I'm pretty new to recording outside of crappy handheld recorders so pardon the dumb question. But I just recently was gifted a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. Now I know I can plug my guitar straight into it. But my question is can I plug in my guitar with all my effects pedals into it? Or would I have to capture my amp with a mic if I want to use pedals?
But won't it sound like shit when you plug in straight into the audio interface? I'd recommend putting a microphone next to the amp and then record. But if I'm wrong, please correct me because this is all I know about this subject haha.
You'll need amp sim software or VST (guitar rig, pod farm, amplitube to name a few) to use with your interface unless you plan on micing your amp. You can put pedals in front of an interface though I've never liked the results and found VST effects to work better. Google is your friend on this one.
If you just want to record at home and not mess around with lots of cables and micing up and all that other stuff - which is frankly really annoying to do at home if you're not an experienced home studio - then here's my advice:

1. You've bought the Scarlett already (great, I love that thing)
2. Plug your guitar into the Scarlett
3. Buy Cubase 8 LE (https://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/buy_product/product/cubase-elements-8.html)
4. Set up Cubase with instructions found online
5. Cubase comes with something called the VST Rack, this is where you get amp models and effects
6. Play around with the presets until you find a tone you want to play with
7. Hit monitor and you can now hear your guitar with the desired tone

You don't want to be micing amps up at home because houses are noisey and amps are loud. The above allows you to cleanly record (with no buzzing or noise) with very little ease. The setup can be a bit stressful, and the learning curve for any DAW can be a little steep at first, but it's well worth it.

You don't /have/ to buy Cubase, but personally I found it to be very easy to learn and use. On top of that the preset amp models and other gear is really, really good. You don't need BIAS FX or any of that stuff when you first start out.

Feel free to message me if you need any support.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Hmmm.... I have a related question. I just bought a Audio Interface (Behringer FCA1616, still haven't received it) and was planning on just plugging the XLR line outs from my Amp into the AI using an XLR to 1/4" cable. If I do this, I was assuming I can just record the outputs of the amp to Audacity (or other software) and it would sound pretty close to the what comes out of the cabinet (the amp has a speaker sim for the line outs), and wouldn't need to add any effects or amp sims via software.

Is this correct? Or will I still need to add additional modeling in software?
Quote by lmychajluk
Hmmm.... I have a related question. I just bought a Audio Interface (Behringer FCA1616, still haven't received it) and was planning on just plugging the XLR line outs from my Amp into the AI using an XLR to 1/4" cable. If I do this, I was assuming I can just record the outputs of the amp to Audacity (or other software) and it would sound pretty close to the what comes out of the cabinet (the amp has a speaker sim for the line outs), and wouldn't need to add any effects or amp sims via software.

I don't have any experience doing it myself, but from what i've seen what you've said is probably correct. It should sound close enough. I wouldn't shy away from trying a real DAW and amp sims though; they're fun and open up a whole world of possibilities.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Thanks.

I'm mostly doing this at this point to learn how it's all done, so don't want to invest too much (got the interface at an open box price for ~25% off w/ full warranty). Besides Audacity and Guitar Pro, I have a license for Ableton 9 Lite, and I think the AI comes with a version of Tracktion, so I'll try each of these.

Edit - My amp (Yamaha THR100HD) has 2 distinct amps in one cabinet, with the output of each on different line outs, so I think I can set one to 'clean' and have both a relatively clean recording on one channel while being able to use the amp's models to get a dirty sound on the 2nd channel. Then I can decide which I want to keep, or make further edits to either (or both) in the software. It all sounds very interesting!
Last edited by lmychajluk at Jan 3, 2016,
Quote by lmychajluk
Thanks.

I'm mostly doing this at this point to learn how it's all done, so don't want to invest too much (got the interface at an open box price for ~25% off w/ full warranty). Besides Audacity and Guitar Pro, I have a license for Ableton 9 Lite, and I think the AI comes with a version of Tracktion, so I'll try each of these.

Edit - My amp (Yamaha THR100HD) has 2 distinct amps in one cabinet, with the output of each on different line outs, so I think I can set one to 'clean' and have both a relatively clean recording on one channel while being able to use the amp's models to get a dirty sound on the 2nd channel. Then I can decide which I want to keep, or make further edits to either (or both) in the software. It all sounds very interesting!

Yeah, it's a slippery slope mind Once you start getting into and being to see what you can do it's quite easy to start spending money for all kinds of software. A lot of people use Ableton and i can see why, but for whatever reason I just prefer Cubase - it probably looks nicer to me that's all.

Not to throw a spanner in the mix, but you can also do this:

Record the clean channel (creating a clean DI (direct input) signal) and then re-amp it back through your dirty channel and play with the dirty channels EQ in real time - then just record that. It's a common thing to record a DI signal and then re-amp it (re-amping means sending a clean recording through an amp and then recording that amp). It sounds like a hassle but it means you can have one perfect recording and then just play with all the amp tones to get it exactly how you want it!

I've only been doing the kind of amateur home studio stuff for about a year and what really helped me (and kept me interested/persevering) was channels on YouTube like Fluff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs9AN-WTBsWP72aewXlNKUA

He'll do 'how i mixed this song' or 'how to mix' and stuff like that. I can't say I fully understand everything he does - it's typically fairly advanced - but it's nice to see what you can do, and what you will be able to given enough time.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Thanks for the info everyone. I actually have a Joyo British Sound which is suppose to emulate a Marshall amp. Would that work to the same effect as the VST?
Quote by JTMGuitar
Thanks for the info everyone. I actually have a Joyo British Sound which is suppose to emulate a Marshall amp. Would that work to the same effect as the VST?

To a certain extent yes.

With DI/emulations, I've always preferred using impulses in lieu of all in one solutions as it lets you modify the tone a tonne more.

But for all intents, it will work. You'll need to be more careful with EQ/Compression to get your dialed tone.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Quote by JTMGuitar

I imagine that means 'plexi sound generic' It'll be roughly similar, it should do what you want it to.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by lmychajluk

Much better to record the speaker. The line out on most amps is crap.