0 0%
Song 9
1 8%
Song 10
0 0%
Voters: 13.
Page 1 of 2
Hello!

You've probably seen these "Songwriting" threads threadin' about for some time now. A whole year two years to be precise.

Up until now, we made 302 528 original songs, 25 64 of which were made for the "Free Week", plus 29 75 covers. We filled made 7 13 albums + bonus tracks.

I hope this group has been useful in people's songwriting endeavors, and thank you so much to everyone who submitted songs, as well as everyone who voted on them.

So...

Below are our TOP 10 songs of the year, carefully selected using a rigorous and fair method devised by sickman411.
(Of course there are always individual preferences to take into consideration and all that stuff... Still, these are the best as far as maths are concerned. Btw, fuck you maths.)

All we're asking you to do is vote on the one you liked the most.
We'll be really thankful if you do that!

Here they are:

1 - "Around Here" (Trifonas)

2 - "Kate" (SirZep)

3 - "Leather" (MapOfYourHead)

4 - "Acid Tongues" (whywefight)

5 - "You" (chev311e)

6 - "Gravity" (nico_9550)

7 - "Spring Princess" (ultimate-slash)

8 - "Stranger" (ehbacon, whywefight)

9 - "Desert Sea" (mind_meld, SirZep)

10 - "Purple Elephant" (FoOltz)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are last year's songs of the year:
From primusfan, it's "Textual Healing: An Autocorrect Louvre Story",
from Trifonas, it's "There's No Love in You",
and from whywefight, it's "House of Leaves"!

Thanks everyone, have a good year

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Saturday (post your song for next week meanwhile). The winner of this week's voting will be a mod in our group for the whole year!

------------------
The usual video, just for shits and giggles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzxQgRbTesA

Last year's thread!: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1664887
OR
Last week's thread!: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1693293

i copied most of last year's thread mwahahahahaaaaaaa
Mini and Sickman just think Kate from Lost is really sexy. Completely understandable.

Also in the list of things they think are sexy: spring princesses, purple elephants, gravity (more specifically, Sandra Bullock in Gravity. That space suit dayum), acid tongues(?), strangers, desert seas....

...and you
Yes. I made it! Now I can retire.
Edit: Voted for Spring Princess because it never ceases to be awesome.
Acid Tongues was the other one I was deciding between but I kind of counted it out due to my Exactly That bias. I also had forgotten how good You and Kate were.

Great year guys.
Last edited by FoOltz at Jan 2, 2016,
FUUUUUUUUUU CK
I thought Sleep would make the cut
Anyway I'm happy I'm on this list either way.
It seems pretty strange having ten people around the world listening to your crappy songwriting attempts.
Going to listen to all of these to achieve maximum nostalgia.
Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there.
Last edited by Trifonas at Jan 2, 2016,
1. Made this just for fun. Never expected it would actually even win in its week.

2. K8y k8: Most of your songs have really grown on me. I remember listening to your stuff when I first started visiting the game and they were always hit or miss.
This one's one of my favorites, though I really prefer 3366 from the last weeks (I don't remember which one). It has that trademark sound of yours, acoustic guitars nicely panned and reverbed and eerie reverbed singing.
It's nice that you've actually kinda outgrown the Frusciante riffs (I don't say they were a bad thing - they were amazingly catchy) and now every song you make seems more original and YOURS.
The piano would sound a bit better if it was played a bit more softly, but it matches the song really nice. Not having beats over this is also a nice touch, as they could easily ruin the song.

3. Shiny Boots of Mappy:
I miss Map. This must be from the period I took a break for studying and shit (or maybe I have a terrible memory). It has this signature blocks-of-wood-in-the-place-of-the-snare sound that I really enjoy, but this isn't one of my favorite Map songs.
The thing I don't really like is the sound of the synths. It reminds me of early brostep which I hate.
Anyway this track evolves great and with a change on those synths it would sound really droney and landscapey if those are a thing. The ending is what makes up for it since it wraps around your head like clothes and takes you for a spin. I can't find another way to describe it.
4. Oxidized Pussy Licker: I can't describe how much I enjoy your guitar work. It's what I enjoy most in every track you make. This one has amazing drumming and background noises and your vocals are slightly different than usual which makes it more special than some of your other tracks.
There are only one or two things I dislike about this song, that, in the end, don't actually matter. Production is top notch and I really enjoy the vocal line. The only few things I don't actually care about are some guitar licks that seem out of place for me (I like all the chord type riffs, but some moments such as the part before the bridge don't do much). The droney, delayed guitar feedback throughout the song lift it nicely.
I would be interested to see it go on a bit more and have some kind of climax, but it's already fine as it is.
So far this is my favorite.

5. Me:
That blues riff is not really my thing. There are songs you made that I like far more than this one. I also don't remember listening to this one again.
The chorus parts are my favorite element in this and they blend perfectly with the sounds your acoustic guitar makes (notably those little riffs that I hear in my left ear here and there).
The outro kinda made up for some of the parts that I don't really like even if I'm not such a solo guy.

6. Gravity-y-y-y-y-y on me, Never let me down, jelly:
You created some great soundscapes with this one. It gives this feeling of floating and spinning slowly. I don't like that synth on 1:15, but overall there isn't a single bad thing about this song.
I would love to see it progress a little more. Maybe evolve into a crazy beat and a sonic explosion. It would suit in an ambient album as a great passage.
7. Mario's girl: I dislike most of the intro, but from the moment the beat kicks in till the ending it's pretty much awesome. Your vocals are spot-on, the triple snare hits are spot-on and the feedback that's in the back compliments the track really fantastic.
The bass doesn't really do it for me. There's something off about it. But the beat makes up for it. I also enjoy the lyrics, as it seems like a bit cheeky "love" song and I really dig this kinda ironic vibe. I don't know if that's what you were aiming for, but anyway it seems pretty clever to me.
Overall, it's great bar the intro. I think about voting for this one too.

