Hello friends
Without boring you of the details, I'm in the market for a new amp, and am looking to be as loud as possible, though this is an area I've never really known too much about.
I'm currently looking at the Reeves custom 100 as a starting point, but again I'm basically in the dark here.
Any advice on what to look at would be greatly appreciated
For that money you could build one hell of an RM100 rig. You could afford quit a few MTS preamp modules for it. Look at what is on offer:
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
When you get to hundred watt amps the volume is more limited by the size and acoustics of the room than by the amp. If you really want maximum volume you need to be in a band that can line up venues with great acoustics. Otherwise you’ll just be one more crazy loud guy chasing the audience away. I’m not kidding—I went to a doom show earlier this year in a small venue (max capacity 300 if you count the bathrooms) and the headliner had two Hovercraft stacks set up. People started leaving after the opening act because they didn’t want to listen to that insanity.
well im 27 years old, never been in a legit band (95% bedroom player) and infreqently play / jam with people, and i can tell you 1 interesting night in oct. 2014 playing in a guys garage with my 50 watt carvin v3m and a 2x12 cab (anda full band in a tight space, including a hard hitting drummer, and a guitarist with a half stack) was the prime occurence in giving me temporary hearing damage and perminent tinitus for the rest of my life.

when i lay my head down at night, i cant go to sleep due to the ringing.

so, PLEASE dont make overall DB volume your main objective. TONE is the objective. watts are not volume. watts are about the tone you want. the reasons pros still can hear is because of ways to temper volume. they use those 100 watt stacks for a tone based reason (or looks), not volume.

figure it out, but dont figure it out like me.

edit - i am now forced to wear custom fitted ear plugs to concerts in risk the ringing gets louder. forever. it will never go away (until medical science changes) it will only get louder.

i stress, wear ear plugs. if you are trying to be the loudest all the time, consider giving up sleep for the rest of your life.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jan 1, 2016,
I've had tinnitus (due to a judo injury, not sound) for 30 years and I sleep just fine. Just saying.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I remember interview with Dime when he said that he had constant whine in his ears, so in order to combat that there was always something cranked at his house

Seriously though, hearing injury is no easy matter. As a musician I didn't do much damage but as a recording engineer things got worse, especially when you have some idiot that will always bang a snare drum whil you're trying to stick a mic under it, or some guitarist will decide to practice his arpeggios at full blast exactly at the moment that your miking their amp...

Anyway - TS, if you want to be loud look at loud tube amps and a full stack, usually a good starting point will be something will less innards and a straighter signal, like a PTP Marshall Plexi and the stack of 1960s never dissapoints. Might want to look at some of the other Marshall clones like Friedman amps. It all depends on preference, Mesas can get real loud, VHT/Fryette, Diezen, Engl, Peavey 6505 100 watt heads, the EVH III by Fender. Basically look for 100 watt tube power and God help you!
30 watts tube can keep up with a drummer. 50 watts might be enough to be safe to fill a venue. Volume is not everything. Really, an ideal gig would be for you to have the amp mic'd in a back room.

What genres do you play, TS?
If the amp is in a separate room how the fuck do you get feedback?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
this is a dumb thread. dumb is dumb.

if you want to be the loudest you can be, get a PA system going.

maybe an orange thunderverb 200 into two PPC-412's. should make you go deaf really fast.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Will Lane
Is that part of the criteria?

It ALWAYS is with me, yes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If the amp is in a separate room how the fuck do you get feedback?

Actually, I'll crank up the Sustainer. You can get the effect of feedback without an amp.
Quote by brettenns
Hello friends
Without boring you of the details, I'm in the market for a new amp, and am looking to be as loud as possible, though this is an area I've never really known too much about.
I'm currently looking at the Reeves custom 100 as a starting point, but again I'm basically in the dark here.

My main amp starts with a 1500W power amp. I've never pushed it to see how loud it can get, but there's never an issue being louder than a Reeves Custom 100 (or any other 100W tube amp, for that matter). It's always seemed to be a pointless pursuit.

So...bore us with details. There must be more to this.
Experiment with power vs volume. A friend of mine had a 35w tube amp driving a 4 12 cab. His brother had a 100w 2 12 combo. Even though the 100w was ear piercing loud, I would still take the 35 for its punch. Those 4 12s felt like it went through you
Quote by dspellman
Actually, I'll crank up the Sustainer. You can get the effect of feedback without an amp.

For people with some feedback skills it's a poor substitute.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you want to be the loudest you can be, get a PA system going.

Most large venues have excessively large PAs now anyway. It’s cheaper to just buy the sound guy a few drinks than to deal with large amps.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
maybe an orange thunderverb 200 into two PPC-412's. should make you go deaf really fast.

That reminds me! Doyle runs a guitar preamp into a pair of Ampeg SVTs with custom cabinets. I’m pretty sure he has a history of being banned from venues for the volume that rig puts out.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
this is a dumb thread. dumb is dumb.

Quote by dspellman
It's always seemed to be a pointless pursuit.

So...bore us with details. There must be more to this.

This.

We live in the era of cheap power. You can get a fridge-sized rack and fill it with power-amps, then get a matching dozen or so cabs.

But I don't see why you'd bother. There is little point to it outside of being the biggest dick in the dick parade.
Quote by Cathbard

I'll explain that to Neal Schon next time I see him. He's been using Sustainers on his guitars for years.

Ditto Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Steve Lukather, Steve Stevens, Danny Lohner, Steve Vai, Blues Saraceno, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Kerry King, The Edge, Andreas Kisser, Reeves Gabrels, Lee Ranaldo, Duff McKagan, Frank Marino, Mike Clark, Steve Hackett, Daniel A/sh, Davey Johnstone, Tommy Bolan, etc.

Maybe we can catch them up.
Quote by Cathbard

But it does answer the question, 'How do you get those sounds with the amp in another room?.'
Eric Clapton had a lot of success cranking an amp all the way up, which is how we got what we now call the "woman" tone. If this is the kind of thing you're looking for, I would look into lower wattage amps, such as a 50 watt. If you are just looking to be loud for the sake of being loud, well good luck with that. You'll be hard pressed to find people who want to jam with you and even more hard pressed to find an audience.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
TS deff needs to look at the Crate BV300, 300watts of tube goodness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcLiUfnaAeY&feature=player_detailpage

Or if that isn't big enough the BV600 1/2 stack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7mvH8wFdE&feature=player_detailpage
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I left the best band I ever played in back in the mid 80's. The lead guitarist insisted on a 50 watt Marshal half stack on each side of the stage. They were cranked all the time. I would drive home from a gig with my ears ringing loudly. After awhile the ringing became somewhat permanent. I am OK when there is normal room noise but when I lay down to sleep I can definitely hear that low buzz. I know it goes back to that band. I recently ran into the bass player from that band who left before I did for the same reason. He has the problem worse than I do.

Do what you want but sometime down the road just remember you were warned it would happen. Don't think "it won't happen to me". It will.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by dspellman

"The effect of"
..I was watching my death.