So I'm back into the new year with a new writing partner and have decided to upload this video of me and him playing through our new song we threw together and recorded in just a few hours. It's a metal song and oh well, see for yourself. Hope to hear all your comments and commenting on your stuff as well \m/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kunjyNGazBY
Last edited by 13Trivium13 at Jan 4, 2016,
Hello there.

This has a nice chugga chugga to it. I enjoyed the track for the most part. The only thing is - it sounded like the guitars were a little out of tune at times. Odd because it sounded ok for the most part - maybe it was just one string - or am I being a tool and missing the point of a particular set of harmonies?

Anyway, the slow end section sounded very fat - the head banging is obligatory at that point. Very nice solo work - shred tastic. I really like the slightly "wet farty" sounding toms on the drum track - nice and slappy for a heavy feel.

Nice work.

If you fancy the C4C - my latest track is here

Cheers
Thanks for the comment. I will agree that the guitars sometimes sound out of tune. Maybe lack of attention to tuning the guitars and just the intonation of the guitars itself. Heavy picking on a few powerchords might be the suspect as well. We each did 3 full takes of the song and recorded each video with a DI, so its as raw and unedited as you get. So basically re-amped in Reaper with Revalver 4, the same for bass, and used Toontrack's Metal Machine expansion. Just a very rough mix.
Hi Trivium, thanks for the feedback on my track

As stated above, this is very head-bangy. Very heavy track with loads of layers to it and loads of interplay between the guitar. As for a criticism, all I can say is it seems a little formulaic for the most part, but the outro part with the solo was a pleasant surprise and a great way to end it.
This is really awesome, the solos are great. Your partner has sweeping skills I envy, it reminds me that I need to work and clean up on mine more. The song flows really well from riff to riff. Outro solo fade outs are always awesome. The riff at 2:25 is awesome I love those kinds of riffs. Nothing really stands out to me that you could work on, you guys play well together.

C4C here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1693721
I'm not a big sucker for metal, but It was a pleasant listen
you managed to play fast and be melodic something that doesn't happen everyday
the guy on the left seems a bit out of tune.. the sweep picking at around 1:15+ isn't perfect I mean It's either a bit out of time or doesn't fit well on the song but I doubt I could do better than that.. Besides you mention you did it in 4 takes so that's a very good result
Both of you have great playing skills and seem to know the instrument very well

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1693517
C4C please
@Serotionite
Yes, definitely head-bangy. Improvising has indeed become very formulaic to me as I reach for certain notes and progressions/variations quite a lot. We were stuck on how to end it so I just said fuck it, let's do an outro solo fade out so it feels like he's even shredding after the silence. They say he's still going at it.

@FourFourforever
Yeah, them fade outs always work. Didn't have something like that in my previous work so it was something new for a change. I also envy his ability to play lead guitar. I'm just a rhythm guitarist by heart. Most of the people I know who I played this to pointed out that they liked the riff at 2:25 . Seems to get good commentary all the time. I've only jammed with him a few hours one day before we did this so there's still a lot of stuff to focus on

@Joao1993
We each did 3 full takes and chose the best one. No cuts, no edits, what you see is what you hear. The dude on the left (me, the guy with the shitty Jackson Kelly) had to use some tuning peg magic to reach that lower note on parts of the outro. That string never got retuned sometimes by mistake, pressed for time, lack of attention etc. As for improvising, perfectness is sometimes just a bonus. In no way intended for the 100% perfect achievement on Google Play. Still want to reach the 100% fabulous hair achievement though...
Last edited by 13Trivium13 at Jan 4, 2016,
2:50 is my favorite part, that heavy ass riff is just phenomenal. I think the solo over it could be better structured like more around 3:25, that sounds loads better than random sweeping.

I'm not gonna harp too much on the technical parts, the dude can obviously play well (and is actually very similar to my style!).

So those are my first strong initial thoughts... I'm guessing you are not concerned as much with the recording quality but more about the song itself and if it kicks ass. I will now listen again and give some bullet points:

-The first riff reminds me of something ... or a general style... I dunno but it is cool.

