Hi,

My name's Rob and I'm about to pull the trigger on my first decent amp. Been playing on the small SS that came with the guitar I learned on (Austin strat).

My main question is for advice on the cab. I considered going with the Blackstar 1x12 that is made for the head, but keep reading that they are made with particle board and a crappy speaker. I think I've narrowed it down to the Peavey 112-6 25w or the Orange PPC 112 60w. These both list that they are made of 18mm plywood and both come with a Celestion (Peavey-Greenback, Orange V30) I do like how the Peavey can be open or closed. I should say the I like to play mostly rock/hard/metal.

I had narrowed the amp head down to:

1. Blackstar HT-5r
2. Egnater Tweaker 15
3. Peavey 6505mh

All 3 are essentially the same price (6505 $100 more) and would give me what I was looking for some decent versatility, but mostly leaning toward a hard rock/metal sound. I've decided on the Blackstar because it's the lowset wattage and I only play at home, and it has reverb. I know the Peavey can be set to 20/5/1 watts and has reverb, but it seems like more of a straight metal amp. Correct me on that if I'm wrong, or any other amp head advice if you like.

My finger is itching to place this order! Lol I'm not loaded and this will be my rig for a while so I'm trying to get as close to perfect more my needs as I can while getting good quality. Thanks ahead of time.
could you list some examples of bands you play when you say rock/hard/metal (and later hard rock/metal sound)? that'll help us to narrow down what'd be best.

Also, if you're mainly erring towards heavier stuff, don't worry too much about the wattage if you're playing at home. even 5 watts cranked up will be way too loud, and heavier tones often benefit from the bigger bass etc. which comes from having more wattage on tap, especially since a lot of modern rock and metal tones are mainly preamp distortion anyway (which doesn't rely upon sheer volume to generate). i'm not saying that 100 watts will definitely be quiet enough, but if 100 watts are too loud, 5 watts probably will be too if you want to crank the thing (and even if not).

also the blackstar is hybrid, rather than all-tube, if you care about that.

what's your overall budget? and how quietly do you have to play if you play at home?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
When I say rock/hard rock, I mean mostly old school stuff like Cream, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc. and when I say metal, I mean anything from Metallica and Megadeth to more modern sound like Disturbed.

I'm not restricted to playing at super low volume, as I own my house. Trying to get the tone I seek without blowing out the wife and kids though. I like the info you put in your post. I don't have much knowledge on this subject and appreciate the info. I was thinking that the lower wattage Blackstar would breakup quicker. Also is it true that if I get a lower wattage head that I won't want a cab that is much higher wattage (e.g. 5 watt head & Orange 60 watt cab) because the breakup won't be as quick?

I'm not too concerned about it being hybrid. If I understand it correctly, it only uses SS diodes for clipping on the gain channel, whereas other "hybrid" amps uses more SS components.

My budget cap is probably about $800.
I looked at those just now. Even the V3m is 50 watts though. Way too much for my purposes.
You really need to look at the Krank 1980Jr 20 watt. really nice clean ch and a hotrod Marshall lead channel.
I have one and it covers all the bases you want and it is made in USA for $400
http://krankamps.com/20watt.html

And take a look at a G12h30 loaded cab. it has a old school flavor similar to a greenback but more modern like a V30 if it makes sense
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 2, 2016,
When I Google I don't find any for sale. I do see a Krank Rev Jr. 20w is that similar?
Quote by foochcky
When I Google I don't find any for sale. I do see a Krank Rev Jr. 20w is that similar?

You would have to order direct from the Krank website I linked.

The Rev Jr is more modern sounding than the 1980

Oh and if you buy new, you also get a lifetime warranty
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i own a v3m and it will do what you want. it goes down to 7 watts. i can tell you, wattage is more about response, headroom, and punch, not volume. there is negligible difference in volume between 7 and 50. go into a guitar center and test this on an egnater rebel series. the 1 watt setting is almost just as loud as max power.

the speaker / cab you use probably has a larger impact on volume. ANY tube amp will sound loud in a house. some tube amps, by design, play better at lower volumes.

that being said - couple things -

dont get the tweaker. i had a tweaker 40. nice little box and would be GREAT for indie / hipster rock, classic rock, black keys type stuff at teh hardest. they do a NICE crunch and a dirty clean that is beautiful!

