Last week I was talkin shit after my friend made dinner and they all turned on me and said ok if you think it's so easy why don't you try cooking?

I took up on the challenge and attempted to make pan roasted chicken breast tonight...followed this video to the T:

As stated in the video.... some olive oil on med high with skin side down for about 5 minutes...

By minute 4-5 the goddamn thing was BURNT!!!! And then he said to turn it over, bring it down to medium, and then cook it through. The other side burnt too while the center wasn't cooked through yet. It was burnt and dry!! I feel so betrayed...

How the fuck do you make pan roasted chicken that's crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside? So fuckin bummed right now

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jan 3, 2016,
What a loser.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Last week I was talkin shit after my friend made dinner and they all turned on me and said ok if you think it's so easy why don't you try cooking?

I took up on the challenge and attempted to make pan roasted chicken tonight...followed this video to the T:

As stated in the video.... some olive oil on med high with skin side down for about 5 minutes...

By minute 4-5 the goddamn thing was BURNT!!!! And then he said to turn it over, bring it down to medium, and then cook it through. The other side burnt too while the center wasn't cooked through yet. It was burnt and dry!! I feel so betrayed...

How the fuck do you make pan roasted chicken that's crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside? So fuckin bummed right now

cook the outsides in a pan on high and then bake it!
Xbox Live: DeSquared94
PSN: desquared94
I had to cook it on an electric stove I wonder if that contributed to the fail...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
remove any bones cuz they'll fuck it up step 1

make sure you aint finna try cooking up some thick ass chunk either gotta make sure it cooks all the way which cam be tricky if presentation isnt an issue just slice a couple of slits into it so the inside cooks faster

good idea to let it marinade over night in olive oil instead of dousing the pan in it so you don't end up with a mess on your hands

after the initial searing turn it down (should never be above medium tbh) and make sure you keep an eye on the bottom so it's not crisping up too much

and ya patience

ive fried so many chicken breasts in my life it's like one of the only things im any good at anymore lol

Quote by MinterMan22

after the initial searing turn it down (should never be above medium tbh)

wow...

so chef john lied to me!!! my faith is shooken

thanks for the tips tho..

btw wouldnt cutting slits let all the juices run out??

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
No idea, but that looks scrumptious
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
No idea, but that looks scrumptious

I made the waldorf salad too... that came out pretty gud since there was nothing for me to burn

made garlic mash to go with the chicken so.... 2/3

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

You fry up the skin until crispy, then you turn the flame right down (so that it's not touching the pan), put a lid on it but leave one side open to let some steam out. Then you cook the chicken for a while (a long while) using the risidual heat from the pan. Meat will cook at around 88C - 90ish C so as long as you leave it in long enough for the heat to penetrate to the core. It should be quite juicy and tender but the skin might not be crispy, but I guess you could heat up some oil afterwards and just fry the skin again.
Quote by Xiaoxi
wow...

shit my bad lol only slits on one side a little less than halfway through before you cook and try to sear the other side first before you flip it so everything doesnt run out instantly. it's kind of a dumb/bushleague technique in all honesty but it makes it less of a stressful task in the end and frying chicken can be rough the first couple of times (turn on your hood and don't wear nice clothes btw)

but yeah you're gonna lose some juice for sure if you cut it regardless how you handle it afterwards but if you're cooking for yourself and wanna get it over with pretty fast and easy then i find it's worth it. The more you cuts make the dryer it will be so I end up just doing one in the thickest part that would have the most trouble cooking usually. if the breast is the centrepiece of the dish maybe just slow-fry it instead (is that a term? idk lol) but i should note i make chicken for pasta or salads 97% of the time so i don't mind it being slightly less juicy yknow? so long as it doesnt end up feeling like a sock in your mouth or gives you salmonella it's alright for me

i hope this all sorta makes sense im the drunkest ive been all year right now (thats the joke but last year too!)

Electric rings are the worst, never turn them on high because you can't turn the temperature down. You basically need to get good at cooking everything quickly on medium until you can use a better hob. It just means passing a lot more attention and constantly checking the food.

Good luck for next time
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

lrn2cook

Quote by Xiaoxi
I had to cook it on an electric stove I wonder if that contributed to the fail...

yeah, that'll do it. i know from experience to just never follow the exact directions on stove temps with an electric. you kind of just have to figure out how hot the coils get. kind of trial and error.

like when i have a recipe that says set the burner to med-low and simmer for x amount of time, i put it on the lowest it'll possibly go.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by GoldenGuitar
You fry up the skin until crispy, then you turn the flame right down (so that it's not touching the pan), put a lid on it but leave one side open to let some steam out. Then you cook the chicken for a while (a long while) using the risidual heat from the pan. Meat will cook at around 88C - 90ish C so as long as you leave it in long enough for the heat to penetrate to the core. It should be quite juicy and tender but the skin might not be crispy, but I guess you could heat up some oil afterwards and just fry the skin again.

No point in doing that. It would be better to sear it, flip it, and then finish it in the oven.

Quote by Xiaoxi
wow...

For the love of christ, don't slice your chicken like that. But even if you do, there are no juices until the meat starts cooking. If you do it properly, the heat should cauterize any slits or holes you make, so that's not a concern. If you make deep cuts on both sides, some juice will pool in the top side, and that's suboptimal, but a lot of that would escape anyway so it's less of an issue than it seems. (Fancy steakhouses will often have a steak tenderizer that's essentially a hydraulic press with a thousand needles that penetrate the meat all over everywhere to help break down connective tissue.)

Don't listen to this guy. Chef John is the real deal. Your stove is the issue here, and you need to figure out how best to utilize it. The thing about cooking is that you can't always just follow a recipe to the letter. Most stoves are different, most ovens are different. A cake recipe will say to bake for 25 minutes, but if your oven has a hot spot where you put the cake, it'll bake quicker.

