How long is your limit while waiting for a table at a restaurant?

Also, if you are waiting, when is the point you've waited too long to give up?
How hungry are you?

I'm normally pretty patient, so it's not a big deal for me.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Depends on how hungry I am and how much I want to eat at that specific place. The longest I've waited is 5 hours but i planned for it so I brought snacks to eat while I was waiting. I wouldn't do that if I just happened to walk by some place and they said it would take 5 hours.
cat
I'll generally give the wait staff 15-20 seconds before I start foaming at the mouth and swearing like a sailor.
Too vague.

The second part is 100% sinkhole fallacy.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Fifteen minutes if it's Saturday brunch. But in general I don't ever wait for tables. If a restaurant isn't good enough to take reservations it's probably not worth eating there.
Why do I get the feeling this thread was started because ts is waiting somewhere for a table.

Odds are also that he doesn't want to wait and he's looking for strangers on the internet to confirm his distaste.
You mean you don't believe that this is a great thread topic?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by snipelfritz
Why do I get the feeling this thread was started because ts is waiting somewhere for a table.

Odds are also that he doesn't want to wait and he's looking for strangers on the internet to confirm his distaste.

You are completely correct
depends on the restaurant, im not waiting one second for some shitty swiss chalet or franchised place or something like that but i'll wait a pretty long time if it's an actual restaurant with an original menu by a good chef
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by theogonia777
You mean you don't believe that this is a great thread topic?

I never said that.

Quote by jacksonw94
You are completely correct

Nice.
Would you go steal food off someone else's table if you were really hungry?
I have never waited. Always reserved a place or went to a restaurant that wasn't full.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
depends how hungry i am.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Sometimes you get those coasters that light up and vibrate when your table is ready. That's exciting.
Quote by snipelfritz
Sometimes you get those coasters that light up and vibrate when your table is ready. That's exciting.

i was just thinking about those things.

worth waiting just to be able to get one.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I only go to places that have waiting times for tables if I'm with another person(s) on special occasions. So I'll wait however long others want to wait because I figure they chose these places for their reasons.

I'd get a bit annoyed at the fact that they didn't make reservations, though, but I'll just nip into a nearby store and have a look around.
Quote by guitarxo
Depends on how hungry I am and how much I want to eat at that specific place. The longest I've waited is 5 hours but i planned for it so I brought snacks to eat while I was waiting. I wouldn't do that if I just happened to walk by some place and they said it would take 5 hours.

Lol at the fact you actually anticipated an interim of time long enough for in-between meals so you brought snacks so you could wait to eat.
Free Ali
Free Lard
if they say there's a five minutes wait I'll hang around if there's no better option
if they say there's a 45 minute wait, I'll go to some shops/have a drink or two then come back
if there's no better option
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by theogonia777
Too vague.

Do you mean "sunk cost?" If not, what is the "sinkhole fallacy?"
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by theogonia777
Too vague.

It's interesting because the (sunk cost) fallacy goes both ways:
1)"I've already waited X minutes, I'll keep waiting at this table so those minutes don't go to waste"
2)"I've wasted X minutes waiting, thus I'm getting my food faster if I go to another restaurant"

Case #1 is what you are describing, making the cost the time you've already waited. Yes, this is a sunk cost and shouldn't be part of your decision. However, case #2, which seems like the "rational" response to case #1 is a fallacy too. The cost here is the time you are going to wait until you are eating your food. The time you've wasted until right now has no bearing on the time you have to wait from now on to get your food (in both cases the "sunk cost" is the time you've wasted)

For example, if you've already waited 2 hours at a restaurant table for your food, should you leave or not? If you say "yes", then what if the food is coming up in 2 minutes? By leaving you have to go to another restaurant and maybe waste (in total) like 20m, while if you had just stayed you would have been eating your food in just 2m. The correct decision is clearly to stay.

The "instinct" of staying at the table, even when you are angry about said wait comes from the fact that the more you wait, the less time remaining until your food comes out there is. That cost is reduced the more you keep waiting.

For example, if restaurant A spends 30m to prepare your food, but restaurant B spends only 15m, then if you are between 0m and 15m waiting at restaurant A it makes sense to switch to restaurant B, where you'll wait only 15m more instead of, say, 25m more (by staying at restaurant A). However, if you've already waited 20m at a table in restaurant A, then the best option is to keep waiting, since you'd only wait 10m more for your food instead of 15m (if you had 'given up' and gone to restaurant B instead).

When you are going out to eat it's not really feasible for you to know any of these numbers with any kind of certainty, either for restaurant A or B so in reality there is no "rational" decision to make. If you keep waiting you may have to wait 2 more hours, or maybe just 2 more minutes. You don't know.
The best heuristic you have is assuming that these restaurants work in similar ways and thus have similar waiting times (minus/plus some arbitrary time), look at your surroundings (e.g if the current restaurant is crowded, if the other restaurant is not, etc), know the food you ordered (if you ordered something that takes a long time to cook, it would take time at another restaurant too), and make your choice using this info.
The other option is to use an arbitrary maximum time for you to switch restaurants and when you've waited that long just go somewhere else, no matter how much time there is left for your food to be served.
That's why I eat at a restaurant that can get me in straight away, or I ring ahead and book a time

Not many restaurants in Australia will book more than one sitting each evening, so "waiting for a table" isn't really a common thing here
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by chrismendiola

Lol at the fact you actually anticipated an interim of time long enough for in-between meals so you brought snacks so you could wait to eat.

Yeah I actually do it pretty often. I know what food I want to eat when I go out so unless I don't have a preference, which is rare, I'm willing to wait. It doesn't have anything to do with how hungry I am or whether it's a mealtime.

This particular instance was for a well-known dim sum restaurant a few weeks after it opened.

Last week I waited a couple hours for my brunch but i didn't research before going so I didn't realize that it would take a long time. I just got a couple hashbrowns and went shopping until the time they said they'd have a table ready so no probs.
cat
Depends on the restaurant and the number of people I'm with really. If I'm just fucking around with a few friends and time isn't a factor then it could be a good amount of time.
Quote by snipelfritz
Would you go steal food off someone else's table if you were really hungry?

Who wouldn't?