Hey Guys,

I´ve got an ENGL e651 Artist Amp. I´m quite happy, also with the metal sound but id like to push my distortion a little bit to make it sound a little bit more "heavy". I got myself some pretty expensive Booster and Distortion Pedal to test them, "EP" Booster (From Xotic USA) and the "Riot Reloaded" Distortion (From Suhr). I think the Booster really helps but if I use the Distortion in the Clean Channel its Sounds more like Rock and not Metal. Never played any other real pedals!

What do you guys think i could use to improve my "Metal Sound"?

Greetings
well when you boost an amp with an OD/distortion pedal you put the level on max, gain on 0 and tone to taste.

Personally I don't use Distortion pedals because I get the distortion from the amp, I do use OD pedals to boost the front sometimes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
well when you boost an amp with an OD/distortion pedal you put the level on max, gain on 0 and tone to taste.

And then go to Clean or Dist Channel on the Amp and how much Gain on them Amp?
Quote by slayer87lp
And then go to Clean or Dist Channel on the Amp and how much Gain on them Amp?

Use the boost pedal on the dirty channel of your amp. set the gain of your amp to almost what you typically would, but back it off just a bit. Now use the boost pedal with the dirty channel at those settings and you'll hear a subtle but noticeable change
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 1, 2016,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Use the boost pedal on the dirty channel of your amp. set the gain of your amp to almost what you typically would, but back it off just a bit. Now use the boost pedal with the dirty channel at those settings and you'll hear a subtle but noticeable change

Do you mean the real Boost Pedal now or the Distortion? I really like the Boost with only one Knob, now I tried to use the Dist as you said and that worked pretty good too. But doesnt sound goot enough to be worth 211€ to me ^^
Quote by slayer87lp
Do you mean the real Boost Pedal now or the Distortion? I really like the Boost with only one Knob, now I tried to use the Dist as you said and that worked pretty good too. But doesnt sound goot enough to be worth 211€ to me ^^

Just the boost, you don't need the distortion pedal.
Also, for the purpose of boosting a metal amp, a 30€ tubescreamer clone is imo just as good as any 200€+ boutique pedal.
Quote by slayer87lp

the Boost. the Exotic is what's known as a clean boost as it just ups the signal but does't change anythig tone wise. what you want to explore are overdrive pedals. they will work like the boost but also give you further tone control which can be very helpful. what many do is set th amp for the rhythm sound they want distortion wise and then use the OD (overdrive) to add some more bite for leads and tailor the lead sound.
^+1
just use the boost, take the distortion pedal back.

Lots of players use Tubescreamer style OD's as a boost in that manor, distortions not so much.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There's also a distortion blended trick some of the more extreme genres use - you set your dirt channel on crunch (think AC/DC) and then add the distortion in the front, gain set to zero and you start to blend it in, the idea is to get the "punch" from the amp distortion and the "buzz" from the pedal. The HM-2 was very popular in that role.
you have this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZzVzfAFAgE

sell the suhr. this amp needs no more gain itself really. thats a very high quality high gain amp. you shouldnt need any more.

xotix EP booster is a FANTASIC boost, but NOT for high gain. it actually has a bass boost, or a flat EQ. this is good for cleans, and light rock / country. the flat setting can handle rock.

in metal you want a serious MID BOOST. this is why tubescreamers with the gain low and the level up are amazing for this. or any booster pedal with an EQ, etc. the goal is to boost the LEVEL (not gain) and ensure the pedal is imparting a good bit of mids, whatever pedal does that will work.

not to bash you, but you picked probably the worst boost for your need that you could have.

basically this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYtXBUS_kwY

you may or may not scoop sound, but boosting bass can have a relatively same effect.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
you have this?

not to bash you, but you picked probably the worst boost for your need that you could have.

yep i got that amp

yeah no problem ill just send it back and see