So I've got a beautiful VOX AC30C2 (Greenbacks) thats been my workhorse for the past few years but at the moment I'm a bit torn between sticking with her or moving on to a Hot Rod Deluxe.

Pretty much my big tone idea is versatility since I'm a session musician. I'm studying Jazz at University as well so obviously a thick, creamy jazz sound is really important to me. This is where the Fender calls. I do pretty much most of my gigs with cleans but what I love about the VOX is the versatility and that overdrive is just perfect when I play fusion gigs or similar.

I'm only able to have one due to lack of funds. The Fender would mean selling the VOX, and I'm really not sure what to do. Does anyone have any advice on whether I should stick to the VOX or move on to the Fender?

To summarize: session musician, main workhorse, will be used in recordings and live gigs. Main music played pop, jazz, funk, fusion.. can only have one

Thanks!
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
As much as I prefer the Vox by a mile personally, I feel like you really need the HRD or something like it. There are plenty of pedals that will make your hot rod sound decently vox-y, but it's much harder to turn the Vox into a great jazz amp.
Thanks for the reply man, I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to purchase a cheap and small clean amp to use for some gigs eg. Jazz club ones. If there is such a thing of course!

My budget would be really low, probably under $300, ideally $200 maximum. Really warm, thick and creamy cleans for jazz is the only thing that needs to be the focus. Any suggestions?
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
Yes - that's almost exactly what I've done. I have a Matchless type amp, and a solid state.

My SS amp is a Polytone, great for cleans and jazz. They're not exactly common but they tend to be very cheap used. I picked up a pair of them for $400, and they usually go for around $1K new. The build quality is excellent, they are made for gigging and will last . There are a few amps in that vein made for jazz that tend to be light, rugged, and a good bargain on the used market. Quilter, Polytone, Tech 21, DV Mark are all worth looking for used, in hopes of some luck. There are plenty of others, so keep an eye out for small-name brand jazz amps. They tend to be pretty good, and built for exactly what you want. You'll have to be very patient waiting for these to pop up, but they can be had for under $300 used.

In case you can't find one of those, I find that Acoustic (that's the brand name), any of the Roland Cubes, the old Crate Flexwave series, and the old Peavey Stereo Chorus amps in their higher wattage iterations are actually pretty decent for cleans, and are all very cheap new or used. You'll want the 100+ watt versions of all of those, and they tend to be heavy, but they're not bad if you need a loud, squeaky clean amp on the cheap. Another option is to find a used keyboard amp. I gigged an old Roland KC-550 for a few years, they work fine for guitar and they tend to be built well, and often with casters.
Mesa.

The HRD and the Vox are both great gig quality amps but a Mesa covers just about everything with Fender Princeton clean tone and world class OD. Find a Studio 22 or F-30/F-50 and never look back. Take one for a spin.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Having already engaged in a metaphorical coin-flip decision between a HRD and a Vox AC30 and winding up with the Fender...and still lusting after the Vox years later, I say you shouldn't swap one for the other.

I'd:

1) wait until I could buy the other amp without selling the one I have
2) find a different amp I could afford that provided the tones I want. The Carvin Nomad or Belair might do a good job as a HRD substitute. Some of their SS amps may also fit the bill.
3) sell the amp I own in order to buy an amp that covers both tones. I'm currently looking at the discontinued Mesa Transatlantic and Royal Atlantic, plus other boutique amps that attempt to cover a broad swath of Fender & Vox yumminess.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 4, 2016,
Hey Roc8995- the Fender Bassbreaker amps I just saw the other day...do you think they'd be a good option for Volcz? I haven't had a chance to try one, but you have, and mentioned they could get some "British" tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFjGJAd_v9A&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 4, 2016,
The 18/30 isn't great for jazz, and the 45 doesn't sound anything like a Vox. They're brand new so a used one is probably not an option. If the plan was to sell the Vox for a different amp, this one's probably not on the table.

The 45 is worth considering but I'm not sure it ticks all the boxes here.
I think selling the VOX is out of the question now.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I feel like the biggest issue is finding all this amps as I'm in Australia, and as I'm sure you all know
1. Over-priced
2. Can't find any musical gear here
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
With that added info, yeah- you've a good one in hand, so don't let it go.

Be patient, build up your budget, and in the meantime, do your research.

A bit late to the discussion, but thought I would mention a few things.

I am sure you can get Jazz out of a VOX. As Roc said it may not be easy as it is not exactly a Jazz-voiced amp, but I do not think your audience or session employers will turn you away if your amp is not a Fender. The overdrive on the newer Fenders is often considered to be less than great, not sure if that applies to the HRD as well. The VOX will help you out there. Be sure to play around with the tone controls in the Top Boost circuit as well. Maybe boost both treble and bass and use the Tone Cut?

Also an American-voiced speaker in place of one of the Greenbacks might help you out too.

And lastly if you could find one for a reasonable price, maybe a Blues Jr. could help you out. It is somewhat a deviation from traditional 6l6/6v6 sound (it uses EL84's) but it might be a good option for you. For gigs you might need to mic it as it is only 15w. Someone with more experience with them may be able to recommend or discourage more. Although in the US the HRD is just $200 more than the Blues Jr.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 5, 2016,
so if you need a fender thats cool, but jesus dont go from a ac30 with greenback to a hot rod deluxe. i think hot rods suck. great giging amps, but jeez i think thats a huge downgrade.

first off, i see no reason you can tweak the vox and get a good jazz tone?

i would rather see you in a pimped out blues junior, tweed version with a boutique speaker, than a hod rod.

if you are going to drop that sexy vox for a fender get a big boy fender and get one of those higher end ones, not a model suited for playing ACDC bag in a college bar 4 nights a week.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)