My ideal electric would have:
- the comfort and balance of a strat,
- the lighter weight of an SG,
- the tuning stability and playability of a PRS,
- tone like Bernie Marsden's '59 Les Paul "the beast",
- the clean tone (coil split maybe) of a tele.
- versatile controls.

Is there anything available that comes close?
Quote by stephenbgood
My ideal electric would have:
- the tuning stability and playability of a PRS,
- tone like Bernie Marsden's '59 Les Paul "the beast",
- the clean tone (coil split maybe) of a tele.
- versatile controls.

Is there anything available that comes close?

PRS Mira
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
sg's are light?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
^ I think they are when compared to any other guitar I own, my G400 is by far the lightest
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Washburn idol WI-64 has nice thin mahogany body set neck, Tune-O-Matic bridge, buzz fieten tuning, VCC let's you dial in full humbuckers or semi single coil sound.. It is an in between an LP and an SG.. If you can try playing a few. I own a Korean made flat black with distressed hardware. It has great sustain and notes ring out.

Here is a picture

Front - the original owner liked the relic'd look

Back - set neck mahogany body and neck

Closeup - VCC is voice contour control, essentially the tone dials in full humbuckers or single coil tone.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Jan 2, 2016,

Can you explain a bit on these? How light are we talking? What makes a Strat comfy to you?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I second what dannyalcatraz is asking, and I add.. Is it the body contours of stratocaster that makes it comfy? what neck shape are you aiming for (Soft 'V', 'C' shape, chunky thick or thin narrow neck)?

If you like a stratocaster shape guitar body, you can have one custom made.. Semi-hollow strat body with your choice of pickups and configuration, maple or rosewood fingerboard, quartersawn neck, vintage or modern locking tuners, FR or fulcrum bridge, brass/bone/graphtech TUSQ XL nut.. So many options, of course price goes up depending on the specs.. I would just buy the necessary parts and assemble it myself. The fun of makin a guitar that has my own personal taste and preferences is a great sense of accomplishment.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Sounds like you want a light Strat with humbuckers to me! (Seriously, there are some really light ones out there.)
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Ibanez S-series? Yeah, that could work.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ I think they are when compared to any other guitar I own, my G400 is by far the lightest

yeah my sg isn't necessarily my absolute lightest (i haven't weighed it), but it definitely feels like one of my lightest ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
New question: Does scale length matter to you?

Also, budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 2, 2016,
WTH...

I'll just start my suggestions by posting this, since this listing just popped up on my shopping radar: the Reverend Rick Vito signature (hardtail).
https://reverb.com/item/1365757-reverend-rick-vito-signature-2011-oceanside-green

They don't make the hardtails anymore- all of the new ones have Bigsbys on them. I have the black & cream version of the hardtail, and it's my favorite LPclone in my collection. Very versatile, and the korina body keeps it light.

This video is included in the Reverb listing- Rick demos his own guitar in his own style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v

This demo illustrates some of the more aggressive tones this guitar can put out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlDBbgJ-B-M&sns=em

This Reverend Rocco could also make you happy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201492581907?euid=686735e053904440ae4ff6f6d72e1848&aid=222007&meid=794235b918554eeaa78e10e645e953f4&cp=1&_trksid=p11002.c100350.m3745&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150112095354&meid=794235b918554eeaa78e10e645e953f4&pid=100350&rk=11&rkt=12&sd=331740553273&exe=13432&ext=34326&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

http://www.revfan.com/Reverend-Rocco.html

Demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsc7viWPbk&sns=em

Other Reverend guitars could be good options- if you see one you like, ask me.
http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 2, 2016,

HSH Strat comes pretty close. I have an HSS I like pretty well but it plays 2nd string to my off-the-shelf USA Tele. There is just something about a Tele that defies objective measurement and analysis.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by AcousticMirror
sg's are light?

I mean SG's are much lighter than LP's.
I already have a fairly decent LP copy and I'm looking for something with more versatile tones, lighter and more comfortable and of better quality.
Quote by Robbgnarly
PRS Mira

I guess you mean the early (pre-S2) PRS Mira. I need to look more closely. It's probably over my budget, which is around AU$2k.
In the meantime, the PRS S2 Mira Semi-Hollow looks pretty good, though I expect it to be neck-heavy.
Quote by psp742
Washburn idol WI-64 has nice thin mahogany body set neck, Tune-O-Matic bridge, buzz fieten tuning, VCC let's you dial in full humbuckers or semi single coil sound.. It is an in between an LP and an SG.. If you can try playing a few. I own a Korean made flat black with distressed hardware. It has great sustain and notes ring out.
Closeup - VCC is voice contour control, essentially the tone dials in full humbuckers or single coil tone.

Thanks, I'll look it up.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Can you explain a bit on these? How light are we talking? What makes a Strat comfy to you?

It seems that a lot of light guitars are neck-heavy. A strat seeks to overcome that with the long horn on the base side for improved balance.
I already have a heavy-ish LP copy and I want something with tummy-cut, bevelled edges and light weight.
Quote by psp742
I second what dannyalcatraz is asking, and I add.. Is it the body contours of stratocaster that makes it comfy? what neck shape are you aiming for (Soft 'V', 'C' shape, chunky thick or thin narrow neck)?

If you like a stratocaster shape guitar body, you can have one custom made.. Semi-hollow strat body with your choice of pickups and configuration, maple or rosewood fingerboard, quartersawn neck, vintage or modern locking tuners, FR or fulcrum bridge, brass/bone/graphtech TUSQ XL nut.. So many options, of course price goes up depending on the specs.. I would just buy the necessary parts and assemble it myself. The fun of makin a guitar that has my own personal taste and preferences is a great sense of accomplishment.

Thanks for some very good advice. Perhaps that's in my future but for now I need to try before I buy, because I don't yet know the answers to all those questions.
I like the strat body contours though I prefer a 3+3 headstock.
I am looking for tuning stability and simplicity, so will probably avoid a tremolo.
Quote by stephenbgood
I guess you mean the early (pre-S2) PRS Mira. I need to look more closely. It's probably over my budget, which is around AU$2k.
In the meantime, the PRS S2 Mira Semi-Hollow looks pretty good, though I expect it to be neck-heavy.

PRS guitars are known for their good balance
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by stephenbgood
Thanks Danny. I'll look into these.

Having learned you're in Australia, I'll retract Carvin as a recommendation. They're too expensive outside of the USA to be a good deal. If you see a used one, though, give it a hard look.

I'll also expand my recommendations on Reverend. While those 2 I linked to wouldn't be likely options because of your location- depending on those sellers' shipping policies- newer ones might fit your bill.

Revs are all made of korina, so they're relatively light. And they all have a Bass Contour knob, which does for lower frequencies what Tone knobs do for higher ones. That means you can get some singlecoil-ish tones out of non-singlecoils. And because it isn't a binary control like a coil-splitter, it works with any type of pickup and lets you dial in YOUR tone of choice.*

Given your expressed desires, I'd suggest the Reverend Sensei HB, Jetstream, Charger HB, Kingbolt, Warhawk 390 or Double Agent models. Others might work, but I think those may deliver the best combination of features for you.

* other companies have similar controls- Fret-King has a version of this called Vari-coil on some of their guitars.