I have a simple question. I can play fast but most of the time doing that

E. \/1 /\3 \/3
A. \/1 /\2 \/3
D. \/1 /\2 \/3

seems much more easier for me than this.

E. \/1 /\2 \/3
A. /\1 \/2 /\3
D. \/1 /\2 \/3

do you think I should start over to master the 2nd example?
Last edited by Aeternal at Jan 1, 2016,
That's called economy picking. Both work; they have a somewhat different sound. Learning both is generally going to be the most beneficial choice, but do what you prefer.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Neither is "wrong". If you are a downpicking nazi, ala James Hetfield and anyone that thinks you have to play "master of puppets" with all downstrokes - then you should stick to your first example. Applying that to lead playing is "economy picking" and is a really neat thing to be able to pick up (I can't do it great )

I played like that for years, and it was great for Metallica type songs...but not for much else. If you want to get into lead playing and much more interesting riffage, then you need to try and learn the alternate thing, in my opinion.
The first you mentioned is economy picking. The second is pure alternate picking.
Alternate picking really isn't that difficult if you do it enough. For me it's easier to do pure alternate picking than economy picking.
Quote by NorthernLord
The first you mentioned is economy picking. The second is pure alternate picking.
Alternate picking really isn't that difficult if you do it enough. For me it's easier to do pure alternate picking than economy picking.

For fast 3nps scale runs, which I play a lot, I don't think alternate is easier than "economy." Alternate gives, undeniably, a lot of attack between string changes (which is great) but it also takes more energy (both mentally and physically) than economy. At least it does for me.
Last edited by Aeternal at Jan 3, 2016,