Sitting with my right leg crossed over my left, and resting the guitar on my right thigh is the only way I can play comfortably. I only ever see people playing with it normally on their right or left leg but it just doesn't feel right for me. Is there anything bad about playing with the legs crossed?
It's fine for general playing, but I wouldn't do serious technique workouts in that posture. Any time you might be putting a lot of stress on your left wrist it's a good idea to use the classical posture, with the guitar on the left knee and the guitar's headstock at the same level as your head.
Quote by cdgraves
It's fine for general playing, but I wouldn't do serious technique workouts in that posture. Any time you might be putting a lot of stress on your left wrist it's a good idea to use the classical posture, with the guitar on the left knee and the guitar's headstock at the same level as your head.

Thank you. Could you give some examples of what I should be doing in the classical position? I'm just a beginner strumming basic chords at the moment
This guy has a good basic rundown of the postures: http://www.rockguitartraining.com.au/casual-and-classical-sitting-positions.html

(that guy is not me)

I do my warm ups and technique workouts in the classical position. That includes, for me, mostly scales and arpeggios, and left hand legato. It's very easy to tense up when you're pushing your technical boundaries, and the classical posture makes it much easier to keep the wrist and arm relaxed.
Quote by cdgraves
This guy has a good basic rundown of the postures: http://www.rockguitartraining.com.au/casual-and-classical-sitting-positions.html

(that guy is not me)

I do my warm ups and technique workouts in the classical position. That includes, for me, mostly scales and arpeggios, and left hand legato. It's very easy to tense up when you're pushing your technical boundaries, and the classical posture makes it much easier to keep the wrist and arm relaxed.

Great video. Covers so many points that I thought only I was experiencing.