I'm a total beginner to guitar and I bought my first electric guitar, a Vintage V100 (Les Paul style) guitar a month back and I noticed a few abnormalities and I'm not sure if they are actually defects or if it's just the way it is.

1) When the volume knob on the guitar is kept less than half of the maximum, I notice that it sometime doesn't pick up the note I'm playing, particularly on the B and high E strings. If I pick hard, the note gets picked up. But it doesn't pick up very light to medium picking most of the time.

2) When I put my amp on overdrive and play a note and let it sustain for a long time, the sound decays slowly for 5 seconds but gets cut off abruptly in the end.

In short, I feel that the pickups of the guitar do not pick up light vibrations of the string and that causes the above mentioned problems. This happens on both the neck and bridge pickup BTW.

Is it supposed to be like that or is it something related to my amp or my picking technique? Or is it a problem with my guitar's pickups or the wiring?

I've had some problems with the guitar since I bought it (mainly poor soldering and loose connections) but I got that fixed in the store I bought it from.

My amp is a Blackstar ID Core 10.
Last edited by sn.vintagev100 at Jan 1, 2016,
If you are picking the strings with the same force then they should ring at about the same volume (theoretically they would be the same). The first culprit to come to mind is the pickup. Does it have more than one that you can try?

I'd really recommend that you go to a music store and let them give it a full review and let them fix anything they find.

Since you already confirmed that it has had other problems, even if you were able to fix this problem, more than like it would be a short amount of time before you find the next one.
Quote by Dysnomia
If you are picking the strings with the same force then they should ring at about the same volume (theoretically they would be the same). The first culprit to come to mind is the pickup. Does it have more than one that you can try?

I'd really recommend that you go to a music store and let them give it a full review and let them fix anything they find.

Since you already confirmed that it has had other problems, even if you were able to fix this problem, more than like it would be a short amount of time before you find the next one.

This behavior is common to both the neck pickup and bridge pickup. The problem is that at half volume, there is no sound from the amps if I pick the strings lightly. It's like it needs a little bit of more force at lower volumes for the sound to go through, mainly in the B and high E probably because they have more tension. I suspect that it's something to do with the amp. Maybe it has something like an in-build noise filter or something that blocks the low intensity sounds. It could also be that I'm picking it at the wrong spot and the strings don't vibrate enough for the pickups to catch it. I'm planning to go to the store as a last resort as it is quite far from where I live.

Thanks for the reply!
I tried another amp and the guitar seemed fine. I guess it was the amp blocking out the sounds. I guess my guitar wasn't the problem.
Do you have a compressor/limiter or some other sound enhancement device on with the other amp? What kind of amp is it- tube or solid state. Is it used?
Quote by Dysnomia
Do you have a compressor/limiter or some other sound enhancement device on with the other amp? What kind of amp is it- tube or solid state. Is it used?

No. The guitar is plugged straight into the amp. It's a new amp. I'm not sure what type it is. I'm quite sure it's not a tube amp though.