Hi there.

Has any of you, wise folks, done a direct comparison of the same speaker cab in 8 ohm and 16 ohm? I wonder if there are any differences in tone. Not volume, just tone. Frequency response and such stuff.

This question might sound stupid, so let me explain. I have a chance to try out an Engl 2x12 Pro vertical cab. And that cab is 8 ohms, in mono, or 2x16 ohms in stereo. With two 16-ohm Celestion V30s in it, obviously.... But I would need to change the speakers for two 8-ohm V30s and wire them into 16 ohm mono. Which I cannot do before I buy the cab.

SO: How mouch would the sound of the 8-ohm mono wiring tell me about the sound of a possible 16-ohm mono wiring? Would there be a relevant similarity, or would they sound very different? In what way?

Thanx in advance for your replies.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Jan 3, 2016,
Never noticed a difference
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
if there is a difference it's going to be between nonexistent and incredibly subtle. unless you're A/Bing I doubt it would be noticeable (and even then).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you, gentlemen, that´s exactly what I needed to hear!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....