There aren't any helix reviews on this site. In fact there's only a few on the web in general. Does anyone have any thoughts about it ? It seems too good to be true - which means it probably is !
There are lots. In fact, if you go to the TGP site, there's at least one 900-page thread on the Helix and a bunch of smaller ones. Even old stalwart "if it ain't got tubes, it ain't S**t" MLP is showing up with Helix and Axe-FX and Kemper users!

You just need to sharpen your google-fu.

And remember that the Helix is very new, relatively expensive ($1500 for the floor model) and still being updated. The rack version isn't even available yet. Last time I talked to the Line 6 boys in Calabasas, they suggested that I hold off buying a Helix until after they start shipping some new things they're introducing at NAMM in a couple of weeks. They're going to start adding FX, etc., to the unit beginning with version 1.05 of the firmware, but I'd also expect some other items (IRs, etc.) that will be available for purchase. Some of the same folks who've been doing IRs for Kempers, etc., are working up packages for the Helix as well.

This site seems far more oriented to beginners. Check out the electric guitar section under instruments and you'll find a lot of "which guitar should I get" with a list of (usually) cheap guitars.

Very few higher-end modeler users and a lot of folks who bash Line 6 in general largely because it was the brand name on their first beginner amp.
I'm definitely into it. I liked my HD500 a lot, and I definitely prefer floorboards to things like the Kemper and Axe. I'd like to scoop one up on the used market when prices come down.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I actually got one when they came out at the end of October and have been meaning to do a NGD and brief rundown on it. So far I've been really happy with it to the point where I've dumped my HD500.

For myself and my setup, the tones and sounds are there and it has got to be one of the easiest pieces of gear I've used for menu navigation, patch setup creation, etc. I've definitely found it a marked improvement over my HD unit and although it is a little steep in price, the value has been there for me.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
I actually got one when they came out at the end of October and have been meaning to do a NGD and brief rundown on it. So far I've been really happy with it to the point where I've dumped my HD500.

For myself and my setup, the tones and sounds are there and it has got to be one of the easiest pieces of gear I've used for menu navigation, patch setup creation, etc. I've definitely found it a marked improvement over my HD unit and although it is a little steep in price, the value has been there for me.

I wouldn't mind a review if you care to post one.

I have a HD bean pod, and that was like 200 bucks, is the Helix really worth it for 1500$? In terms of sound quality, let's say for strictly studio use? I'm also interested in how it compares to a Kemper, as the price difference isn't too much of a leap.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Although I can appreciate where they're trying to go with the Helix I'm with dspellman on this. I think the product needs to mature a bit before I'd be interested. Unless I can see some real meaningful differences that might overcome some specific limitations I've encountered on the POD HD series, I'm not willing to bite. But then that's also the reason I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 either.
Quote by Kevätuhri
I wouldn't mind a review if you care to post one.

I have a HD bean pod, and that was like 200 bucks, is the Helix really worth it for 1500$? In terms of sound quality, let's say for strictly studio use? I'm also interested in how it compares to a Kemper, as the price difference isn't too much of a leap.

I'll try and put my head down and get some type of review together by the weekend for those that are interested. Do you guys think it would be more beneficial/proper to submit a formal one for the reviews section or just a thread based one for GG&A?

Unfortunately I can't speak for sound quality in comparison to a Kemper or an Axe FX, both those units are fairly rare in my area and let's be honest, that can also be fairly subjective as well. I do own an Eleven Rack so I could do some "blind comparison" tracks if people are interested. In hindsight, maybe I should have held onto my HD500 a little longer to work in with this also.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
Do you guys think it would be more beneficial/proper to submit a formal one for the reviews section or just a thread based one for GG&A?

Unfortunately I can't speak for sound quality in comparison to a Kemper or an Axe FX, both those units are fairly rare in my area and let's be honest, that can also be fairly subjective as well.

I'd go with "thread-based" for GG&A (it might get more attention more quickly).

And I don't know that a sound quality comparison is particularly useful anyway -- most of these recent higher-end units are amazingly good in that department and all can be tweaked endlessly.

Usability has certainly been addressed in the Helix, including switching, lighting indicators, electronic scribble strips, ease of editing, etc. There are features in some of the newer pieces (Helix, Atomic Amplifire, Torpedo C.A.B.) that will open some eyes. The files that the Torpedo units use to combine groups of IRs to allow virtual microphone placement and ease IR auditioning don't show up in a spec sheet, but offer significant process progress over the Kemper/Axe/Atomic, etc. groups of products.

The ability of the Helix to use IRs that allow a piezo-equipped guitar to imitate a specific Taylor guitar (a free download) soundwise is notable.

I'm thinking that we're only scratching the surface of some of these newer units, and that we're going to be finding that we almost need some retraining to understand what's going on on page 69 of the manual, etc.

With a routine tube amp, including those new manufacturers bring online, things are single-digit IQ simple. With some of the newer design modeling units, we're going to be having a lot of "Whoa. Wait. WHAT?" moments.
Quote by dspellman

The ability of the Helix to use IRs that allow a piezo-equipped guitar to imitate a specific Taylor guitar (a free download) soundwise is notable.

That's actually really cool. Do they have any clips up demonstrating that technology?
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I have them in the shop right now. I've demonstrated this product for many clients and everyone of them left the shop with one very happy. I also have the Kemper Profilers in the shop as well, and they fly out of here as well. These are two different beasts with some crossover on amp modeling and multi-effects, but the floor based Helix is very new and very popular. Like all folks in music retail, we are waiting to see what new products await us at winter NAMM, but rest assured that this product will not be obsolete in such a short time after its introduction. I expect updates and new features to be added in times ahead.
Quote by Kevätuhri
That's actually really cool. Do they have any clips up demonstrating that technology?

Yeah, they do. There's at least one YouTube clip that features a worship guitar player wearing an Old Navy sweat shirt playing one of those "hybrid" guitars (like a Taylor T5, but not). I can't find it at the moment, but it's out there.