Can't really think of anywhere proper to ask this, so thought I may as well make an account on here.

Me and my girlfriend are moving in to a small 1-bedroom flat. The gas and electric is paid for via key.

I am currently working as a labourer, earning 325 pounds a week (1300 a month), plus I get about an extra 100 on top of that throughout the month.

It's been impossible to really find out anywhere decent figures. After 400 p/month rent, how much do you think I should be spending on gas, electricity, water rates?

Myself and my girlfriend already always bathe together as it's a great way to save water, we also rarely use the heating (Have been both living at my parents house for the last 6 months, my parents have been away for 3 now and are due back in the coming weeks), preferring to just add another layer.

She doesn't eat much, I eat the amount you'd expect a 19 year-old labourer to eat, quite a bit.

So what I'm asking I guess is, how much should I be looking to be paying for utilities? How much do you guys pay for gas, elec and water and how many are living in your house?

How much do you tend to spend a month/week on your food?

Cheers
Not sure what the deal is over in the UK, but usually both those bills together should be in the ballpark of $200-$300 CDN (whatever that is in pounds. Also note, that's a higher estimate, just to be safe).

If you both have jobs you shouldn't have a problem with bills with that kind of paycheck, unless you have vehicles. Those things are money sinks.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Jan 2, 2016,
Quote by naedauuf
Not sure what the deal is over in the UK, but usually both those bills together should be in the ballpark of $200-$300 CDN (whatever that is in pounds. Also note, that's a higher estimate, just to be safe).

If you both have jobs you shouldn't have a problem with bills with that kind of paycheck, unless you have vehicles. Those things are money sinks.

Cheers mate, yeah $300 CDN comes to 150 GBP, so even if I call that 200 GBP, I'm still left with 700 and the only essential after utilities is food, so that leaves a nice sensible bit to play around with. Cheers mate

Well I'm the only one working as she's currently doing a college/uni course, but she makes and sells clothes and jewellery, hence the extra 100 GBP throughout the month.
Quote by Owenlee55
Can't really think of anywhere proper to ask this, so thought I may as well make an account on here.

Me and my girlfriend are moving in to a small 1-bedroom flat. The gas and electric is paid for via key.

I am currently working as a labourer, earning 325 pounds a week (1300 a month), plus I get about an extra 100 on top of that throughout the month.

It's been impossible to really find out anywhere decent figures. After 400 p/month rent, how much do you think I should be spending on gas, electricity, water rates?

Myself and my girlfriend already always bathe together as it's a great way to save water, we also rarely use the heating (Have been both living at my parents house for the last 6 months, my parents have been away for 3 now and are due back in the coming weeks), preferring to just add another layer.

She doesn't eat much, I eat the amount you'd expect a 19 year-old labourer to eat, quite a bit.

So what I'm asking I guess is, how much should I be looking to be paying for utilities? How much do you guys pay for gas, elec and water and how many are living in your house?

How much do you tend to spend a month/week on your food?

Cheers

You can't really get a solid answer because it depends on how much you use, what your local rates are, the size of the house, what appliances you have, etc.

But since you asked, I live with two roommates who are barely here and we pay roughly 200 USD for gas, electric, and internet. Two of us cook, we never run the heat, and we maybe watch TV once a week. Water and trash is covered for us.

EDIT: You're going to be paying the bills for her?

Sketch. She should get a job.
Last edited by TheChaz at Jan 2, 2016,
I read something somewhere about 30-40% of your income should be what you spend on housing.

My rent is hella cheap, but somehow I'm still poor all the time.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by TheChaz
You can't really get a solid answer because it depends on how much you use, what your local rates are, the size of the house, what appliances you have, etc.

But since you asked, I live with two roommates who are barely here and we pay roughly 200 USD for gas, electric, and internet. Two of us cook, we never run the heat, and we maybe watch TV once a week. Water and trash is covered for us.

EDIT: You're going to be paying the bills for her?

Sketch. She should get a job.

