Hi guys! Happy New Year to All!!!

I'm new to the electric guitars and electronic stuff. I recently buy Yamaha RGX121z and Marshall MG10CF. Everything is well except i turn on the overdrive channel. it makes some buzzing sound when i increase the volume. Is it normal??

I'm playing my guitar by sitting in a little chair. Funny thing is when i raise my legs up (not standing in the floor) buzzing sound is reduce but i put the legs down (standing in the floor) it is increased. Electricity supply lines is checked by a person who know about electric stuff and he says electricity is ok.

I just want to know is this a normal or anything wrong with amp or guitar. I read another post form the internet and it says Marshall MG series are made some buzzing sounds. Is it true?

( Sorry for my english and sorry again if i post wrong thing in wrong place. )
Thanks
NiroshanJ
Not sure... Most amps give a little bit of buzz when you're playing high-gain stuff. Hope someone can give you a more detailed answer though.
"The definition of a gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes, and doesn't."
Quote by musicfreak0
Not sure... Most amps give a little bit of buzz when you're playing high-gain stuff. Hope someone can give you a more detailed answer though.

Thanks musicfreak0. If it does i don't want to worry.
Not a problem.
"The definition of a gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes, and doesn't."
Most people would just tell you that the MG sucks. While that's true, it's not what causes the buzzing. The buzzing is just feedback from the amp breaking up. Solid state amps sound worse and worse as you raise the volume. Being that it's only a 10W amp, you can't raise the volume very much before you get that annoying feedback. If raising your legs (which lifts the guitar up while you sit) lessens the buzzing, it may be your output jack on your guitar. Check to make sure it's screwed in properly and tightened. The only other thing could be the wiring in the cable itself. Try swapping which end of the cable plugs into your guitar and amp to see if that helps.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by niroshanj
Everything is well except i turn on the overdrive channel. it makes some buzzing sound when i increase the volume. Is it normal??
Distortion will make any guitar buzz. Electromagnetic interference (EMI) from lights and phones and wireless signals, etc. gets into the pickups and into the signal your guitar sends. With distortion it is amplified quite a lot. If you turn up the clean channel loud enough you'll probably hear it too. You would get buzz even with an esteemed Marshall Plexi.
Quote by niroshanj
Funny thing is when i raise my legs up (not standing in the floor) buzzing sound is reduce but i put the legs down (standing in the floor) it is increased.
Your guitar is probably a single coil guitar? Like a Stratocaster or Telecaster style? Single coils do not do much to cancel out the EMI. Humbucker pickups, like you might see on a Les Paul style guitar, cancel hum quite a bit better. But I would not worry about the buzz in your case. If it bothers you too much you can get a pedal called a noise gate, it shuts off signal from your guitar when you are not playing.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Most people would just tell you that the MG sucks. While that's true, it's not what causes the buzzing. The buzzing is just feedback from the amp breaking up. Solid state amps sound worse and worse as you raise the volume. Being that it's only a 10W amp, you can't raise the volume very much before you get that annoying feedback.
Solid State amps do not inherently sound worse as they are turned up. Granted SS amps generally do not sound good to experienced players at all. And the wattage/feedback has nothing to do with it. The MG is fine for a beginner electric player.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
. If raising your legs (which lifts the guitar up while you sit) lessens the buzzing, it may be your output jack on your guitar. Check to make sure it's screwed in properly and tightened. The only other thing could be the wiring in the cable itself. Try swapping which end of the cable plugs into your guitar and amp to see if that helps.
Nah, likely it is just the position Niroshanj is sitting in picks up EMI really well, and the other position doesn't.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 2, 2016,
git neu amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Most people would just tell you that the MG sucks. While that's true, it's not what causes the buzzing. The buzzing is just feedback from the amp breaking up. Solid state amps sound worse and worse as you raise the volume. Being that it's only a 10W amp, you can't raise the volume very much before you get that annoying feedback. If raising your legs (which lifts the guitar up while you sit) lessens the buzzing, it may be your output jack on your guitar. Check to make sure it's screwed in properly and tightened. The only other thing could be the wiring in the cable itself. Try swapping which end of the cable plugs into your guitar and amp to see if that helps.

Thanks Crackhead. As you said, it only happens after I turn on the over-drive channel and increase the volume. When it happens, if my legs touch the floor buzzing sound is increase little more. but if i put my legs in carpet or wear some slippers, increase on the buzz is not happen. I also used another output jack and swap the cable ends, but that buzzing sound is still same.

I tried turn volume and over-drive knob to middle and it sound better and less buzzing which is acceptable to me. But I really like high over-drive and less buzzing. So I think I should try another powerful amp.
Quote by niroshanj
Thanks Crackhead. As you said, it only happens after I turn on the over-drive channel and increase the volume. When it happens, if my legs touch the floor buzzing sound is increase little more. but if i put my legs in carpet or wear some slippers, increase on the buzz is not happen. I also used another output jack and swap the cable ends, but that buzzing sound is still same.

I tried turn volume and over-drive knob to middle and it sound better and less buzzing which is acceptable to me. But I really like high over-drive and less buzzing. So I think I should try another powerful amp.
Did you not read what I said? Power has nothing to do with it. If anything more power will make the buzzing louder.

If you want to buy something, buy this and learn how to use it: http://www.ehx.com/products/silencer
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 5, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
Distortion will make any guitar buzz. Electromagnetic interference (EMI) from lights and phones and wireless signals, etc. gets into the pickups and into the signal your guitar sends. With distortion it is amplified quite a lot. If you turn up the clean channel loud enough you'll probably hear it too. You would get buzz even with an esteemed Marshall Plexi.Your guitar is probably a single coil guitar? Like a Stratocaster or Telecaster style? Single coils do not do much to cancel out the EMI. Humbucker pickups, like you might see on a Les Paul style guitar, cancel hum quite a bit better. But I would not worry about the buzz in your case. If it bothers you too much you can get a pedal called a noise gate, it shuts off signal from your guitar when you are not playing.Solid State amps do not inherently sound worse as they are turned up. Granted SS amps generally do not sound good to experienced players at all. And the wattage/feedback has nothing to do with it. The MG is fine for a beginner electric player.Nah, likely it is just the position Niroshanj is sitting in picks up EMI really well, and the other position doesn't.

Thanks Will Lane. As you said i try with clean tone and increase the volume. True there was a little buzz. So I think my problem is normal.

Yes I have a single coil pickup in between two humbuckers. But buzzing also happen even i switch to humbuckers.

I think I should move on to better amp, But first i should improve my skills
Quote by Will Lane
Did you not read what I said? Power has nothing to do with it. If anything more power will make the buzzing louder.

If you want to buy something, buy this and learn how to use it: http://www.ehx.com/products/silencer

Yes i read I think I should correct it as a less buzzing amp or stuff-to-reduce-the-buzz.

Yes i like to try something. Thanks for the link and all
Quote by niroshanj

I think I should move on to better amp, But first i should improve my skills

Yes, keep the amp while you're learning to play. You will probably want a nicer amp down the road. Spend some time on these boards and you'll learn what kind of amps should interest you and which to stay away from when it's time to upgrade. I had practically the same amp when I was learning, and it suited just fine for the purpose. That Noise Gate that Will suggested can certainly help. And it'll remain useful even after you upgrade. Definitely read the instructions and learn how to use it, like Will said.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.