Hello all - and a Happy new Year.

To kick off 2016 I have the last of the tracks I did in 2015 (I cant help living in the past!).

So........... its-all-just-noise productions proudly presents.....

The Imposter

Try as I might it appears I still cant mix for toffee - so please feel free to leave any and all comments/suggestions on the mix - evidently I could do with the help.

As always, I'm happy to go C4C with anyone who wants to leave a link behind.

Cheers
I just finished listening to Phallus Phungus right before this one. You have a knack for composition that keeps me interested throughout the entirety of the song, it never gets dull.

I can't give any mixing tips, but I thought the drums had a little more impact to them in this song compared to Phungus, which is good, all I could say is maybe the cymbals could be a tiny bit louder, and the kick drum have a little more punch to it, but overall a good sounding mix. The snare has more of a pop to it in this mix, which I like, and I thought the toms sound good

still got the bass, guitar, and vocals sound that I like!
This is the most evil thing I've heard in a while dude haha, pretty cool tune!

Mix-wise, maybe I'd increase the kick volume a little, like Hib3rnian said; other than that I think the mixing is perfectly fine.

Here's my song in case you want to C4C: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1694016
Whoa, very different style of music I've heard in a long time. A new take on the mixing would do the song a lot more justice, maybe more low end and more cymbals in the mix. During the "I am the imposter" bits I liked the lower vocal and the arrangement. The rest of the song though, is easily forgettable. For the rest of the song vocal-wise, I was not a fan. Feels like your going for that outer-space overlord type of feel with this song, which is good if that's your gimmick. Keep on writing and working on them mixing skills, will like to hear more, maybe something different.
Cool song man. I like how it kicks off with an old school death metal sound. Overall I think the guitars could stand to be louder. Other than that, the mix sounds good. I like the vocals and the production on them. I really like the "I am the imposter" part, it's really catchy and heavy. With a heavy, crushing mix, this would be even more awesome. I also really enjoyed the choir type vocals that were layered in. Good job man!
I thought the mix was pretty flat (you've addressed this). Some really nice riffs, it's definitely unique I've never heard vocals like that ever, I prefer the clean backing vocals more. Although you've done a great job here, this wouldn't be the kind of metal i'd listen to and it's hard to judge it objectively because I don't enjoy this kind of music. BUT it's captivating and everything in the track does sound good and is played well, even the minion-sounding vocals are to a high quality.
Keep doing what your doing man, we need more unique artists.
C4C?: This fucking floored me man, such a nice rhythm to it. Some seriously nice playing man, it's very clean and the tone isn't too gainy either. Maybe turn the bass up more in the mix, but that's just my opinion. 1:46 is probably my favourite part. I'd maybe tighten the ending up a bit. Overall though I really enjoyed it man, It wouldn't be the music i'd normally listen to but I was entertained for the duration of the song, Keep it up!
C4C?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33766198#post33766198
I think the guitars could be brought up some. The drums sound a bit overpowering. The vocal style is cool. It was an interesting song that I enjoyed listening to. I would have a hard time labeling this song as one specific genre
Thanks for the crit rabid. I think the style of mix works well enough with this style of old school death metal. The vocals have a novelty kind of charm to them. The riffs are catchy and interesting enough but id have liked to hear a frantic disjointed tremolo slayer esque solo in there . Overall I like it but it's not something id listen to on those psilocybin mushrooms or whatever mushrooms you have as your picture .
Quote by RabidBadger
Hello all - and a Happy new Year.

To kick off 2016 I have the last of the tracks I did in 2015 (I cant help living in the past!).

So........... its-all-just-noise productions proudly presents.....

The Imposter

Try as I might it appears I still cant mix for toffee - so please feel free to leave any and all comments/suggestions on the mix - evidently I could do with the help.

As always, I'm happy to go C4C with anyone who wants to leave a link behind.

Cheers

Well, that was unique to listen.

I like it. I think the voice is too evil as somebody all ready told you!
Maybe you could put another layer of voice sounding a bit more "normal". Because the way it is, it's almost cartoonish. It's like chipmunk, but in an evil way.

But i like the guitar riffs dude. Very nice.

Maybe random quantize a bit the drums? They are just so perfect because they are programmed to perfection.

I think you mix quite good. I can't mix shit. That sounds great for me.

https://soundcloud.com/hendrixspirit/delirios-sin-terminar-02

That's my metalish song any c2c would be nice, as i suck mixing. i really do,.
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Last edited by tiky at Jan 10, 2016,
Man what a catchy song! You are really good at writing catchy evil stuff. I actually enjoy the vocals a lot.

So overall the levels seem good. I can hear the bass, guitar, drums, and vocals all perfectly clear.

So the thing that helped me with mixing is EzMix2. I used it for the guitars and bass and it seemed to fatten it up quite nicely. The drums I sort of experimented on my own with the presets on Superior Drummer. It took several attempts of going back between my monitors and my speakers in my vehicle (my ears are more 'in tune' with my vehicle speakers so I get a way better idea of how the mixing sounds).

Anyway I wish I could give more specifics on frequencies but I am not an expert and learning to properly mix can take years of practice... that's why I got EzMix2 it just saved me a ton of hassle especially with the guitars which seem to be the hardest thing to get right tone wise.

I'm not sure whether or not you EQ each drum part separately but from what I understand, compression can add a lot of punch to them.

After listening a few more times I am finding the bass to be slightly overpowering the low end, I can only suggest taking it down a decibel or two and high passing around the 50hz level if you haven't already done so.

I probably wasn't very helpful but I really did enjoy the song and hope to see you improve on the mix cause it will sound killer and I think you can gain a fanbase just on your uniqueness alone.
Last edited by apothegm at Jan 11, 2016,