Just got a beginners, Yamaha F325D Acoustic for Xmas. Really want to learn how to play. I knew it would be a slow march uphill since I've never played a guitar before but seems it may be harder than I anticipated due to my fingers not cooperating.

I've started my learning process by attempting to do a simple dexterity exercise shown on THIS YouTube video authored by Erich Andreas. You take a single string (high E in this example) and play the string along the four upper frets. The video makes it look easy. Unfortunately my ring finger will simply not cooperate. Is there any exercise I can do to get my fingers to function properly for guitar playing?

Here is a picture of the guy's fingers doing this exercise in the above video. He makes it look simple & easy:

NOTE: Couldn't get the link insertion tool to work so here is the link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1ojpl_EVlg

And here is what MY fingers look like while attempting the same. Note how my ring finger will not separate much from my middle finger and is slightly curved inward:

Last edited by Wolfcamp at Jan 1, 2016,