I found a justin guitar video for bryan Adams when you're gone but I just can't get it to sound right and it's probably one of the least complicated guitar songs I've learned I'm playing it with open chords as I see a video of it live and he's using open chords but I can't get the sound it's all down strums pretty much with a couple of quick down ups between changes but it just sounds wrong.

I am trying to add accents in time but it still sounds crap why is it always the simple songs that become hard.
Well, you can choose to believe this or not, but it's an issue of Newtonian physics, with a little bit of time lag from delay in the "reflex arc" thrown in for good measure.

"A body, (or arm), in motion tends to remain in motion". It requires a lot more force than you think it does, to stop your arm dead in the "follow through" from a strum, to reverse the motion up perform the up "chink". Then too, you lose time as your brain processes the reversal request, and sends it back down to your arm muscles. So, you have to anticipate the reversal of motion, and stay ahead of it mentally.

It's just one of those things which requires more practice than merely striking on the beat. It's an unnatural movement, and yes, the next thing I'm going to say is, " you'll have to put extra practice into that activity.

If you want to listen to a bizarre, "stop me and reverse me at an odd time" syncopation, I'd suggest "All Along the Watchtower" by either Jimi Hendrix, or Dave Mason.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 1, 2016,