Hi! As someone who is completely new to guitar, i'm kinda at loss for what i should be prioritising in practice. i'm slowly learning the chords, and am trying to get them memorized. i find some tabs to songs i know of/like and play slowly through a couple verses, and practice those to see if i can get my speed up when changing chords. I know bits and pieces of theory from some piano lessons, so im putting that off for a bit. But is this enough for fairly causual playing? I dont really plan on being super serious about guitar right now as i'm pretty busy with school, but i would like to play some of my favourite songs.
Also, i have an acoustic. Does this change anything? I do want to eventually get an electric as i like their sound better, but are there any acousic-specific things i should know?

I know this is a lot so if you dont want to anwser it's fine, but if you cant answer, maybe send a link to resources that can?

thanks!
also, on another note, sometimes i tend to over strum (?) when practicing wih the strum patterns, such as strumming five or maybe all six strings on the A chord or something liky that. Is this a matter of practicing more, or is there a technique involved? I've heard of people muting unplayed strings, but its not something that seems common and i dont seem to have long enough fingers for it. :/
nothing replaces time on the instrument. Guitar is an instrument that takes longer to feel comfortable playing, not as instantly rewarding as getting sounds out of a piano or drum for example. Takes time for the physical demands to kick in.

What are some of your favourite songs you would like to play?
Visit my music school site for advice on gear, music theory and lessons.
www.essm.net.au
a guitar does take more time than a piano :c
although on the bright side, my fingers do not hurt as much as i imagined it would

currently, i'm switching between boulevard of broken dreams, young volcanoes, and this is gospel, since i can play the chords in them, although speed and strumming is something that i really need to improve on...
Last edited by iheartcoffee at Jan 2, 2016,
You should take formal tuition from a guitar teacher. This will save you hundreds of hours of trial and error and keep you loaded up with targets and a sense of direction.