Hey there folks,

I'm having a problem with the locking nut clamp screws on my Ibanez Jem (Japanese Copy).
The middle section can be screwed, but the left section and right section can't be screwed all the way, so the clamps aren't locking the strings, which causes detuning when I use my Floyd Rose bridge...

Any clues on what to do?

The screws aren't stripped, I've used a little bit of Teflon tape, didn't change anything.
I've used screws from a new locking nut kit I bought a month ago, didn't work...

Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks!

-Rockin'Brony
Has the guitar always had this problem?

It could be caused by a number of things. Either the locking nut bolts are too long, the locking plates are too thin, or the locking nut itself isn't tall enough to accommodate the locking nut bolts.

Can you actually show pics of the locking nut removed from the guitar and the parts of the locking nut disassembled? The cause of the problem will be a lot easier to find that way.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
upload pics to photobucket.com or something similar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
might not be the screws that are threaded, it could be the hole that has no thread.

I concur with T00DEEPBLUE, we will need to see it all taken apart for us to really be able to help you.

not sure if it's the angle of the picture or actually the case but the clamp on your lower strings (left side) looks chunkier than the one on the higher strings (right side) - swap them round, given the higher strings are thinner they would need a thicker clamp to push them all the way down.

the problem may well be something deeper than that, but play around with combinations of clamp/screw/position first and see if that works, if it does, great, if not, get back to us. might as well try the cheaper option first then work your way up.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Does it just keep turning or is it bottoming out?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Rockin'Brony
Alright, so here's the picture...
I would show you all the pieces alone but I just installed the strings and it's soooo long to install I don't want to re-install them again.

But I can show you the nut, and the clamp (Side view) tho.

Here's the overall view here.
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq7/Olivier_Parent/Locking_zpse60yam09.png

The picture you've taken isn't very helpful, I'm afraid.

Just slacken the strings off and remove the locking nut. Big deal. You get used to re-tuning a Floyd Rose bridge because you have to do it so many times when you need to adjust the intonation anyway.

Is the guitar in question a real Ibanez JEM or a Chinese counterfeit? Because if it is, then that would explain everything. The hardware on the fakes is the cheapest, nastiest rubbish money can buy. I'd replace the locking nut and while I'm at it, block off the entire bridge and just use it as a hardtail because such shit trems are not worth the grief and the guitar is not worth putting that amount of money into.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
To Dempsey68,
I believe that the holes don't have any threads because when I tried doing what you told me, I noticed that I could push the screw all the way down and it reached the bottom. I looked up closely, and there isn't seem to be any threads at all!

To Cathbard,
It keeps turning, but the first answer might be the reason why it keeps turning.

To T00DEEPBLUE,
It's a Japanese copy, so I don't know if it counts for a Chinese counterfeit or now, but it's a Japanese copy (Well, that's what the guy who sold it to me told me, but he seemed trustable because he said he has had real and Chinese JEMs)

Thanks to you all for your quick replies!
But now, what do I do?
Make some threads in the holes?
You've stripped the thread in the nut. Replace the nut.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Rockin'Brony
To Dempsey68,
I believe that the holes don't have any threads because when I tried doing what you told me, I noticed that I could push the screw all the way down and it reached the bottom. I looked up closely, and there isn't seem to be any threads at all!

You've stripped the locking nut. Buy a new one.
Quote by TheSennaj
If you just buy another knockoff it will happen again. Look for something decent like Schaller or Gotoh.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would, but these models don't fit my guitar.
The model I linked is the only model that fits mine.
The closest size to what you need that isn't going to be a piece of shit that'll just strip like the old one did is a Schaller R3.
Quote by TheSennaj
http://s428.photobucket.com/user/Olivier_Parent/slideshow/Locking%20Nut?sort=9

So, in order (Picture order);
1- This is the locking nut I bought
2- This is the one that I currently use
3- The 2 of 'em compared
4 to 8- The missing threads
9 & 10- There are deeper holes on the sides than in the middle... Is that a problem?
11- The locking nut I bought if put right
12- The same locking nut if I want it to fit...
13 & 14- If I remove the 2 screw that makes the locking nut not fit, will the strings' tension and pressure be enough to keep it in place?