8. My best friend:
Really love the sweet acoustic guitar and the clapping. Or is it someone slapping their thighs? The vocal harmonies lift the song up and the chorus made me think of early Pink Floyd mixed with Nick Drake.
I think I wasn't on a break on this, but I still didn't remember it. Not much more to say. I liked the singing on 3:15 and afterwards. It gave me some feeling of nostalgia and softness. Also, getting up from a chair.
Funk. May vote for this one too.
9. Watered Sand: The usual punkier Harrison/Graves songs aren't really my thing (Yes, SirZep, good music isn't my thing , but this is really nice. I would love to hear a shoegaze track from you (link if you did one in the time I was away).
Your vocals are always great, and some slight imperfections make them even better for me and especially in this track they seem even better with that acoustic guitar. The finger picking patterns are great, but the effects that are applied on the background guitar chords at some points are kinda bad.
The percussion is pretty much the best thing you could think of for this song. It actually surprised me as I didn't expect something at that point.
The production isn't so great for the drums and electric guitar bridge, but overall this is the best song I've heard from you two.

10. Purple Elephant:
What more can I say about this track? I've already given you so much praise about this. I really enjoy the vocals and guitar riffs and the indistinguishable lyrics.
I remember voting for this the week it came out. I'm not going to say much more since I've already said a lot that week. You know I covered it because it was awesome. Sorry if I changed it so much. THE FUCKER'S DEAD TO ME.
Forgot about the lovely outro. Great choice of synths and stuff. Not a big fan of the blast beat section in the bridge, though and the acoustic guitar that comes after the breakdown.
Still the outro makes it near-perfect with those strings and bleep-bloops.
Crappity crap. Now I really don't know which song I'm going to pick.
I enjoyed spamming this thread
And I approve this message.

At least we have a lot of time until I decide which one to vote for.

nice, didn't think I would get a song in, much less gravity

Quote by Trifonas

6. Gravity-y-y-y-y-y on me, Never let me down, jelly:
You created some great soundscapes with this one. It gives this feeling of floating and spinning slowly. I don't like that synth on 1:15, but overall there isn't a single bad thing about this song.
I would love to see it progress a little more. Maybe evolve into a crazy beat and a sonic explosion. It would suit in an ambient album as a great passage.

thanks for the nice words, that's exactly what the song ended up being
Yeah guys I've sort of only skimmed the thread so far, but just to clarify a few things, Cosmic Race Lady and Sleep aren't there because free weeks don't count. I have a new laptop and I don't have Excel installed yet but when I do, I'll check if they would have made it.
Quote by sickman411
Yeah guys I've sort of only skimmed the thread so far, but just to clarify a few things, Cosmic Race Lady and Sleep aren't there because free weeks don't count. I have a new laptop and I don't have Excel installed yet but when I do, I'll check if they would have made it.

Is a computer even a computer if it doesn't have Excel's wondrous spreadsheet-making abilities?
Voted for Acid Tongues

I'm incredibly flattered by the votes I've gotten so far
Quote by Trifonas
7. Mario's girl: I dislike most of the intro, but from the moment the beat kicks in till the ending it's pretty much awesome. Your vocals are spot-on, the triple snare hits are spot-on and the feedback that's in the back compliments the track really fantastic.
The bass doesn't really do it for me. There's something off about it. But the beat makes up for it. I also enjoy the lyrics, as it seems like a bit cheeky "love" song and I really dig this kinda ironic vibe. I don't know if that's what you were aiming for, but anyway it seems pretty clever to me.
Overall, it's great bar the intro. I think about voting for this one too.

I really like that you'd say that about the lyrics actually. I hoped for it to come across as a sort of love song, in this case with a more general kind of love than the whole "you're so pretty, lets hold hands and/or genitals" kinda thing. That being said, I spent a really long time making the lyrics as vague as possible to have them fit several different perspectives. I won't bore you with all the details, but in short it's about someone who doesn't exist yet (either literally or figuratively).
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Jan 3, 2016,
Ended up voting for Acid Tongues
I actually remembered that week

I'd listened to the songs and after I'd heard this one I thought "For funk's sake, when will I write such a dirty, loose riff?" and then proceeded to write some terrible ambient crap.
Quote by sickman411
Advertised it in chat thread

thnx bb

I was really torn between two songs and ended up voting for one of those.
(Although my favourite was 3366 )
dunno who to vote for yet, I'll have to listen again lol

someone voted for me, I'm so happy :')
Quote by whywefight
Voted for spring princess because Im a dirty dirty whore

I'm so happy to hear that!

And I appreciate the vote as well
Quote by whywefight
I dont know what Id do with my life if I lost my eternal mod powers

How will I edit all of your posts without consent :/ :/

(Quick, we'll make ten accounts and vote for you - so when I want to mess with people's comments, I'll ask for your help)
(No one must know)
Quote by Trifonas
(Quick, we'll make ten accounts and vote for you - so when I want to mess with people's comments, I'll ask for your help)
(No one must know)

I appreciate the fact that you'd rather cheat for me and obliquely get what you want rather than just cheating yourself into power

Also obliquely is now a word if it wasnt before
Page 1 of 2