tweaker struggle really hard past crunch. if you push them with pedals etc, you can hear it buzzing. its straining. the amp is just not built for it, not does it sound that great.

my v3m is by no means a high end metal amp, but its WAY better than the tweaker for hard stuff. leaps and bounds. for anything "Metal" avoid the tweaker.

secondly, if you are committed to a head / cab setup, a good cab is a solid investment that could potentially carry you for life / years. it may be wise to ante up for a good one. some of them are not THAT expensive, such as an avatar, which may be 350-400 ish loaded with a celestion speaker.

given that retail the speaker may be 150 bucks, not a bad value for a custom cab you design (colors, style, etc) and its solid birch wood, sturdy and road worthy. will not be an eye sore in your house.

for a 1x12 speaker setup, i would also recommend an eminence FDM speaker like the maverick or reginmaker. its 150 bucks which seems like a lot, but it attenuates overall volume about 9-10 DB at teh SEAPKER LEVEL, which is HUGE. this is WAY more meaningful that amp wattage. 9-10 DB is like the difference between a 5 watt mini amp and a 100 watt half stack...or...your neighbor calling the cops or your neighbor cant hear you. the speaker can also push up to 101 SPL, which bumps up volume about 3-4 DB. that is also huge, like jumping from a 50 watt to a 100 watt amp. for a small 1x12 setup, this can give you a bump up when playing with people or playing live.

having this at the speaker level is clean, no fuss, no parts.

if that wont fly with you, you can get one of these.

http://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/attenuators

cheap, will work well, but adds more stuff, cables, etc. probably doesnt matter at home but moving your stuff could be more complicated with extra parts etc. people also make the arguement that stuff in teh signal path affects tone in some ways. most attentuators do.

may push out of your budget, but stuff like this can make life as a guitarist sooo much better. i really wish i had a nice 1x12 with an FDM speaker....i am sitting next to my carvin 50 watt v3m and a 2x12 avatar cab and i love it!

but i barely play out, and live downtown in a cramped apartment. its totally totally overkill.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by foochcky
(a) When I say rock/hard rock, I mean mostly old school stuff like Cream, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc. and when I say metal, I mean anything from Metallica and Megadeth to more modern sound like Disturbed.

(b) I'm not restricted to playing at super low volume, as I own my house. Trying to get the tone I seek without blowing out the wife and kids though. (c) I like the info you put in your post. I don't have much knowledge on this subject and appreciate the info. (d) I was thinking that the lower wattage Blackstar would breakup quicker. (e) Also is it true that if I get a lower wattage head that I won't want a cab that is much higher wattage (e.g. 5 watt head & Orange 60 watt cab) because the breakup won't be as quick?

(f) I'm not too concerned about it being hybrid. If I understand it correctly, it only uses SS diodes for clipping on the gain channel, whereas other "hybrid" amps uses more SS components.

(g) My budget cap is probably about $800.

(a) Thanks. That's quite a range, so some speakers would be better for some of that stuff, and others for some of it. Which do you play more of- the more classic rock stuff or the heavier modern metal stuff?

(b) LOL no worries

(c) thanks

(d) It depends on the type of breakup you want. You'll get power tube distortion more easily (the kind of distortion you get from turning tube amps up full), but that's only useful for certain types of music (normally more vintage type stuff like classic rock etc.). For heavier stuff you generally want preamp distortion, which isn't reliant upon volume. It's also worth pointing out that to get to a volume level where even a 5 watter will break up for power tube distortion is normally still really, really loud, at least in a home situation. You're normally talking around 105dB with a half-decent guitar speaker.

(e) Nah I don't think that matters. I've read various articles where it's debatable if speaker distortion is even a thing. I wouldn't worry about it, get the speaker which suits the tone(s) you want. Some speakers might sound better at lower volumes than others, but much like with the amps, that's not really dependent on wattage, just the speaker design and tone.

(f) It has some solid state gain stages, and also a solid state phase inverter- it's not just clipping diodes. But it's also true that it's a lot more tube than those glorified solid state amps like the marshall avt, and it probably is tube in the places where it matters most. So it's basically a judgement call. It's about half-and-half, really. Maybe slightly more tube than solid state.

I haven't tried it, so

(g) thanks. I'm not so well up on USA pricing so I'll maybe let the others help with specific amp recommendations. but if you can answer some of those other questions I asked I can maybe help with the speaker thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?