If chicken breast is hard to cook, simply follow his steps. But instead of using the exact time frame he did (and in most of his videos he'll clarify how you can't expect to have the same exact cooking time), just LOOK AT THE CHICKEN. If the skin side is nice and golden brown, and the skin is nice and crispy, flip it and shove it into a 350 degree oven and cook for 20 minutes. Maybe 25 if your breasts are massive. Then remove from oven and make the pan sauce.

Note: make sure your frying pan doesn't have a plastic handle or you won't enjoy the experience of putting it in the oven. It's also best to avoid using teflon coated pans in ovens (and they're also not as good for making pan sauces since they don't develop as nice a fond), so a stainless steel pan would be best.
Last edited by justwanttosay at Jan 3, 2016,
I don't cook chicken any more because I am a vegetarian.

A foolproof technique i used to use came from a Jamie Oliver cookbook

You butterfly the chicken and rub on it some flour (to help make it crispy) and, in the recipe I used, some Cajun spices. Then you wrap it in some baking paper and hit it repeatedly with a wooden rolling pin.

The idea is that you flatten it all down to about 2cm thick so there's no bits that are too thick to cook through properly in a pan. It works well. The chicken still has juices and stuff at the end. But no raw bits inside.
Use your eyes & nose.

If it's burning turn that shit down (or take the pan off the heat for a minute or so if you have to). Unless you're doing other stuff and not watching it, I never understand how people burn food.

Cooking is never as simple as "do this, do that.. and you're done". Even when you've got some dude with an annoying voice on youtube holding your virtual hand through it.

..Unless you count a microwave as "cooking"
Last edited by sam b at Jan 3, 2016,
Cooking is fucking intuition. Different stoves, oils, ingredients, the pan you use etc. will have slightly different cooking times. A recipe is just a rough guide for how long you will cook something.

Sometimes a lasagne will take a full hour to bale but sometimes it will be done in 30 minutes because someone has had the oven on before me.

But yeah how can you burn food the only excuse it being absent minded. Cooking is east.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Sometimes a lasagne will take a full hour to bale

This is great, even though it's just a typo
Best unintentional typo ever

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I've yet to perfect baking chicken. It always comes out too dry.
Grilling, on the other hand...
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by justwanttosay
No point in doing that. It would be better to sear it, flip it, and then finish it in the oven.

Sadly, I don't own an oven. Or I would.
@Xiaoxi: Here's how I do it. First off, you don't want white meat. Dark meat is more flavorful, so get some thighs or drumsticks. Mix a cup of flour with a tsp of salt, tsp of pepper, and a tsp of paprika. Rinse the chicken (you can dip it in egg wash) and roll it in the flour/seasoning mix. Don't throw away the excess flour, you'll use it in the end to make gravy.

Heat a pan over medium/high heat. You'll know it's hot enough if you can drip a drop of water on it and it sizzles. Add your oil (or butter). Put the chicken in a piece at a time until the pan is full. I don't bothering covering the pan. Look at the sides of the chicken...once you see the color change about halfway up the meat you flip it over. You can cheat and just lift up the edge of one of the pieces to check it that way if you like.

When the chicken is done on both sides pull it out of the pan. Pour off any excess oil but not all. Add a little flour to the pan and use it to soak up any extra grease in the pan. Add water/milk in equal measure while whisking lightly until the flour is absorbed. Add salt/pepper/whatever to taste. Put this gravy on mashed potatoes, it kicks ass and clogs arteries.

The idea of searing the chicken then baking it the rest of the way is pretty good, btw. I don't have an oven safe pan though so that is out of the question.
Last edited by TobusRex at Jan 3, 2016,
Wow, thanks for all the tips and support!! I normally cook on a fire stove but was cooking at friend's house. Fuck electric coils!!!

The wounds are still healing...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by TobusRex
@Xiaoxi: Here's how I do it. First off, you don't want white meat. Dark meat is more flavorful, so get some thighs or drumsticks. Mix a cup of flour with a tsp of salt, tsp of pepper, and a tsp of paprika. Rinse the chicken (you can dip it in egg wash) and roll it in the flour/seasoning mix. Don't throw away the excess flour, you'll use it in the end to make gravy.

Heat a pan over medium/high heat. You'll know it's hot enough if you can drip a drop of water on it and it sizzles. Add your oil (or butter). Put the chicken in a piece at a time until the pan is full. I don't bothering covering the pan. Look at the sides of the chicken...once you see the color change about halfway up the meat you flip it over. You can cheat and just lift up the edge of one of the pieces to check it that way if you like.

When the chicken is done on both sides pull it out of the pan. Pour off any excess oil but not all. Add a little flour to the pan and use it to soak up any extra grease in the pan. Add water/milk in equal measure while whisking lightly until the flour is absorbed. Add salt/pepper/whatever to taste. Put this gravy on mashed potatoes, it kicks ass and clogs arteries.

The idea of searing the chicken then baking it the rest of the way is pretty good, btw. I don't have an oven safe pan though so that is out of the question.

First off, this isn't pan roasted chicken as much as it is fried chicken.... If you have skin, you don't need the flour.

Next, don't cook chicken in butter, especially if you're using dark meat. Butter burns too quickly. The only time butter is fine is if you're cooking thin white meat cutlets. You can use oil, or you can use butter+oil. Personally, I don't see a point in cooking it with butter when you use butter to finish the pan sauce.

Also, I prefer white meat to dark meat almost always. Not only is it healthier, but it has a much better texture. And it's quite juicy and flavorful when properly cooked.

This is a recipe for a much less healthy version of chicken.