordings a year ago. I understand your point exactly about pulling faces while pushing boundaries... Unfortunately these faces have stuck with me... I deliberately under-play my solos so I don't make mistakes in the final cut.

Thanks again.