-The harmony after it is really cool. As they say, less is more.

-Then the solo kicks in, really cool. That is a great lead in for the solo and I like how it goes into double time and back to half time with the sweeping (he could refine that sweeping section to fit better overall but it's a great idea to start with).

-Nice groovy harmony riff after that.

The tapping stuff could use a little flair.. something besides the generic 3 note hammer-on/pull-off deal, I'm sure you can come up with something way cooler!

The riff at 2:25 is awesome, reminds me of some Dethklok.

Got some good stuff there, some refinement can be done to make the overall song flow better but that's being nit-picky. There's actually not much I can find about the song I dislike so keep it up.

And of course I'd appreciate some feedback for the c4c https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33759902#post33759902
@apothegm
Yeah man, that part at 2:50 just feels so fun to play. Would sound huge on the pro takes for the real song after it's mixed. Going on to the tapping part, I've really come to like for what it is. Some people have described it as like you're being chased down a hallway, so I'm liking that story. I've watched Metalocalypse and listened to Dethalbum III quite a lot a few years ago, but I doubt the influence is embedded into my playing nowadays. It's still a comment which I like \m/ I know mixing-wise commentary will burn me, but go ahead I guess. I did it was a very rough mix. Something about the rawness just did it for me. Didn't want to hide behind all that processing since the video wasn't that much after all. A "pro" project of the song is still on the books so I would rather focus my mixing on that. Been mostly into the powerful in-your-face rock mixing style and going back to metal mixing was quite of a shift. For my full mixes, I seem to be stuck between those two nowadays.
13Triv,
Sounds pretty powerful at the start. Nice melodies throughout. Most of it is pretty tight. Nice lead guitar overall by both players. Drums are good, though I think they are clipping at times. I liked the quick tuning peg pitch bend towards the end. That was entertaining. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33759558#post33759558
Quote by 13Trivium13
@apothegm
Yeah man, that part at 2:50 just feels so fun to play. Would sound huge on the pro takes for the real song after it's mixed. Going on to the tapping part, I've really come to like for what it is. Some people have described it as like you're being chased down a hallway, so I'm liking that story. I've watched Metalocalypse and listened to Dethalbum III quite a lot a few years ago, but I doubt the influence is embedded into my playing nowadays. It's still a comment which I like \m/ I know mixing-wise commentary will burn me, but go ahead I guess. I did it was a very rough mix. Something about the rawness just did it for me. Didn't want to hide behind all that processing since the video wasn't that much after all. A "pro" project of the song is still on the books so I would rather focus my mixing on that. Been mostly into the powerful in-your-face rock mixing style and going back to metal mixing was quite of a shift. For my full mixes, I seem to be stuck between those two nowadays.

Yea man I totally get the "live raw feeling" as it is reminiscent of Arch Enemy's "Burning Bridges" album. So I mean I don't really have any critique for that style you are going for since with what I do is mostly focused on a good quality production sound. I think there are others out there with more knowledge that can give better advice on that aspect.

I understand your perspective with the tapping and I was just going to edit my post complimenting the harmonized parts in the tapping, it really adds to it.

You seem to be very much on the same page as me musically so I wouldn't mind keeping in contact with you for future critiques or advice.
Sick tones man, the harmonies are pretty cool too. The solos are where this shines though, they're tight and interesting, there are some really nice licks there. The drums sound a bit robotic at parts but it's a nice piece and i'd be interested in hearing the result if you choose to turn it into a fully fledged song. Overall great work, it's some of the best playing i've seen on this site and thanks for not using too gainy a tone!
C4C?: This fucking floored me man, such a nice rhythm to it. Some seriously nice playing man, it's very clean and the tone isn't too gainy either. Maybe turn the bass up more in the mix, but that's just my opinion. 1:46 is probably my favourite part. I'd maybe tighten the ending up a bit. Overall though I really enjoyed it man, It wouldn't be the music i'd normally listen to but I was entertained for the duration of the song, Keep it up!
C4C?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33766198#post33766198