1ST GUITAR:so my dad was at a local pawn shop in Brisbane (Australia) and found these 2 Gibson
he told me that the owner of the shop said the black beauty (with the 3 pickups) is a 1982,83 or 84 he wasn't sure and im not sure either so it might be something completerly different. it looks pretty legit and was very heavy, there are no picture of the front of the head stock but it does have the correct logo, i had seen it before

2ND GUITAR: as for the second, well fuck ive never seen anything like it so could anyone try to identify it?
it also has an unpainted mahogany neck.

heres a gallary of images.
here!
Last edited by molten oxide at Jan 4, 2016,
The First looks to be a black beauty of some sort and the second is an 80s Gibson Sonex guitar. They're really neat.
Last edited by thatfenderguy at Jan 4, 2016,
1st guitar - The serial number font and the slots on the bridge height adjustment posts suggest that it's a copy.

2nd guitar - I have seen that model once before and thought it was a fake but turned out to be a legit Gibson.
The "black beauty" is fake. Dont even consider it.

Just an FYI:

Les Paul customs come with Ebony fingerboards and they look black. Not the rosewood and super brown like the guitar in your picture. Also, those inlays are not MOP.

The bridge is also pretty dead ringer for chinese manufacture. Gibson doesnt offer nashville or abr style bridges with slotted tops. They are all adjusted with thumbwheels.

Toggle switch isnt a switchcraft. Gibson pickup rings have their screws flush along the top. Heck even the cutaway on the guitar is the wrong shape.

Also that poorly done fake serial number makes it a 96. Dont know where you guys pulled 84 out from.

Its junk. If the tuners are real grovers they'd be worth more than the guitar to me.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jan 4, 2016,
the custom is fake.

it's a Chibson.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
the second one made me throw up in my mouth.

i'd avoid both.
Avoid and avoid.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Tony Done
Could the Sonex be genuine? I couldn't see anything obviously wrong with it, except the (possibly replaced) tuners and maybe the non-engraved truss rod cover.

looks like the Sonex i used to have except perhaps the tuners. can't see anyone trying to fake them as they really aren't worth much.
Yeah, as stated above, the Sonex looks real. Most of the time, three screw truss rod covers are a good way to spot fakes, but Gibson did make some Sonex guitars that had them. The bridge and hardware look correct, too. That said, it looks like there has been a repair done to the headstock. There is a chance that it was a good repair, but there is also a possibility that it wasn't. I don't know what the shop is asking for it, but you could probably do much better for the money.

The LP Custom, on the other hand, is a fake--and not a particularly good one, either. I would avoid it like the plague.
thanks for the advice im not going near the custom, but he does want 350 for the sonex so might grab it! thank you
Quote by molten oxide
thanks for the advice im not going near the custom, but he does want 350 for the sonex so might grab it! thank you

That's about $250, American, which is pretty cheap for a Sonex. However, I would pass on it. Again, it looks to me like that headstock has been repaired and, if it wasn't done right, that could be a real nightmare. There are much better and more reliable guitars at that price-point, on the used market.
maybe consider something that doesn't say gibson on it.
Quote by gregs1020
maybe consider something that doesn't say gibson on it.

But the name is so alluring, maaaaan.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
But the name is so alluring, maaaaan.

i believe that's called the headstock tax.
Quote by gregs1020
i believe that's called the headstock privilege

Checked that for you.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee