So i have a prs tremonti se and im wanting another guitar, i was looking at a mexican standard fender strat because i dont have the money for an american one. i could sell my prs and get a used american or i could get a used mexican one and put upgrades. or i could get a new amp. i have a line 6 spider iv 30. i dont know what i should do. any tips to helping me decide.

fyi i play alt rock.
If you love your PRS, don't sell it to get setting new. You might not bond with it the same way as with your current gear.

Now...what's your budget? Why do you want a new guitar- as in, what has prompted this new guitar lust?

And how in love with your current amp?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
My budget is 600. and i truly dont know why but i just want a new guitar. and im not really in love with my amp.
I asked about the amp because sometimes the desire to buy a new axe stems from the sounds coming out of the amp...which is more of an amp problem than a guitar problem.

$600 can buy a lot of guitar these days, especially if you're willing to buy used. Are you?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Ok.

Well, while virtually any guitar can be used to play virtually any kind of music with the right pedals and amps, if you want a standard sound for a given genre, it's easier to start off with the standard gear for the genre.

So...what kind of music do you want to play?

your guitar is more than fine. you have a great guitar.

your amp is holding you back. replace the amp. get a 600 dollar amp and you will blow your mind. and maybe your nu*z. the difference will be in a different universe.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Thanks, ikey. You confirmed what I suspected about the amp.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 1, 2016,
So does getting the amp more important than getting the same guitar to get the tone they have?
Yep.

Think of your overall sound like an ice-cream sundae. The ice-cream would be the amp; pedals would be the syrup & toppings of choice; the guitar would be the cherry & whipped cream on top.

All of the gear contributes, but the guitar is more about the fine tuning of your tone than defining your tone. That's why you'll see guitars of all kinds in virtually every genre, but the variety of types of amps will be comparatively smaller.