I'd have the cymbals a bit louder, and maybe make use of a splash/ride to bring out the highs a bit more; I can also tell they're samples. What program are you using? I'd recommend something more real sounding: http://www.toontrack.com/product/ezdrummer-2/ It's a good bit of drum programming though. I'd also maybe have the drums a bit louder or guitars a bit quieter.

Try having the bass guitar double tracked (fully left and fully right) and bring the soloish guitar closer to the middle, and have the guitar that plays in the background of the solo double tracked L/R too. That should stop it sounding kind of thin for the solo. But that's totally more of a preference thing for me to do and solved a lot of my problems with 'thin sounding'.

I'd say don't be afraid to layer more as well though, it's not uncommon for songs to have a lot of different guitar tones layering on the same one.

I think it's a good mix overall though, here's a recording/mix I did in the same kind of genre for reference (https://soundcloud.com/tornintegral/super-metal-audition-rob-scallon-cover), so that should let you know as to whether to listen to me or not

It might also be cool to use two slightly different guitar tones for the main section rather than having the same tone for both L&R. It just offers a bit more colour and gives the impression that it's two recorded guitars rather than one that has been duplicated.

It's a good mix and recording though; I think the biggest difference you can do to improve right now is working with a stronger drum sample set - that'll really start to make your recordings/mixes pop.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I like the mix. I agree with Anthony. While kick drums sound fine to me, the snare is barely there and sounds thin (at least to me). I'm a "big snare" person so that just may be the sound you want but it sounds very weak and thin to me. I like the rest. Nice job.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Anthony1991
I'd have the cymbals a bit louder, and maybe make use of a splash/ride to bring out the highs a bit more; I can also tell they're samples. What program are you using? I'd recommend something more real sounding: http://www.toontrack.com/product/ezdrummer-2/ It's a good bit of drum programming though. I'd also maybe have the drums a bit louder or guitars a bit quieter.

Try having the bass guitar double tracked (fully left and fully right) and bring the soloish guitar closer to the middle, and have the guitar that plays in the background of the solo double tracked L/R too. That should stop it sounding kind of thin for the solo. But that's totally more of a preference thing for me to do and solved a lot of my problems with 'thin sounding'.

I'd say don't be afraid to layer more as well though, it's not uncommon for songs to have a lot of different guitar tones layering on the same one.

I think it's a good mix overall though, here's a recording/mix I did in the same kind of genre for reference (https://soundcloud.com/tornintegral/super-metal-audition-rob-scallon-cover), so that should let you know as to whether to listen to me or not

It might also be cool to use two slightly different guitar tones for the main section rather than having the same tone for both L&R. It just offers a bit more colour and gives the impression that it's two recorded guitars rather than one that has been duplicated.

It's a good mix and recording though; I think the biggest difference you can do to improve right now is working with a stronger drum sample set - that'll really start to make your recordings/mixes pop.

Yeah I'm using Superior Drummer 2.0/2.1. I gotta work on my EQing a lot more. I've played with the premise EQs but I can't really get anything to sound fat and punchy. Plus I don't know much about compression or EQing in general.

And the main part of the song ends after the verse, the solo thing was just me dicking around.

My setup is SD 2.0, Trilian Bass, Line 6 Pod HD Pro X
I was also intoxicated when I did the mix, (volume of the tracks). All the Eqing I did before hand.
I can tweak and tweak my guitars if they suck. Bass is heavily compressed and the drums are an entity and I have no idea how to get them to sound so fat that they make someone's mom look skinny.
Doesn't sound bad at all. Snare could do with more high end and a bit less compression.
Guitars sound like they should be edited to be tighter but otherwise sound pretty good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Doesn't sound bad at all. Snare could do with more high end and a bit less compression.
Guitars sound like they should be edited to be tighter but otherwise sound pretty good.

Yeah the guitars are dry. I didn't add any post EQ or anything. I didn't even trim the excess noise off. I was highly intoxicated when I recorded this and put it together.
I did notice some low end build up - trim some low end off with a high pass filter.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I did notice some low end build up - trim some low end off with a high pass filter.

On my Pod I have a filter at 120hz and one set at 7.7k, do I need to change the settings? I can probably increase it. Now that I think about it, it could be 180 instead of 120. Not sure though.

And by "dry" I mean nothing is done in my DAW. The tone that you hear is what's actually coming through.
Last edited by Sir Stoney at Jan 4, 2016,
Never mind then, no wonder it sounds decent on the way in.

I think your bass and kick might be fighting. I would high pass the kick around ~80hz to let the bass control the subs.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Okay I will definitely try that. Any tips on the snare to get it to sound fatter than a land manatee? Also I appreciate you and everyone else for your tips. I wanna know more and more about mucin and getting killer sounds. It takes practice and knowledge.
Listening back I think I used too much gain. The guitars are sorta muddy and not as clear as id like. Would less gain and more mods help? Maybe more highs or compression?
Turn down the gain first. Hold off on anything else for now
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Sir Stoney
I was also intoxicated when I did the mix, (volume of the tracks). All the Eqing I did before hand.
I can tweak and tweak my guitars if they suck. Bass is heavily compressed and the drums are an entity and I have no idea how to get them to sound so fat that they make someone's mom look skinny.

Probably best to submit work for feedback when not drunk for an immediate drum fix try going into the eq for the drum track and push the high frequency volumes, that'll give everything an immediate kick in the nuts.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Hey man how come you didn't post this in the original recordings sub-section of this forum?
Quote by apothegm
Hey man how come you didn't post this in the original recordings sub-section of this forum?

Because he wanted mix critiques which nobody gives in Original Recordings?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by apothegm

Because it's not an original recording.

I take songs I know and do the drums and bass then record my guitar over it. It's quicker to work on mixing instead of using a piece of an unfinished song.

Cease All Your Fire - Trivium
Quote by oneblackened
Because he wanted mix critiques which nobody gives in Original Recordings?

I'd have to say you are lying. But I know stating opinions as facts makes egos feel better so I'll let you have that, however it makes you look bad!
Quote by Sir Stoney
Because it's not an original recording.

I take songs I know and do the drums and bass then record my guitar over it. It's quicker to work on mixing instead of using a piece of an unfinished song.

Cease All Your Fire - Trivium

There is also a cover song sub-forum. I guess I'll just post my stuff wherever I want too!
Quote by apothegm
There is also a cover song sub-forum. I guess I'll just post my stuff wherever I want too!

So I'm asking someone to critic my mix, but I'm not allowed to post covers cause there is a sub forum for that, or originals because there is a forum for that? I don't see the logic. I have a piece of music, regardless of what it is. I mixed it. I recorded it. It's 1 minute long, it's a fragment to work on mixing. I put it in the section where people post their mixes, I get told I'm not supposed to do that.