Yeah nah exactly, just there's not really any way to get a solid answer until you start paying the bills haha.

Fair, that's bugger all aye. Appliances would be limited, TV would be probably just to act as something to watch movies on, so no TV license.

Most of the bills, she's got savings which she's going to be putting towards the place. She's only got a few months left of her course anyhow, and she'll definitely be getting a job then haha.

Quote by snipelfritz
I read something somewhere about 30-40% of your income should be what you spend on housing.

My rent is hella cheap, but somehow I'm still poor all the time.

Fair, what do you pay and what have you got?

Fair, still leaves me with plenty to play with.
The only bills I pay are gas/trash/internet. I installed a 4K solar power system when I bought my house. The electric company pays me.
How the fuck are you only 19?
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
My GF and I pay around £800/year for gas and electricity. Water is £480/year. Don't forget council tax.

Food in Aldi is around £50/week. More if we are getting toiletries... better off going to poundland/wilkinsons/bargain buys for those.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by Nero Galon
How the fuck are you only 19?

Eh? What you mean by that?

Quote by Blayney
My GF and I pay around £800/year for gas and electricity. Water is £480/year. Don't forget council tax.

Food in Aldi is around £50/week. More if we are getting toiletries... better off going to poundland/wilkinsons/bargain buys for those.

Alright, so let's say 800 + 500 + 1000 + 2430 = 4410

4410 / 12 = 367 p/month (Call it 450 to be safe)

Still leaves me with 350 floating about at the end of a months expenditures, and I was being conservative with all my calculations. Me and my girlfriend already do quite a bit of skip-diving (My town's great for it) so food prices would be cheaper than most peoples, and like I said we bathe together and bathe rarely (Twice a week, 3 times at most) so that also brings water down.
yooo, 21 year old student flatting in new zealand paying $180/week on rent, and then bills and groceries on top. fucking broke. I live in city central though so I guess there's that.
Quote by chaoticfables
yooo, 21 year old student flatting in new zealand paying $180/week on rent, and then bills and groceries on top. fucking broke. I live in city central though so I guess there's that.

Fair, I'm in a rural town, earning 325 GBP (700 NZD) a week, but the cost of living is much cheaper here.
Quote by Owenlee55
Fair, what do you pay and what have you got?

Fair, still leaves me with plenty to play with.

I don't know exactly how things translate considering I'm in Murrca and all.

Roomie and I pay $575 a month (together) for 2 bedroom apartment in a pretty good part of the city. Apartment is kinda old and drafty, but we have a lot of living space. Then we split utilities (gas and electricity) which is like $65-80 a month for each of us (more in the winter).

Speaking of all of this, I need to get around to putting some plastic over my windows. That saved some heat last year.

I've considered getting a one bedroom for myself, but I'd like to stay in this neighborhood which would mean paying at least $550 for anything other than a tiny studio.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
I don't know exactly how things translate considering I'm in Murrca and all.

Roomie and I pay $575 a month (together) for 2 bedroom apartment in a pretty good part of the city. Apartment is kinda old and drafty, but we have a lot of living space. Then we split utilities (gas and electricity) which is like $65-80 a month for each of us (more in the winter).

Speaking of all of this, I need to get around to putting some plastic over my windows. That saved some heat last year.

I've considered getting a one bedroom for myself, but I'd like to stay in this neighborhood which would mean paying at least $550 for anything other than a tiny studio.

Fair, yeah obviously energy rates differ, but I can't imagine massively so. And what you're saying, mine would be less as it's a 1-bedroom with good energy efficiency rating, which would still leave me with a nice bit floating.

Cheers
My (me and fiancee) water is included in the rent We pay €20 a month for electricity. Anything from €350 - €500 a month on food

This doesnt help cause I'm in Finland but whatever
Quote by sam b
My (me and fiancee) water is included in the rent We pay €20 a month for electricity. Anything from €350 - €500 a month on food

This doesnt help cause I'm in Finland but whatever

Fair, cheers, yeah seems a lot of information's coming from foreign countries but still, it all helps to some degree.
I live alone in a studio. Utilities other than cable/internet/landline are included in my rent.

