I ordered a used guitar from a Guitar Center in another state. No idea yet if the sales guy was being 100% truthful about condition.

I'm just wondering if Guitar Center generally will negotiate on price. Seems to me I've read of people here offering 20% or so less and GC accepting.

Thanks for any replies.
nope. GC is very corporate these days and heavily in debt. unless a used item has been in stock for over 90 days then don't expect them to budge on price. the stores have pricing guidelines which are identical so the guitar was priced by condition. coupons for 20% off for the most part don't apply to used items
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jan 1, 2016,
It depends. Some stores yes, some no. And it depends on what guitar it is. It can’t hurt to try. Do it on a weekday morning when the store is dead and they’re more likely to say yes than on Saturday afternoon. Guitar Center will price match almost anybody, including Amazon, so that’s an option, too. And remember, you can usually get Musicians Friend to knock any price down ten or fifteen percent just by calling.
Having bought from GC in the past, I can say there does seem to be a change, and probably for the stated reasons. Yesterday, I tried to get a discount for paying in cash, and it was a no-go.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Having bought from GC in the past, I can say there does seem to be a change, and probably for the stated reasons. Yesterday, I tried to get a discount for paying in cash, and it was a no-go.

yes they have gotten very strict on the no haggle policy. thy used to haggle but without approval from above most managers just say no. on the bright side it really seems like they try to be fairly reasonable with their used prices.
I had GC knock $20 or $30 off a used MIM strat from across the country. 2 tone sunburst without a knick or dent and a Fender hardshell case.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
I had GC knock $20 or $30 off a used MIM strat from across the country. 2 tone sunburst without a knick or dent and a Fender hardshell case.

how long ago was that?

a few years ago i got a few hundred knocked back on an ibanez prestige that was in a way NOS, it was an older model that never sold.

but since have picked up a few things, and i couldn't even get them to knock 5% off or even a set or two of strings.

i have no affiliations with them, but i think their policy may have changed. if somebody here works at GC, i would be interested to know.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/