I'm going to university in a month, and instead of taking a cabinet, I've bought a pair of headphones to use with my amp (specifically Sennheiser HD380 Pro's). When I was testing my guitars and EQ'ing my amp to suit the 'phones, those that sounded best had EMG's (one a 7-string with an 81-7 and a 6-string with an 81).

I have an Epi LP with P90's that I want to take with me because I love the 50's neck, but the P90's don't sound that good through the headphones, and I'm a metal player primarily (the guitar was bought as a variety piece for less heavy tunage).

With that in mind, I'd like to swap the bridge P90 with an EMG P81. Anyone have any experience with these? How comparable are they with the humbucker-size 81 (bar the obvious P90-to-humbucker differences)?

Cheers!
You could've just gone on the EMG website to find out rather than make a thread about it.

Their website says they're literally just 81's in a P90-sized casing.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You could've just gone on the EMG website to find out rather than make a thread about it.

Their website says they're literally just 81's in a P90-sized casing.

Don't be a dick. The website doesn't even say that. The site says it uses the same components, not that it's literally 81's in a P90 casing.
Quote by leytp
Don't be a dick. The website doesn't even say that. The site says it uses the same components, not that it's literally 81's in a P90 casing.

Hence why I wanted to ask for clarification from people who'd used them. The only forum posts I could find didn't provide the answers I wanted.
Quote by leytp

Yeah. And being a different size it's likely to sound different.

I haven't tried it, so I can't help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by leytp

Don't be so pedantic. The components that actually mean anything to the way the guitar sounds are the same as an 81. If it looks like a pig, squeals like a pig and tastes like a pig, it is a pig.

If the 2 pickups were to sound different under identical conditions, then the internal components are not the same. And EMG would be lying.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 4, 2016,
yeah but to be fair if it's a different size it's likely to sound different. even if the components are the same. (and i'm not sure how it can be exactly the same if the size is different.)

if you ask me it's a perfectly valid question. plenty of companies claim things sound the same, and they don't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I guess if that's the case then it might sound the same.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought one last night, should be with me in a couple of weeks, guess I'll see how it sounds then!