I spend an average of $20 a week on groceries and allocate an extra $10-20 to eating out, though I don't do it every week. I don't eat meat at home which cuts down on my costs a lot. I don't have cheap groceries near me either so if I did I bet I would save even more.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
I live alone in a studio. Utilities other than cable/internet/landline are included in my rent.

I spend an average of $20 a week on groceries and allocate an extra $10-20 to eating out, though I don't do it every week. I don't eat meat at home which cuts down on my costs a lot. I don't have cheap groceries near me either so if I did I bet I would save even more.

Fair, yeah we're both vegetarian (Unless we find a good bit of meat in a skip, but that's rare) so that will cut down on costs. We wouldn't be eating out, not even once every 2/3 months, either.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You need to split those bills. Unaffordable on one salary.

Why's this? All calculations of hypothetical costs come to me being left with a nice bit of disposable cash at the end of each month. Don't know if you're USA/UK or what, but 1300 GBP a month is best part of $2000 USD.

Just read, and I imagine your location is UK by what you've got written, but still, all hypotheticals point to it being OK. Also already have money put back from my job, and the first 2 months of rent will be covered by the girlfriends savings so I'll have extra time to save more money there.
Last edited by Owenlee55 at Jan 2, 2016,
Quote by Owenlee55
Fair, yeah we're both vegetarian (Unless we find a good bit of meat in a skip, but that's rare) so that will cut down on costs. We wouldn't be eating out, not even once every 2/3 months, either.

Why's this? All calculations of hypothetical costs come to me being left with a nice bit of disposable cash at the end of each month. Don't know if you're USA/UK or what, but 1300 GBP a month is best part of $2000 USD.

Just read, and I imagine your location is UK by what you've got written, but still, all hypotheticals point to it being OK. Also already have money put back from my job, and the first 2 months of rent will be covered by the girlfriends savings so I'll have extra time to save more money there.

I'm in the uk. When I used to earn 1300 post tax I could only afford half of 650 rent. I only pay 400 rent now because I earn 1500 post tax. You need that extra buffer for emergency expenses.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'm in the uk. When I used to earn 1300 post tax I could only afford half of 650 rent. I only pay 400 rent now because I earn 1500 post tax. You need that extra buffer for emergency expenses.

What were emergency expenses you came across?

And fair, what were you spending p/month on stuff like food?

Were you paying for a TV license? What council tax band were you? did you also pay for a contract phone?
Food and utilities will vary greatly depending on where you live, climate, and who is doing the eating. As I recall OZ gets hit pretty hard on everything.

In SoCal our utilities run about $200/mo including elect, gas, water, internet. Groceries $500/mo (we eat pretty well), phones $100/mo for 2 people.

Most planners suggest 30% of take home pay for housing expense, 10% for personal savings, 10% for charity. That leaves 50% of THP for transportation and lifestyle.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 2, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Food and utilities will vary greatly depending on where you live, climate, and who is doing the eating. As I recall OZ gets hit pretty hard on everything.

In SoCal our utilities run about $200/mo including elect, gas, water, internet. Groceries $500/mo (we eat pretty well), phones $100/mo for 2 people.

I'm in the UK, just haven't changed my location since I moved haha. Fair, I rarely use my phone.

With this we've got 200 + 500 + 590 (My rent in USD) + 100 = about 350 GBP (Again being very conservative), and I know we wouldn't spent the equivalent of $500 on food a month, and definitely not the equivalent of $100 a month on phones.
Quote by Owenlee55
What were emergency expenses you came across?

And fair, what were you spending p/month on stuff like food?

Were you paying for a TV license? What council tax band were you? did you also pay for a contract phone?

Car expenses and stuff. Needing new clothes.

