So after a few months of putting money away for a new cabinet I was in the local music store and got a great deal on a cabinet.

Behold the Mesa RectoCab in Grey Taurus:

For $649 Canadian (a steal for a Mesa Cab, I can tell you that) I got this (loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s).

One thing that I've found with this after 2 days is that it's much more solidly built than any other cabinet I've owned, so much so in fact I'd reckon it weighs as much as the Marshall 4x12 it replaced. This isn't a bad thing in any way, but dragging it up 3 flights of stairs to my apartment sucked.

Tonally, I find this exact cabinet to be slightly less focused in the bottom end than most Mesa 2x12s, which suits me fine; I prefer a looser, spongy low end on my guitar sound, and a more pronounced upper mid sound. It has also, so far, preferred distorted guitar tones to clean tones, which is kind of strange for a cabinet.

The Vintage 30s add a nice bite to the mids, and a smooth roll off on the top end, but not that brittle Orange or Fender top end roll either; it maintains the airiness those frequencies add to the sound, but doesn't over enunciate them (looking at you, Redcoats).

Altogether with the amp I'm using, I get a very sculptable sound that doesn't lend itself to one style of music. The sound has burn, but not an overabundance. It's harsh, but smooth at the same time. Obviously a more powerful amp will help for a metal/high gain sound, but my amp is perfect for the size and application I have it in: my apartment.

So yes, that is a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 5. What's the signal chain?

Guitar >> Blues Driver (Max volume, 12 o'clock Tone, 0 gain) >> H&K TM5 (High 6, Mid 6, Bass 4, Master W/E, Gain 5) >> Cabinet.

No thrills, no fill, just some raw sculptable sound.

Value - 10/10. Less than $900 Canadian for any Mesa Cabinet is a bonus
Sound - 9/10. Only complaint here is that unfocused low-end.
Looks - 10/10. I have never seen another Grey Taurus Mesa anything. So I have the only one I know about.

If you can get one of these, try to get it.

Sound clips to follow.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Great, brilliant deal, congrats.

How do you like your H&K T5? What are the cleans like? Ever play it quietly?

DM
Neat, HNCD!

How does the Tubemeister take boosting? Been wondering about that since nobody seems to know what circuitry is inside.
Quote by Dangermouse1968
Great, brilliant deal, congrats.

How do you like your H&K T5? What are the cleans like? Ever play it quietly?

DM

The cleans are somewhat one dimentional, but adding a bit of delay or reverb sweetens it up.

It plays fairly decently at low volumes, but the cleans perfer a fair amount of output to liven up.

Quote by TheQuailman
Neat, HNCD!

How does the Tubemeister take boosting? Been wondering about that since nobody seems to know what circuitry is inside.

It depends on the boost. I went with the Blues Driver becuase the Tubescreamer was way too gnarly and sounded disgusting though this.

That's a common thread for most HK amps: what works for most amps doesn't work the best with these. If this was say a Grandmaster, I'd just use the built in drive. This needed a small boost as it only has 1 tube in the preamp and tonestack.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Congrats on the new cab. I actually just bought a 4x12 Mesa (Vintage 30 loaded) cab for $325 USD (shipped) off of GC used. Very happy with it and at that price I couldn't pass it up.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13