No matter how hard I try to strum barre chords, I always miss a string ( the G or the B-string).
I have tried:
moving my index finger up and down.
rotating my index finger so the other side is placed on the fret
applying pressure from my thumb at different points of the guitar's neck
None seems to work. It just seems impossible. I've been trying to get a good sound for almost three days now but no, it never comes out.
Last edited by rareflyingbird at Jan 1, 2016,
I think it makes a difference on what kind of neck you are playing.

If you are using a metal type guitar, such as Ibanez/Jackson,etc, barre chords are a little harder because of the high fretboard radius (flatter fretboard)

It's much easier to do barre's on a Fender/Gibson type neck.

Not saying that you can't get it down on an Ibanez type neck, just expect it to be a little harder on your left hand.
After 8 years or so playing i still can't get B string to sound on acoustic guitar. My index finger is just fucked up and i can't do it, maybe it's the for you too.
Quote by Reages
After 8 years or so playing i still can't get B string to sound on acoustic guitar. My index finger is just fucked up and i can't do it, maybe it's the for you too.

wow, so how exactly do you describe a fucked up index finger?
Quote by pressureproject
I think it makes a difference on what kind of neck you are playing.

If you are using a metal type guitar, such as Ibanez/Jackson,etc, barre chords are a little harder because of the high fretboard radius (flatter fretboard)

It's much easier to do barre's on a Fender/Gibson type neck.

Not saying that you can't get it down on an Ibanez type neck, just expect it to be a little harder on your left hand.

I have an acoustic guitar.
Barre chords are just one of many paths to a music vocabulary. If they are not working for you after 3 years, go down a different path. Lots of pro jazz players use inside chords instead of barre to articulate exactly the chord voicing they want. Lots of ways to get there and you don't have to use barre chords if they are a barrier to progress.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by rareflyingbird
No matter how hard I try to strum barre chords, I always miss a string ( the G or the B-string).
I have tried:
moving my index finger up and down.
rotating my index finger so the other side is placed on the fret
applying pressure from my thumb at different points of the guitar's neck
None seems to work. It just seems impossible. I've been trying to get a good sound for almost three days now but no, it never comes out.

Are you playong on acoustic or electric? Keep workin and practice song with barre chord. But dont need to worry too much about it. Have fun playing is what kept me going. You will develop or find your own technique cause everyone hands and fingers are different but if u work on it it will all come together. I been there too , after about 4-6 month. I can do any barre with ease. But i cant do it on acoustic consistently for a long time. Then i start practice alot on acoustic and it worked eventually.And i thought i can never do hendrix type of f barre chord but after 1 year i can it with ease.
Quote by rareflyingbird
I have an acoustic guitar.

Acoustic is much harder for beginner in my opinion. If i have gotten an acoustic when i started i might have quit after a few weeks lol. The problem is your finger dont have enough strength and dexterity yet. It takes time to develop strengh and muscle memory.

acoustic is good in a way. When you make mistake on acoustic it will be very apparent, theres no effect or distortion to hide it. Just keep playing.
Last edited by Reborncow at Jan 5, 2016,