I eat veggie so spend barely anything on food. Cheap contract because I am sim only. Don't know the council tax band but I think it's around £150 a month.
Quote by Blayney
How are you commuting?

The place I'm living is a 5-minute walk from the site we're working on until April. Once we're finished at the current site, the next job we've got lined up lads without transport just get picked up by the boss in a van. So commuting for work is free.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Car expenses and stuff. Needing new clothes.

I eat veggie so spend barely anything on food. Cheap contract because I am sim only. Don't know the council tax band but I think it's around £150 a month.

Fair that's one of the more expensive council tax bands then. Yeah we eat veggie + some of our food's free (Skip-diving), and yeah my contract at the moment is…13 GBP for unlimited texts and maybe 100 minutes call-time?

I only use my phone to text my boss really.
These are pretty good guidelines for living in the USA and keep your head above water. Other countries will vary.

http://www.leavedebtbehind.com/frugal-living/budgeting/10-recommended-category-percentages-for-your-family-budget/
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Owenlee55
Fair that's one of the more expensive council tax bands then. Yeah we eat veggie + some of our food's free (Skip-diving), and yeah my contract at the moment is…13 GBP for unlimited texts and maybe 100 minutes call-time?

I only use my phone to text my boss really.

Well I don't know your situation but you kind of sound defensive about the money situation, like you can't afford it. If you are splitting all your expenses 50/50 it'll be less of a stress to you.
Got a decent sized rent house with a garage for $500. Water is included. I pay electric which is usually like $115, depending on how cold I get and how much I use the oven. I then have a car payment, car insurance, a loan payment from the bank, a student loan payment, and a cell phone/internet bill.

I probably spend like $50 a week on food and other basic household stuff (paper towels, deodorant, body wash, etc), not including eating out. I usually run pretty close paycheck to paycheck, maybe have a couple hundred left over if I play my cards right and have no unexpected expenses, but usually I have to spend more than I plan on.
Last edited by bradulator at Jan 2, 2016,
Quote by guitarxo

Damn, I wish I could eat that cheap.
Quote by Owenlee55
Eh? What you mean by that?

I mean it as a positive that you're doing so much at such a young age so far from home.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I live alone in a town house. I pay $260AUD a week in rent.

My gas bill every 3 months comes to about $75AUD, and my power is about $200AUD.

I've rented by myself in a few different places, so if you've got questions, fire away
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Jan 2, 2016,
My family rents but our situation is vastly different from yours. If you would still like me to answer questions, I can try to get some information for you.
Free Ali
Free Lard
What sort of place is it you're renting? I used to live in a bedsit for £400 a month, council tax and water included. All i had to pay was electric on a meter. Did that on less money than you're on and food-shopping for two is way more cost-effective than for one.

Whenever I've had a key meter for electric it's been around 30-40 a month and that wasn't being particularly conservative with jt either. You should be fine, as long as you have a Co-op orbsomething nearby incase you get caught short. Don't drive if tou can get away with it, use Aldi and Lidl, don't take the piss with the electric. You sound like you already know how to live cheap anyway.
Quote by mattedbird
Damn, I wish I could eat that cheap.

It helps that I don't eat a lot

But I eat really simple meals and cook nearly everything from scratch. I also do some couponing.

In addition, many of my meals are asian dishes, and I bought all my dry ingredients and spices for those in bulk from an Indian grocery about 6 months ago. The only things I need to buy regularly are eggs, milk, rice and fruit/veg.
cat
you can get an estimate for utilites based on the previous occupent that will give you an idea of that cost. dude you are a labourer but only bath 2 times a week? really? hope your co-workers are all down wind .
Keep in mind that if you don't have any other form of financial support, such as parents, then you have to earn more each month than just your bills/food, in case of emergencies.

When I first moved into my apartment, I thought I had everything on lock down. Had enough for my bills, food, entertainment, etc. but then I would just blow my extra cash at the end of the month. Then my car broke down and I had to borrow over $1000 to fix it so I could keep going to work, which I'm still paying off.